U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 AM

47 posts, read 122,487 times

Advertisements

Help me to exclude 5 states that aren't worth living in compared to others and why you think so?

Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Wisconsin

Last edited by Synopsis; 03-18-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,320,912 times
For me, i'd exclude IN, MI, NC, NY, and OH. But that's just me. And for NY, if you're talking about the city area, than take it off my list. Those were just some states i couldn't see myself living in, im not putting them down or anything because ive been to each and each state they're all great

Last edited by Billiam; 03-15-2008 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-15-2008, 10:28 AM

4,229 posts, read 15,406,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperMan View Post
Help me to exclude 5 states that don't worth living in comparing to other and why you think so?

Illinois
Indiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Wisconsin
Please explain what you mean by "don't worth living in?" I'm confused

Old 03-15-2008, 11:03 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
They are all worth living in. Depends on what you are looking for is all. All of them have cities, all have rural areas. Every state on your list has some very beautiful areas as well as some real crap areas.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
They are all worth living in. Depends on what you are looking for is all. All of them have cities, all have rural areas. Every state on your list has some very beautiful areas as well as some real crap areas.
I cant live in every of them so i trying to contract this list. I thinking to live in City of at least 40-50k better close to some large town.

I have heard that Chicago and Cleveland have very ugly architecture is that true?

Old 03-15-2008, 12:05 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,152,361 times
Personally, depending on what you do for a living, I would seriously look around the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. Close to some truly world class beaches, lower cost of living, close to large cities. Right now there are plenty of people who are very down on the state, but there is no denying the natural beauty of the state. If you have an in demand job, the pay scale is very good and couple that with lower home prices, and a buyers market, it is a good place to get into. Detroit is a pit, but it has been for as long as I can remember.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Personally, depending on what you do for a living, I would seriously look around the Grand Rapids area of Michigan. Close to some truly world class beaches, lower cost of living, close to large cities. Right now there are plenty of people who are very down on the state, but there is no denying the natural beauty of the state. If you have an in demand job, the pay scale is very good and couple that with lower home prices, and a buyers market, it is a good place to get into. Detroit is a pit, but it has been for as long as I can remember.
~200k population is okay though 150miles to real big though indeed ugly (judging from google street view) city Detroit is kind of long way.
Dont think "world class beaches" around there can match to florida, california, chicago or orvirginia beaches...

Right now i trying to think of a state, i leave choosing city for bit later.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM

334 posts, read 1,261,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperMan View Post
~200k population is okay though 150miles to real big though indeed ugly (judging from google street view) city Detroit is kind of long way.
Dont think "world class beaches" around there can match to florida, california, chicago or orvirginia beaches...

Right now i trying to think of a state, i leave choosing city for bit later.
Grand rapids is awesome, 150 miles to Chicago or Detroit. Downtown Detroit is good for sports, music, food. But yeah not a place to live or shop in. California beaches ok, but FL, Chicago beaches.....heck no. Check out the sleeping bear dunes, and up and down lake michigan, lake superior, it's very nice.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 PM

53 posts, read 198,818 times
Well if it were me I would exclude Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Ohio.

Mostly because I don't like cold cloudy weather. which is more prominent in the Great Lakes than the northeast.
But also there's not much to these states outside of the major cities. Big ag industry. And a lot less diversity.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:28 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,613,843 times
Well, here in Indiana, we'd like for our residents to at least be able to communicate properly ... granted, it's not always the case, but in your case, you can keep us on your list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or