U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 PM

5,430 posts, read 2,827,948 times

Advertisements

I sure do. East Coast, West Coast, and Gulf Coast each have tidal patterns different from the other two. So they not only have them but they are distinct to each coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 12:30 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,072,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
No. East coasters look down upon the flyover country.
Honestly, I've never really heard anyone from the Northeast or the West outside of CA suggest that places like Tampa or Sarasota or Ft. Myers are not on a real coast or that area included in conversations in flyover country. And to the other poster later in the thread, the term "Gulf Coast" isn't a city-data thing, it's a pretty regular reference to the region.

Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 AM

5,441 posts, read 8,153,163 times
Well everyone not on C-D does, so yes.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:27 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
The millions of people who live along the Gulf Coast consider it a coast. It's wacko to call it or think it anything else.

People can get childish and try to initiate region wars if they want - slamming other areas - but in the end, they only end up looking like fools.

What's next; doubting we should call the Blue Ridge "Mountains" that because they're nowhere near the height of the Rocky Mountains?

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-10-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 09-10-2017, 12:45 PM

7,823 posts, read 12,330,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Honestly, I've never really heard anyone from the Northeast or the West outside of CA suggest that places like Tampa or Sarasota or Ft. Myers are not on a real coast or that area included in conversations in flyover country. And to the other poster later in the thread, the term "Gulf Coast" isn't a city-data thing, it's a pretty regular reference to the region.
I personally consider the Gulf coast to be a state but I've read articles in the media where a journalist is here in Louisiana talking about the disconnect between voters in Lafayette and those "on the coasts" which they really mean the East and West Coasts.

I think Alabama and Mississippi are also often considered flyover country despite being coastal states.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:10 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,143,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I personally consider the Gulf coast to be a state
Wow And you created this thread because of that??

Old 09-10-2017, 01:54 PM

204 posts, read 162,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Only someone trolling to get a reaction out of others would not consider it to be a big deal. There's absolutely no reason to not consider it a major coast, and outside Wikipedia I've never even heard anyone refer to it as the "Third Coast."
Trolling it may be, that really is a thing of people living in "The South" to refer to that body of water as "The Third Coast" or "The South Coast." I've heard both terms interchangeably in Mississippi from relatives and others from the Mississippi Gulf Coast when referring to the Mississippi Gulf Coast and New Orleans as "The Third Coast" or "The South Coast." It is a little arrogant, but people really refer to it as that. Here's the Wikipedia page for "Third Coast. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Coast

What you call the Gulf Coast really depends on who you ask and where you ask.

Other Terms: Emerald Coast: Pensacola Beach to Mexico Beach, FL https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Coast

Redneck Riviera: Same as above, but an older term, and it always included the Alabama Gulf Coast from Perdido Key to Fort Morgan. Occasionally included Dauphin Island and the Mississippi Gulf Coast, but not always.

Forgotten Coast: Apalachicola area and St. George's Island. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgotten_Coast

Old 09-10-2017, 01:59 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I never once in my life heard of this "coastal elite" bull before joining this forum. But it's mentioned here all the time. I've lived on the coast all my life and AFAIK normal people here on the coast don't think like that.
It's a very real thing, you probably don't notice it because you are from there.

I've known many people from the coasts, from college, transplants, and my own visiting.

Many times when I've met someone from Boston or NYC they confuse Idaho where I grew up with Ohio, Indiana or Iowa. When I point out they are different places I usually get poo pooed. "Yeah whats the difference, anyway." or "Yeah it's all flyover country." or some version of that. The fact that these areas are over a thousand miles apart or different regions of "flyover" country seems to be totally lost on them.

Its incredible how multicultural and international a place like NYC can be and yet most of them don't know a thing about most of their own country. One of my friend's cousins visiting from Manhattan gave me a hard time for not have eaten Ethiopian food before, yet merely moments before he though Idaho was flat and in the Midwest.

That encounter is pretty typical.

The fact that this discussion is even happening is a symptom of coastal elitism. Of course the gulf coast is a real coast, what a stupid discussion.

Last edited by Treasurevalley92; 09-10-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 09-10-2017, 02:13 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,006,351 times
The best food in America is from the Gulf Coast states.

Old 09-10-2017, 02:16 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,972,968 times
Interesting. I hadn't really thought about this before. Being from FL without a doubt I hear "Gulf Coast" a lot. I have always considered the west coast of FL to be coastal. I have never really thought too much about that for the rest of the region (TX, MS, AL, FL panhandle) I've always known them as part of the Gulf Coast but I've never thought about them being coastal or not. My inclination would definitely be to call them "coastal," as the Gulf Coast should absolutely apply. But that said, I do get the connotation of "coastal" cities vs the rest of the country (in terms of elitism, importance, vibe, etc) and the Gulf Coast region is different from the East and West Coasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or