Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where?
New York City 16 3.10%
Greater Boston 32 6.20%
Philly 38 7.36%
DC/N. Virginia 50 9.69%
Raleigh/NC Research Triangle 32 6.20%
Austin 48 9.30%
San Francisco/Bay Area/Silicon Valley 13 2.52%
Baltimore 11 2.13%
Toronto 33 6.40%
Pittsburgh 35 6.78%
Chicago 99 19.19%
Atlanta 109 21.12%
Voters: 516. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:29 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,827 times

Advertisements

One thing that is pertinent is what kind of impact Amazon itself wants to have on the host city.

If Amazon wants to be in city where it is one of many big corporations then NYC, Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit {not that I think it had any chance to begin with}and Dallas are obviously the front runners. It would also probably wipe out Boston due to it's huge academic institutions and Washington due to the overwhelming presence of government and Ottawa as well. Philly and Montreal sort of middle of the impact.

If, however, it wants to be a very dominant player in the city where when one thinks of the particular city and wants Amazon automatically to be the one of the first things they think of, then that really helps some of the smaller centers. There is a certain cache of being THE company that helped transform a city and also gives Amazon huge sway with the money and political power that comes with it.

To me that narrows things down to 4 primary contenders..........Minni/SP, Denver, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. I still think Amazon is looking for n Eastern time zone which brings things down to 2 main contenders...........Cleveland and Pittsburgh. India/Nash/Cinn/Col/Ral/Char/Aust have almost no urban transit which Amazon stressed.

If Amazon is looking for a major centre with other main industries then I think it's down to Bos/Tor/Phil/Wash, and possibly Chicago. If it wants however to be in a centre where it can be transformative and have heavy civic influence {and the money and political influence that comes with it} then I think it's down to Cleve/Pitts and my vote goes to Cleveland.

It's not just about who checks the most boxes but also how much Amazon itself wants to effect the city.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:49 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
True. I am wrong about that. Also NYC. But in these two instances, the tax rates and COL aren’t as attractive as the PA/NJ/DE package.
Don't think COL is a factor.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Why do you see it that way? Locations with lower COL offer Amazon the opportunity to pay less for their new digs, as well as a lower payroll.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:00 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Amazon's initial press release emphatically said that it was.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Amazon's initial press release emphatically said that it was.
In that case, congrats to you DFW because most of the cities mentioned are expensive as hell.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:09 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Why do you see it that way? Locations with lower COL offer Amazon the opportunity to pay less for their new digs, as well as a lower payroll.
They said theyd offer 50,000 jobs with an average of 6 figure salaries, so it seems no matter where they go, they're gonna be paying out a lot of money. COL is a factor, but I think people are too focused on home and rent prices. I feel Amazon wants cheaper office space and land more so than cheaper homes for employees.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:29 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
They said theyd offer 50,000 jobs with an average of 6 figure salaries, so it seems no matter where they go, they're gonna be paying out a lot of money. COL is a factor, but I think people are too focused on home and rent prices. I feel Amazon wants cheaper office space and land more so than cheaper homes for employees.

"Please include information on your community with respect to daily living, recreational
opportunities, diversity of housing options, availability of housing near potential sites for HQ2,
and pricing
, among other information. Please also include relevant crime data and cost of living
data.
"

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....516043504_.pdf

Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:

"Please include information on your community with respect to daily living, recreational
opportunities, diversity of housing options, availability of housing near potential sites for HQ2,
and pricing
, among other information. Please also include relevant crime data and cost of living
data.
"

Well ok, they said we'd like to see COL, crime, and housing data. That's pretty normal right, that's a complete picture. It's not like they said your COL index has to be below 100.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:48 PM

499 posts, read 668,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
One thing that is pertinent is what kind of impact Amazon itself wants to have on the host city.

If Amazon wants to be in city where it is one of many big corporations then NYC, Toronto, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit {not that I think it had any chance to begin with}and Dallas are obviously the front runners. It would also probably wipe out Boston due to it's huge academic institutions and Washington due to the overwhelming presence of government and Ottawa as well. Philly and Montreal sort of middle of the impact.

If, however, it wants to be a very dominant player in the city where when one thinks of the particular city and wants Amazon automatically to be the one of the first things they think of, then that really helps some of the smaller centers. There is a certain cache of being THE company that helped transform a city and also gives Amazon huge sway with the money and political power that comes with it.

To me that narrows things down to 4 primary contenders..........Minni/SP, Denver, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh. I still think Amazon is looking for n Eastern time zone which brings things down to 2 main contenders...........Cleveland and Pittsburgh. India/Nash/Cinn/Col/Ral/Char/Aust have almost no urban transit which Amazon stressed.

If Amazon is looking for a major centre with other main industries then I think it's down to Bos/Tor/Phil/Wash, and possibly Chicago. If it wants however to be in a centre where it can be transformative and have heavy civic influence {and the money and political influence that comes with it} then I think it's down to Cleve/Pitts and my vote goes to Cleveland.

It's not just about who checks the most boxes but also how much Amazon itself wants to effect the city.
I think Baltimore has a real chance, also not very much mentioned but I think Amazon does want to be on the water if HQ2 is supposed to be an equal to HQ1 in Seattle.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:51 PM

499 posts, read 668,401 times
Quote:

and pricing
data.
"

Quote:
Well ok, they said we'd like to see COL, crime, and housing data. That's pretty normal right, that's a complete picture. It's not like they said your COL index has to be below 100.
Interesting talking about "crime" and "safe neighborhoods" is against the law for real estate agents afaik.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.