U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times

Advertisements

In Boston the North End is SW of East Boston. Also the North/South End is oriented NE/SW at about a 45 degree angle along the Charles vs actually N/S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 AM

3,500 posts, read 4,957,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
In Boston the North End is SW of East Boston. Also the North/South End is oriented NE/SW at about a 45 degree angle along the Charles vs actually N/S
Also, the name "South Boston" or "Southie" doesn't mean the entire south part of Boston.
Instead, it refers to just one small area that's southeast of downtown, and traditionally ethnic Irish.

Just like, "West End" of London England, is actually the very heart of downtown, and not at all where the city ends. The same way with "West End" of Washington D.C. which is downtown. "South Baltimore" is just one small area of Baltimore, and not the entire south side.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:41 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robecito View Post
I'd imagine towns like New York or Boston have the same ideosyncracies.
Kind of.
Manhattan starting North of Houston streets develops its number system where going from South to North every street runs horizontally and goes up one number each block. The avenues run Vertically and go up in number from East to West, making it really easy to get around. This continues into the Bronx, but the true grid layout doesn't really start until around ~14th street, which causes some confusion. I think it would make more sense for the number system to start when the grid starts.
For example, look at the West Village
West Village/Greenwich New York Map | Area Maps of New York City
This is after the number system starts but before the grid, so a lot of the numbers don't even make sense or go in order exactly. Like where W. 4th street intersects with W. 12th street.

South of Houston in Manhattan is just whatever. Random names with no numbers or patterns with differing layouts too depending on neighborhood. Sometimes gridlike, sometimes not. Brooklyn and Queens are a little more difficult. South Brooklyn has its own independent numbering system separate from Manhattan and is kind of gridlike but not exactly and starts diagonally but then turns horizontal and also makes a transition along the way from numbers to letters. Northern Brooklyn does not follow this and instead just has random street names.

Queens has the most complicated numbering system that doesn't seem to make any sense. I'm from Queens and I have to admit it is probably the most difficult street system to navigate in NYC. I'm not even going to try to explain it. I'll just say that Queens used to exist as a county on Long Island of separate independent small cities and when it became part of NYC there was an attempt to combine all these separate cities+towns street layouts into one, but it ended up pretty messy. That was inevitable though.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,938,622 times
Phoenix is laughably easy to navigate using geographic features and streets. West of Central Ave are the Avenues, East are the Streets, and everything is a grid. The south end of PHX is bordered by South Mountain, the north at North Mountain. Camelback Mountain is prominent and a regional landmark, located in Paradise Valley. If you get lost in Phoenix, you're an idiot.

The best big city layout in the USA? I think so.
https://res.cloudinary.com/simplevie...8774dcd166.jpg

Old 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
In DC, they use quandrants of the city NW, NE, SW, SE and streets are labeled with their respective quadrants i.e. 5th St NE vs. 5th St NW are two different areas.

In SF, they use the Bay as a directional term alot with North Bay, East Bay & South Bay along with The Peninsula.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 PM

86,995 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robecito View Post
Some towns are laid out in a grid; but others follow a local river or mountain ridge.

For example, Palmdale, California was established by a bunch of aerospace engineers, so the north-south streets are numbered, and the east-west avenues are lettered. Same for parts of Denver.

On the other hand, New Orleans lies inside a curve of the Mississippi River, and streets curve to follow the river. But the cross streets all fan out to stay perpendicular to the curve, so streets parallel to the river run upstream-downstream (or, uptown-downtown), and the cross streets run from the river toward Lake Pontchartrain (riverside-lakeside). North-south-east-west directions are meaningless for a uptown-downtown road that points northeast-southwest at one end and northwest-southeast at the other, or for the cross-streets that are perpendicular.

I'd imagine towns like New York or Boston have the same ideosyncracies.

I'd like to hear what YOUR town uses for directions.

Thanks and have fun with your answers!

Robecito
Actually, in Denver the east-west avenues north of Ellsworth are numbered (with some small streets in between in some places), and the north-south streets are named, in some places alphabetically from east to west from Broadway west and from west to east from Broadway east. There is also a diagonal grid downtown with some numbered streets.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_system_of_Denver

Old 09-19-2017, 08:03 PM

8,572 posts, read 12,669,405 times
In Salt Lake City, Temple Square (where the Mormon Temple is) is the delineation point for all the street addresses in the city. For example, the address of the Salt Lake City main library is 210 E, 400 S. That means the library is 4 blocks south and 2 blocks east of Temple Square.

I've only been there once, so I hope I got that right.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:48 PM

596 posts, read 676,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
In Salt Lake City, Temple Square (where the Mormon Temple is) is the delineation point for all the street addresses in the city. For example, the address of the Salt Lake City main library is 210 E, 400 S. That means the library is 4 blocks south and 2 blocks east of Temple Square.

I've only been there once, so I hope I got that right.
You got it right!

More specifically, it is the southeast corner of Temple Square from which all the streets are numbered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or