U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2017, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,943,779 times
Reputation: 7917

Advertisements

Phoenix burbs are ginormous. A lot of our burbs are well over 200K, and the fastest growing in the nation. You cant stop us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2017, 11:18 AM
 
Location: The Springs
1,770 posts, read 2,139,658 times
Reputation: 1850
Denver (over 100k):

Arvada - 117,453
Aurora - 361,710
Centennial - 109,932
Lakewood - 154,393
Thornton - 136,703
Westminster - 113,875
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM
 
7,707 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Reputation: 8423
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The place that would win this hands down is either a Chinese metropolitan area or Tokyo metro area, the average Tokyo burb is looking at 15,000-25,000 ppsm and most larger than 8 square miles are hitting 100,000. In North America- Toronto seems to have the most IMO. Maybe Mexican city has a bit more or less do to the high density of suburbs.

While you can argue it's just random munincipal borders, each suburb is built with this borders in mind and most suburban areas IMO would look radically different if each metro switched their border rules. Hampton Roads being the best example I can give of a place that was completely aided by its borders.
If we count straight up munincipal borders, Houston has:
Pasadena-150,000
The Woodlands- 110,000
Pearland- 110,000
League City- 100,000

Dallas-Fort Worth has
Arlington- 390,000
Plano-280,000
Irving-240,000
Garland-240,000
Grand Prairie-190,000
McKinney-160,000
Frisco-150,000
Mesquite-140,000
Carrollton-130,000
Denton-130,000
Richardson-110,000
Lewisville-100,000
Allen-100,000

If Houston was like Dallas and allowed its suburbs to annex and develop land.
Katy-300,000
Cypress-200,000-400,000
Sugar Land-150,000
Missouri City- 100,000+
Pearland- 110,000+
Spring- 100,000+
Klein- 100,000 (maybe)
League City-100,000
Pasadena-150,000
Richmond- 100,000+

There are four cities with populations over 1 million that are served by Seoul's subway system (not counting Seoul itself). Of course no one in their right mind would consider those cities suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 12:12 PM
 
212 posts, read 172,724 times
Reputation: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
Kansas City, Missouri has 4 suburbs over 100,000 in population:

Overland Park, Kansas 188,966
Kansas City, Kansas 151,709
Olathe, Kansas 135,473
Independence, Missouri 117,030

Lee's Summit, MO is also closing in rather quickly with a 2016 est pop of over 96,000. Likely right at 100,000 by 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
712 posts, read 398,390 times
Reputation: 1207
Buffalo has one lone suburb over 100,000: Amherst. It is about 125,000 and it fast growing for the area. The eastern part is the most affluent area of Western New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM
 
1,193 posts, read 877,171 times
Reputation: 1867
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The place that would win this hands down is either a Chinese metropolitan area or Tokyo metro area, the average Tokyo burb is looking at 15,000-25,000 ppsm and most larger than 8 square miles are hitting 100,000. In North America- Toronto seems to have the most IMO. Maybe Mexican city has a bit more or less do to the high density of suburbs.

While you can argue it's just random munincipal borders, each suburb is built with this borders in mind and most suburban areas IMO would look radically different if each metro switched their border rules. Hampton Roads being the best example I can give of a place that was completely aided by its borders.
If we count straight up munincipal borders, Houston has:
Pasadena-150,000
The Woodlands- 110,000
Pearland- 110,000
League City- 100,000

Dallas-Fort Worth has
Arlington- 390,000
Plano-280,000
Irving-240,000
Garland-240,000
Grand Prairie-190,000
McKinney-160,000
Frisco-150,000
Mesquite-140,000
Carrollton-130,000
Denton-130,000
Richardson-110,000
Lewisville-100,000
Allen-100,000

If Houston was like Dallas and allowed its suburbs to annex and develop land.
Katy-300,000
Cypress-200,000-400,000
Sugar Land-150,000
Missouri City- 100,000+
Pearland- 110,000+
Spring- 100,000+
Klein- 100,000 (maybe)
League City-100,000
Pasadena-150,000
Richmond- 100,000+
Did the Woodlands incorporate? I thought it was still wasn't a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,108,669 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Did the Woodlands incorporate? I thought it was still wasn't a city.
It hasn't incorporated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2017, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,108,669 times
Reputation: 1908
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
The place that would win this hands down is either a Chinese metropolitan area or Tokyo metro area, the average Tokyo burb is looking at 15,000-25,000 ppsm and most larger than 8 square miles are hitting 100,000. In North America- Toronto seems to have the most IMO. Maybe Mexican city has a bit more or less do to the high density of suburbs.

While you can argue it's just random munincipal borders, each suburb is built with this borders in mind and most suburban areas IMO would look radically different if each metro switched their border rules. Hampton Roads being the best example I can give of a place that was completely aided by its borders.
If we count straight up munincipal borders, Houston has:
Pasadena-150,000
The Woodlands- 110,000
Pearland- 110,000
League City- 100,000

Dallas-Fort Worth has
Arlington- 390,000
Plano-280,000
Irving-240,000
Garland-240,000
Grand Prairie-190,000
McKinney-160,000
Frisco-150,000
Mesquite-140,000
Carrollton-130,000
Denton-130,000
Richardson-110,000
Lewisville-100,000
Allen-100,000

If Houston was like Dallas and allowed its suburbs to annex and develop land.
Katy-300,000
Cypress-200,000-400,000
Sugar Land-150,000
Missouri City- 100,000+
Pearland- 110,000+
Spring- 100,000+
Klein- 100,000 (maybe)
League City-100,000
Pasadena-150,000
Richmond- 100,000+
Why use 'IMO' when you could you have just looked it up instead of guessing? Toronto has nowhere near as many suburbs as Los Angeles.

Toronto has 18 suburbs over 100,000
  1. Ajax 119,677
  2. Barrie 141,434
  3. Brampton 593,638
  4. Burlington 183,314
  5. Cambridge 129,920
  6. Guelph 131,794
  7. Hamilton 536,917
  8. Kitchener 233,222
  9. Markham 328,966
  10. Milton 110,128
  11. Mississauga 721,599
  12. Oakville 193,832
  13. Oshawa 159,458
  14. Richmond Hill 195,022
  15. Saint Catherines 133,113
  16. Vaughan 306,233
  17. Waterloo 104,986
  18. Whitby 128,377

Los Angeles has 39(!) suburbs over 100,000
  1. Anaheim 351,043
  2. Burbank 104,447
  3. Corona 166,785
  4. Costa Mesa 112,822
  5. Downey 113,267
  6. East Los Angeles 129,500
  7. El Monte 115,807
  8. Fontana 209,665
  9. Fullerton 140,721
  10. Garden Grove 174,858
  11. Glendale 200,831
  12. Huntington Beach 200,652
  13. Inglewood 110,654
  14. Irvine 266,122
  15. Jurupa Valley 103,541
  16. Lancaster 160,106
  17. Long Beach 470,130
  18. Moreno Valley 205,499
  19. Murrieta 111,674
  20. Norwalk 106,178
  21. Ontario 173,212
  22. Orange 140,504
  23. Oxnard 207,906
  24. Palmdale 157,356
  25. Pasadena 142,059
  26. Pomona 152,494
  27. Rancho Cucamonga 176,534
  28. Rialto 103,314
  29. Riverside 324,722
  30. San Bernardino 216,239
  31. Santa Ana 334,217
  32. Santa Clarita 181,972
  33. Simi Valley 126,327
  34. Temecula 113,054
  35. Thousand Oaks 128,888
  36. Torrance 147,195
  37. Ventura 109,592
  38. Victorville 122,265
  39. West Covina 107,847
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,502 posts, read 1,702,385 times
Reputation: 2212
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Why use 'IMO' when you could you have just looked it up instead of guessing? Toronto has nowhere near as many suburbs as Los Angeles.

Toronto has 18 suburbs over 100,000
  1. Ajax 119,677
  2. Barrie 141,434
  3. Brampton 593,638
  4. Burlington 183,314
  5. Cambridge 129,920
  6. Guelph 131,794
  7. Hamilton 536,917
  8. Kitchener 233,222
  9. Markham 328,966
  10. Milton 110,128
  11. Mississauga 721,599
  12. Oakville 193,832
  13. Oshawa 159,458
  14. Richmond Hill 195,022
  15. Saint Catherines 133,113
  16. Vaughan 306,233
  17. Waterloo 104,986
  18. Whitby 128,377

Los Angeles has 39(!) suburbs over 100,000
  1. Anaheim 351,043
  2. Burbank 104,447
  3. Corona 166,785
  4. Costa Mesa 112,822
  5. Downey 113,267
  6. East Los Angeles 129,500
  7. El Monte 115,807
  8. Fontana 209,665
  9. Fullerton 140,721
  10. Garden Grove 174,858
  11. Glendale 200,831
  12. Huntington Beach 200,652
  13. Inglewood 110,654
  14. Irvine 266,122
  15. Jurupa Valley 103,541
  16. Lancaster 160,106
  17. Long Beach 470,130
  18. Moreno Valley 205,499
  19. Murrieta 111,674
  20. Norwalk 106,178
  21. Ontario 173,212
  22. Orange 140,504
  23. Oxnard 207,906
  24. Palmdale 157,356
  25. Pasadena 142,059
  26. Pomona 152,494
  27. Rancho Cucamonga 176,534
  28. Rialto 103,314
  29. Riverside 324,722
  30. San Bernardino 216,239
  31. Santa Ana 334,217
  32. Santa Clarita 181,972
  33. Simi Valley 126,327
  34. Temecula 113,054
  35. Thousand Oaks 128,888
  36. Torrance 147,195
  37. Ventura 109,592
  38. Victorville 122,265
  39. West Covina 107,847
I said IMO because one it depends on what you use to measure the metro of Toronto for example Golden Horseshoe vs. CMA. The op also said not including LA, and it is pretty obvious LA has the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Katy,Texas
3,502 posts, read 1,702,385 times
Reputation: 2212
Mexico City has a lot too, might be the second most in North America (After LA).

1. Ecatepec- 1,700,000
2. Cuidad Nezahualcoyotl- 1,100,000
3. Naucalpan- 800,000
4. Tlalnepantla- 660,000
5. Chimalhuacán- 610,000
6. Ciudad López Mateos- 490,000
7. Cuautitlán Izcalli- 480,000
8. Valle de Chalco- 360,000
9. Ixtapaluca- 320,000
10. Nicolás Romero- 280,000
11. Coacalco- 280,000
12. Ojo de Agua- 240,000
13. Buenavista- 210,000
14. San Pablo de las Salinas- 190,000
15. Chicoloapan- 170,000
16. Chalco de Díaz Covarrubias- 170,000
17. Naucalpan- 120,000
18. Cuautitlán- 110,000
19. Texcoco- 110,000
20. Tepexpan- 100,000
21. Tizayuca- 100,000
Other cities that they missed but recently crossed 100,000 and by 2020 might have a town that joins the list.
22. Zumpango- 160,000
23. Acolman- 140,000
24. Huehuetoca 130,000 (spread over multiple towns)
25. Milpa Alta- 140,000 (spread over multiple towns)
26. Tepoztlan- 100,000 (spread over multiple towns)
27. Tultepec- 150,000 (spread over multiple towns)
28. La Paz- 250,000 (spread over multiple towns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top