U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 06:29 PM

23,050 posts, read 35,003,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernProper View Post
No popular beach associated with this region?

Who is this person? A trolling teenager? Cause he can't be serious.

So I suppose the hoard of Spring Breakers that invade Orange Beach, Destin, Panama City Beach, Rosemary Beach, Biloxi, Perdido, Pensacola Beach, Fort Walton Beach, Tampa, St. Pete ... they're imaginary.

The stupidest thread I've ever seen.
One visit to the Destin area on a summer weekend would undo that myth. I've never been to a more congested community in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 53,227 times
Yes, the Gulf Coast is a coast and water is wet.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Gulf has no megacities directly on the coastline. There's no popular beach/ocean culture associated with this region. It's moreso known for its swamps and marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
No beach culture? Tell that to the sugar-sand beach towns that got whipped by hurricanes...you know, those storms that coastal towns are especially vulnerable in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Ugh, are you sure?
By "beach culture," the poster is probably referring more to a sort of "brand." That is, the beach cultures in places like LA, Miami, or Jersey Shore have branding to the point of entire clothing lines, TV shows, followings, all leading up to an identifiable "scene."

The Gulf has popular beaches, no doubt, but the cities on said beaches just aren't large to the point of having a type of well-known scene. And of course, the beaches near most of the large cities (Houston, NOLA) are either poor or non-existent (respectively).

Old 09-10-2017, 07:13 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
By "beach culture," the poster is probably referring more to a sort of "brand." That is, the beach cultures in places like LA, Miami, or Jersey Shore have branding to the point of entire clothing lines, TV shows, followings, all leading up to an identifiable "scene."

The Gulf has popular beaches, no doubt, but the cities on said beaches just aren't large to the point of having a type of well-known scene. And of course, the beaches near most of the large cities (Houston, NOLA) are either poor or non-existent (respectively).

Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM

706 posts, read 513,054 times
OP have you even seen the news as of late?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:49 PM

459 posts, read 340,516 times
This is a strange question. LOL!

Old 09-11-2017, 01:51 AM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post

I still don't know what the hell you guys are talking about lol, I grew up in the Northeast, and I wasn't really into beaches until I moved to the South. The only Major Cities to have a STRONG beach culture, are Miami and LA. But The Gulf Coast has a beach culture, and it's completly different from the East and West. From my experience, the GC Beach Culture is much more party oriented; South Padre, Hangout Fest in Gulf Shores, Spring Break Panama City, Black Beach in Biloxi, etc.

Old 09-11-2017, 06:56 AM

101 posts, read 54,058 times
The gulf coast is superior to the other coasts, and yes it is a coast.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:27 PM

29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
It's a very real thing, you probably don't notice it because you are from there.

I've known many people from the coasts, from college, transplants, and my own visiting.

Many times when I've met someone from Boston or NYC they confuse Idaho where I grew up with Ohio, Indiana or Iowa. When I point out they are different places I usually get poo pooed. "Yeah whats the difference, anyway." or "Yeah it's all flyover country." or some version of that. The fact that these areas are over a thousand miles apart or different regions of "flyover" country seems to be totally lost on them.

Its incredible how multicultural and international a place like NYC can be and yet most of them don't know a thing about most of their own country. One of my friend's cousins visiting from Manhattan gave me a hard time for not have eaten Ethiopian food before, yet merely moments before he though Idaho was flat and in the Midwest.

That encounter is pretty typical.

The fact that this discussion is even happening is a symptom of coastal elitism. Of course the gulf coast is a real coast, what a stupid discussion.
There may be some 'elitism' associated with that, but overall, Americans aren't very geographically astute, especially about regions outside of their own. Ask folks from Idaho about the Northeast and I'm sure you'll have more than a few people who express some inaccurate sentiments.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:34 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
The Gulf Coast has land meeting water. Weird concept for the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or