U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 PM

7,753 posts, read 6,169,947 times

Advertisements

Baltimore is close enough to the beach and close the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 AM

13,424 posts, read 17,002,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Remove Savannah, the other three are a go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Savannah is an awesome place. History, character, charm, it's all there. A ton to do as well

TO THE OP: Savannah has MANY people just like you. It's overflowing with restless folks who don't know what to do with their lives and just want to chill out for awhile. Very walkable. Tons of great bars and restaurants. History on every block. A festival every weekend. Great arts and music scene. Plenty of recreation activities and nature areas to explore.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 AM

21,228 posts, read 30,461,228 times
Asheville in my opinion would be a great choice for it's bike culture and big city amenities (amazing food/restaurant scene) along with it's vast outdoor recreation options plus scenery. There's often a blanket statement involved describing it as "granola" which is a bit irksome because while liberal has a much more diverse population than the granola-esque, tattooed, facial-pierced hipster types with dirty dreads the intended stereotype depicts. If you can go with a smaller yet still liberal town with a great little downtown area and arguably even more of a bike-culture, I would very highly suggest Brevard which is about 35 minutes SW of Asheville. It's visually stunning in/around this little college town and renowned for it's biking and outdoor recreation.

https://www.visitwaterfalls.com/port...o-in-cycles-2/
Welcome to Heart of Brevard in Brevard, North Carolina

Old 09-13-2017, 09:23 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,401,230 times
Wiliminton, NC

Old 09-13-2017, 09:38 AM

2,149 posts, read 779,929 times
Greenville, SC Manufacturing headquarters of the south. Fastest growing metro in the US outside of Florida. Cleanest downtown I've ever seen. Affordable. Low taxes. Nice people. Foothills of the mountains. Lots of biking and hiking trails in the area.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:08 AM

7,280 posts, read 13,544,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post

Do you really think Asheville is better than Knoxville for mountain biking?
Never spent much time in Knoxville, but Asheville is pretty great. Pisgah National Forest is a draw for mountain bikers all over, and there's a mix of logging roads, singletrack, and other types of trails. https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...tional-forest/

Plus there are other non-Pisgah options. Lots of choices.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:27 PM

7,598 posts, read 4,033,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Greenville, SC Manufacturing headquarters of the south. Fastest growing metro in the US outside of Florida. Cleanest downtown I've ever seen. Affordable. Low taxes. Nice people. Foothills of the mountains. Lots of biking and hiking trails in the area.
Clemson University about 45 minutes to the west of Greenville has some great biking trails in its 14,500 acre experimental forest.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:23 PM

721 posts, read 302,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplussouth View Post
I hate my job. I'm thinking of quitting and moving while I study to get myself on a new career path. Financially, I can easily afford this, but of course it will be a bit of a set back. I'm planning a break of about 6 months.

I'd like to stay in the southeast since that's where my family is and it's a pretty affordable region. I'm not exactly sure what I will do on this break since my work life over the last 5 years has led to me losing interest in everything. I will definitely want to get outdoors and do things like hike and ride my bike, though. I would like a walkable downtown, good cafes to hang out at, hiking and cycling trails.

I haven't been to any of these cities, but based on reputation I came up with a few ideas:

- Charleston, SC - (good live music and downtown I hear, not so keen on the beach and humidity though)
- Savannah, GA
- Nashville, TN
- Asheville, NC (really like the mountain location)

Appreciate any advice on this.
Charleston and Savannah are both great.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,079,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplussouth View Post
I hate my job. I'm thinking of quitting and moving while I study to get myself on a new career path. Financially, I can easily afford this, but of course it will be a bit of a set back. I'm planning a break of about 6 months.

I'd like to stay in the southeast since that's where my family is and it's a pretty affordable region. I'm not exactly sure what I will do on this break since my work life over the last 5 years has led to me losing interest in everything. I will definitely want to get outdoors and do things like hike and ride my bike, though. I would like a walkable downtown, good cafes to hang out at, hiking and cycling trails.

I haven't been to any of these cities, but based on reputation I came up with a few ideas:

- Charleston, SC - (good live music and downtown I hear, not so keen on the beach and humidity though)
- Savannah, GA
- Nashville, TN
- Asheville, NC (really like the mountain location)

Appreciate any advice on this.
Obviously you need to check out all of the places that you've listed, so you might as well take a big road trip first. But if you're sick of heat and humidity, cross Savannah and Charleston off the list. You might as well add Knoxville and Chattanooga to the road trip, but I think you know deep down that Asheville/NC Mountains is the front runner. Go for it.

Old 09-15-2017, 05:58 AM

27,092 posts, read 5,961,902 times
Both Charleston and Savannah are fun, historical, with good beaches and local colleges, so students near your age are there.

BUT, the humidity can make you feel faint if you aren't used to it. Or nauseated...no going out between 10am and 4pm for me! Heat index can be 105F days in a row.

*I lived in Charleston 3 yrs*, loved all it had to offer, but recently moved back to the NC mts. The heat was on my list of reasons...as well as crime, constant tourists, heavy traffic, cost of living....prop taxes were double what they are here in NC. etc.

You just can't beat the NC mts. Asheville is fun, fun, fun for all ages...trails galore for hiking, biking and some areas quite cool for summer....where I am has not been over 78F this yr.

It is popular, so visitors from everywhere all yr round.

Come visit and see for yourself

QUOTE=Greg10556;49501056]Savannah is an awesome place. History, character, charm, it's all there. A ton to do as well[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or