Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:33 PM

647 posts, read 1,522,432 times

Advertisements

It seems like most of the cheap American cities are ultra conservative but correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by JMT; 03-06-2018 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: removed rude comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 08:35 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,166 times
Maybe Austin?
But OTOH you are still in Texas though

Old 03-05-2018, 09:26 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
Buffalo, NY?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:37 PM

532 posts, read 445,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
It seems like most of the cheap American cities are ultra conservative but correct me if I'm wrong.
I have moved 14 times with the military. I'm currently retired
I'll probably continue to live in areas with a low tax burden.

I'm an Athiest
I'm politically unaffiliated, I guess I'm a moderate.

So with the military moves I'm usually in fairly conservative towns and cities though some times not.

Most of my neighbors and friends, every where I have lived and worked, do not aggressively try and push their views and are usually open to getting along.

Last edited by JMT; 03-06-2018 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 02:29 AM

647 posts, read 1,522,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Maybe Austin?
Ugh, I should've said no Austin. I've lived in Austin for five years and would like to live somewhere different.

Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Ugh, I should've said no Austin. I've lived in Austin for five years and would like to live somewhere different.
Without benefit of knowing what you would consider "cheap" I would throw out options like Baltimore, Durham, St Louis, Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Durham might seem an odd option but it's a city of around 275K that's historically deep blue, very progressive and more/less agnostic from my experience of living there.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:26 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,693 times
When I think of "Cheap" I always think comparatively. Austin to use that example is not what I consider "cheap" at all. Austin is less expensive than SOME of the major coastal cities, (even then, Philly and Baltimore are possibly cheaper.

In the State of Texas Austin is the 4th largest metro and is either the 1st or 2nd most expensive city to live in (trading off with Dallas which has a metro almost 4 times the size, major sports etc.)

In Texas the "cheap" city would be San Antonio.

San Jose aside, Austin is the most expensive city in its 2 million metro class. Comparable cities would be: Vegas, Cincinnati, KC, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Nashville and on the Smaller end (about half a million less) Milwaukee. ATX is more expensive than all of these cities. Housing is double the cost than some of them.

No knock on ATX, it is a great city, and there are plenty of reasons many people like it there, but it isn't cheap at all, not anymore.

Just because Austin has a low tax rate doesn't make it "Cheap" comparatively.

Chicago or Philly might work for you. Both are comparatively cheap for what they are and pretty liberal as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:00 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
What's the benefit or pressing reason for looking for an "extremely liberal/atheist" location? Can you only tolerate one type of person? Are other's differences and beliefs (in a diverse country like America) that huge of an issue? Weird.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
What's the benefit or pressing reason for looking for an "extremely liberal/atheist" location? Can you only tolerate one type of person? Are other's differences and beliefs (in a diverse country like America) that huge of an issue? Weird.
As a liberal atheist living in an ultra-right wing fundamentalist town where my head is constantly beat over the head with a Bible, I can fully understand wanting to live in a place that is progressive and open minded. The good thing is, most cities fit the bill. Just stay away from Oklahoma City.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:21 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
New Orleans is fairly liberal in a sense of easy going, it's cheap although still fairly religious. The suburbs are a different picture.

Chicago is pretty cheap for a big city, quite liberal and not very religious. Even the suburbs are fairly blue in that sense as opposed to more conservative suburbs you find in other areas. Tax loads are getting high like you'd see in places like NYC or LA, but the cost of living for housing and other items can still be had for quite cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.