U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If it were economically feasible, would you support Universal Basic Income in the US?
Yes 27 43.55%
No 35 56.45%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 09:03 PM

8,277 posts, read 6,298,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I do not think most homeless people are mentally ill or addicts, a high percentage of them are children, many of them even have jobs.
With that being said, I said "in theory."
sure many with kids and laid off people end up homeless, but it's a small number compared to the two groups I cited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 09:04 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
sure many with kids and laid off people end up homeless, but it's a small number compared to the two groups I cited
You have numbers?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
You have numbers?
The commonly accepted figure is 65% of homeless are drug /alcohol abusers, but homeless advocates aren't comfortable with that so they go around telling people the number is half (30%)

At the least, 50% of homeless have mental disability and/or substance abuse problems. Many are also victims of domestic abuse including battered women and child runaways.

All this to say a UBI would not solve the homeless situation for most people and could actually make it worse for those looking to get drunk/high

Old 09-12-2017, 09:14 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,782,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The commonly accepted figure is 65% of homeless are drug /alcohol abusers, but homeless advocates aren't comfortable with that so they go around telling people the number is half (30%)

At the least, 50% of homeless have mental disability and/or substance abuse problems. Many are also victims of domestic abuse including battered women and child runaways.

All this to say a UBI would not solve the homeless situation for most people and could actually make it worse for those looking to get drunk/high
Can I make up numbers too?

Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Can I make up numbers too?
by all means dig up the stats, or don't believe me I don't care. Not worth my while to go on this tangent

Old 09-12-2017, 09:19 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times
I'm really low income, and take advantage of many government benefits for low-income seniors. $1,000 per month - if it was all I received in place of the subsidies I now receive - would be nothing.

For instance, I receive SSI of $895/month. I have a Section 8 voucher, and my rent is 32% of my income. My Medi-Cal (California version of Medicaid) is free, though not perfect. If you receive SSI in CA, you do not receive food stamps. My $895/month includes a state subsidy in cash, as opposed to a separate food stamp payment.

So, if tomorrow I was told that all I'd receive from now on is $1,000/month and I'd have to pay out of pocket for rent and healthcare, I'd have to move far away into the boonies, and forget about healthcare.

And if hospitals still had to take uninsured people in emergency rooms, we'd just re-create the problem with emergency rooms being used for health care.

I guess, as long as I still had the right to buy a gun so I could end it all when I got too sick, I could live with the above LOL.

But, there are so many business interests who profit from those of us who receive subsidies, I think there'd be a pretty hefty fight against this. Just the LIHTC (low income housing tax credit) property developers alone in CA would be a huge lobbying force. They get tax credits to build low-income properties, then they are able to collect market rents, which are paid in part by tenants and the rest by city/county/state and federal funds.

Then, if a ton of people like me end up homeless who aren't as resourceful as me, or are too sick to go find new affordable housing far away, you'll have cities/counties and states with a huge homeless population they'll need funding to deal with. Just on and on.

This is just not a yes or no answer to your poll.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,225,857 times
I don't think this would be a good idea at the moment. However in the near future when automation and robotics decimate the labor force, and unemployment rates rocketing through the roof, then universal wages will be needed, but until then I don't think it's a good idea.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:33 PM

886 posts, read 607,304 times
Sure, as long as I get about a 70% raise at my current job (which I bust my ass at).

Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 AM

4,447 posts, read 2,621,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I don't think this would be a good idea at the moment. However in the near future when automation and robotics decimate the labor force, and unemployment rates rocketing through the roof, then universal wages will be needed, but until then I don't think it's a good idea.
Yeah, I've never gotten HOW they expect people to buy things manufactured by robotics IF they don't have jobs for income?

Even UBI of $12k won't buy a lot.
Not unless cars are $3k for a new one.

*scratches head

Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,130 times
One of the reason we do food stamps and section 8 housing is because people don't know how to manage money, or they will blow the income on alcohol and/or drugs.

I have mixed feelings on a basic income. I like the idea of simplifying welfare to a basic income, but I'm not sure how well it will go from theory into practice. If we had a responsible culture, sure, but we don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.