U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-14-2017, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,256 posts, read 541,764 times
Reputation: 1981

Advertisements

"Coast - noun. The part of the land near the sea."

*
Nowhere in the actual definition will you find variances in wind speed, wave height, temperature, size of cities in proximation to, politics, elitists, flyover country, geographic knowledge (or lack thereof), television shows, popular beaches, color of sand, degrees of vastness, whether it looks like a coast, or feels like a coast.

*
What you think about a thing does not define what is it. I can't believe this is an actual conversation, and I now really understand the dumbing down of America. It's embarrassing.

"Geography and stuff is all relative, man. Like, if I don't think a place is nice enough to be called an island, I just pretty much ignore it, dude. Like, comparing the Gulf Coast to the West Coast is just insulting and offensive...I mean it hurts my feelings, bro. I mean, we have Baywatch here. Like, they don't even know what a coast is. They should look up the meaning of the word, dude."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-14-2017, 04:50 PM
 
5,423 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Reputation: 10139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
"Coast - noun. The part of the land near the sea."

*
Nowhere in the actual definition will you find variances in wind speed, wave height, temperature, size of cities in proximation to, politics, elitists, flyover country, geographic knowledge (or lack thereof), television shows, popular beaches, color of sand, degrees of vastness, whether it looks like a coast, or feels like a coast.

*
What you think about a thing does not define what is it. I can't believe this is an actual conversation, and I now really understand the dumbing down of America. It's embarrassing.

"Geography and stuff is all relative, man. Like, if I don't think a place is nice enough to be called an island, I just pretty much ignore it, dude. Like, comparing the Gulf Coast to the West Coast is just insulting and offensive...I mean it hurts my feelings, bro. I mean, we have Baywatch here. Like, they don't even know what a coast is. They should look up the meaning of the word, dude."
This!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM
 
101 posts, read 54,103 times
Reputation: 80
Yes, But the gulf coast if it did not have differences in wave height and what not makes it distinct from the east coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,256 posts, read 541,764 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedean1878 View Post
Yes, But the gulf coast if it did not have differences in wave height and what not makes it distinct from the east coast.
Each Coast is distinctive.
There is a Western culture, an Eastern culture, and a Southern Culture.
I prefer the Pacific side over the Atlantic side, but I LOVE the Emerald Coast best of all.
Maine is IMO the most beautiful state in the US.
NYC is my favorite place on earth.
Pacific Coast Hwy is on my bucket list.
East Coast is "Lobstah" rolls in the North and BBQ in the South.
West Coast is Cali cuisine and amazing food trucks.
Gulf Coast is "South ya mouth", "Slap Yo Mama" spicy Cajun comfort food.
All have water, waves, beaches, and people that call it home.

All are coasts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 11:45 AM
 
Location: East Coast
474 posts, read 273,093 times
Reputation: 562
It's called "Gulf Coast" it's a coast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 01:08 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,279,483 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
"Coast - noun. The part of the land near the sea."

*
Nowhere in the actual definition will you find variances in wind speed, wave height, temperature, size of cities in proximation to, politics, elitists, flyover country, geographic knowledge (or lack thereof), television shows, popular beaches, color of sand, degrees of vastness, whether it looks like a coast, or feels like a coast.

*
What you think about a thing does not define what is it. I can't believe this is an actual conversation, and I now really understand the dumbing down of America. It's embarrassing.

"Geography and stuff is all relative, man. Like, if I don't think a place is nice enough to be called an island, I just pretty much ignore it, dude. Like, comparing the Gulf Coast to the West Coast is just insulting and offensive...I mean it hurts my feelings, bro. I mean, we have Baywatch here. Like, they don't even know what a coast is. They should look up the meaning of the word, dude."
The literal definition is already understood, but the context the OP was meaning to purvey was more related to how the Gulf fits in whenever the media talks about "the coasts."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's obvious that his real question is "Why is the phrase 'the coasts' typically exclusive of the Gulf Coast?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast
1,256 posts, read 541,764 times
Reputation: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
The literal definition is already understood, but the context the OP was meaning to purvey was more related to how the Gulf fits in whenever the media talks about "the coasts."
I guess I don't really care what the media thinks, says, does, or implies. They are so divisive about everything, it would be no surprise to me if they should attempt to pit coasts against each other in some imaginary competition. How can someone enjoy their life when they are preoccupied with something so trivial?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 02:13 PM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,279,483 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
I guess I don't really care what the media thinks, says, does, or implies. They are so divisive about everything, it would be no surprise to me if they should attempt to pit coasts against each other in some imaginary competition. How can someone enjoy their life when they are preoccupied with something so trivial?
That may be the case, but ultimately it doesn't matter: in the end, the OP has in inquiry on this matter, and that is to be respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2017, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Big Bayou
721 posts, read 299,167 times
Reputation: 988
Gulf Coast culture is as distinctive from east coast culture or west coast culture as east and west coast culture are from each other. So, the Gulf coast exists as a cultural entity, which I think is what OP was getting at (I hope for OP's sake anyway) because if OP was actually wondering if the Gulf coast geographically exists than I don't know what to say other than of course it does...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,158,248 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
Gulf Coast culture is as distinctive from east coast culture or west coast culture as east and west coast culture are from each other. So, the Gulf coast exists as a cultural entity, which I think is what OP was getting at (I hope for OP's sake anyway) because if OP was actually wondering if the Gulf coast geographically exists than I don't know what to say other than of course it does...
I would disagree slightly, simply because the Gulf is technically part of the Atlantic. The differences between Charleston and New Orleans aren't nearly as drastic as those between the former and San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top