Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 03:38 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

There is so much talk of the East and West Coast, and also the "coastal elite" or "which coast do you like better" and it sounds like many people either overlook the Gulf Coast or don't consider it to be a real coast. I wonder why this is, given that the Gulf of Mexico is an arm of the Atlantic and the coast plays a major role in our culture and economy whether its Louisiana's world famous seafood (crabs, oysters are excellent even if crawfish and catfish are freshwater), offshore oil drilling, major ports like New Orleans, Mobile, Houston, Galveston, and even the hurricane risks. We also have very popular beaches like Biloxi, Galveston, South Padre, etc and a big beach culture.

Some people even refer to the Great Lakes as the "third coast". I've read an article where a journalist is in South Louisiana and writing about how there is a disconnect between people in Cajun country and voters "on the coasts" and they obviously don't mean the voters in Grand Isle, Biloxi, or Beaumont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 03:46 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Having lived on the East coast and now in Texas, the Gulf of Mexico is indeed a coast - just a little different than the major oceans. It has sand, surf, dunes, vacation homes and all the other aspects of a coastal location.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:48 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
I never once in my life heard of this "coastal elite" bull before joining this forum. But it's mentioned here all the time. I've lived on the coast all my life and AFAIK normal people here on the coast don't think like that.

Last edited by JMT; 09-09-2017 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-09-2017, 04:06 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Well yeah, the Gulf of Mexico is like the Caribbean Sea, it is an arm of the Atlantic Ocean. It's apart of the ocean, I don't really see how on Earth this is even a real question.

Maybe people need to consult a map. Or perhaps go back to school and learn these things. (Not meant to be directed at you Tom Lennox 70) It is like asking if the Appalachian Mountains are real mountains when you compare it to the Rockies, Andes, and Alps. Yes, yes it is. Or like asking if the Mediterranean Sea is a real ocean and/or coast. Yes, yes it is.

Old 09-09-2017, 05:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I never once in my life heard of this "coastal elite" bull before joining this forum. But it's mentioned here all the time. I've lived on the coast all my life and AFAIK normal people here on the coast don't think like that.
You know what the reference is??? How those of the elite East Coast New Yorkers thru wealthy areas to Boston too. Especially Manhattan and Hampton's for examples ..... saw ALL between NYC and LA as flyover. Same for all between NYC and Coastal Florida
Using the -coastal term - denoted west, northeast and Florida. The Jet-Set of that era. Today even Bi-Coastal used .... though today a term -coastal elites- is used less derogatorily toward other regions. Much of the Midwest, Appalachia of course is still flyover .... Chicago I'd say excluded from flyover largely today and the rise of sunbelt cities but for the deep south less flyover. It was very much a fact back in a day ....

Think the blue-blood elite that were on the Titanic 1st class LOL. Your bloodline to the Mayflower. Overall a more outdated term.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
Having lived on the East coast and now in Texas, the Gulf of Mexico is indeed a coast - just a little different than the major oceans. It has sand, surf, dunes, vacation homes and all the other aspects of a coastal location.
Of course the Gulf coast is a real coast that is entirely open into the Full Atlantic ocean. The gulf gets hurricanes that come in from the Atlantic. It is the same....

Same can be said of the shores of the Great Lakes (though no one claims they are the ocean). They still have sandy beaches, surf rolling ashore, Sand Dunes (especially Northwest Indiana with the Sand Dunes National Lakeshore and Indiana Dunes State Park) and resort communities. Parts of the Great Lakes coastline are great Cliffs especially along Lake Superior and plenty of beaches along its shores.

Anyone flying above the these Lakes would clearly see them looking as a ocean. Many a flights to Chicago fly up the Chicago coastline before turning inland to land at O'Hare ....you get views that are no little lake of water LOL. Though the city had to recreate a new shoreline man did not originally protect. You see no other side to its eastern shores even 100-stories up in a skyscraper.

Last edited by DavePa; 05-01-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-09-2017, 06:03 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times
Only someone trolling to get a reaction out of others would not consider it to be a big deal. There's absolutely no reason to not consider it a major coast, and outside Wikipedia I've never even heard anyone refer to it as the "Third Coast."

Old 09-09-2017, 07:02 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
No. East coasters look down upon the flyover country.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:20 PM

603 posts, read 931,418 times
I consider it a coast. I didn't know anyone didn't. Here in Texas, I've seen the term "third coast" in the names of businesses. Before this thread, I didn't know anyone thought of the Great Lakes as the third coast. I guess it's a regional thing.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:20 PM

828 posts, read 692,035 times
Saying that the Gulf Coast isn't a real coast is like saying that Australia has no north or south coast because it is all just in the Pacific. So, a country surrounded by water only has an east and west coast? The US has ocean on three sides. Of course the Gulf Coast is a real coast...

Old 09-09-2017, 08:50 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
If the Gulf coast isn't a coast, then WTH is it? A lakeshore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.