U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:03 AM

44 posts, read 25,790 times

Advertisements

Opinion abound...which is a good thing I suppose,

In terms of "reality" let me agree, disagree, and I guess be neutral as well

Another poster suggested Baltimore? wow. If you like crime and bad weather it's great

Asheville? very nice and also becoming snobbishly expensive with a steady flow of failures migrating from FL.

Charleston? fine smaller city, but the first question you'll get, is "how long has your family been in Charleston?" if you can't trace your roots back in the city for at least 200 yrs. the locals don't care about you. To a degree, the same sentiment exists in Savannah as well.

Northwest ARKANSAS? aka "NWA" ?? If you like the feel of WallyWorld, you'll love the company town(s) around Bentonville and Fayetteville area.

Nashville? probably the most happening city now in the entire SE. It might be growing a bit too fast though...but overall a very good option.

You might look at a pretty intelligent north Alabama city, Huntsville-Madison.

I agree with taking a close look at Greenville SC. Lots to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 AM

29,935 posts, read 27,365,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan meyer View Post
Charleston? fine smaller city, but the first question you'll get, is "how long has your family been in Charleston?" if you can't trace your roots back in the city for at least 200 yrs. the locals don't care about you. To a degree, the same sentiment exists in Savannah as well.
That's only if you think it's still 1936 or something. Charleston is literally among the fastest-growing metro areas in the nation and it's not because the city is stuck in a time warp. Your sentiment is so woefully outdated until it's hilarious. Same for Savannah.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM

44 posts, read 25,790 times
it seems you like to start arguments. My opinion about Charleston is based on my own experience of having family there for decades. If you think differently, that's great too. You clearly know everything.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan meyer View Post
it seems you like to start arguments. My opinion about Charleston is based on my own experience of having family there for decades. If you think differently, that's great too. You clearly know everything.
Just because I've disagreed with you in two recent threads doesn't mean "I like to start arguments" or that I "clearly know everything." I'm a Black native South Carolinian with roots in the Low Country and I've been to Charleston more times than I can count, so I've got some basis for my opinion here. I seriously doubt the swell of newcomers invading Charleston within the last decade have constantly been goaded with questions about their local familial roots. That's the hallmark of insular post-industrial cities, not a booming, touristy city.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,759,815 times
The crazy think is that out of all those cities, they recommended Greenville.

Old 09-15-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The crazy think is that out of all those cities, they recommended Greenville.
Why do you say that? Greenville meets the criteria as laid out by the OP, even more so than the likes of Charleston and Savannah. Not much hiking available in those cities.

Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM

15 posts, read 12,035 times
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

If anyone is interested in an update, I'm still undecided and have yet to take a trip to visit these cities, but your comments have been so helpful. I do realize I would hate humidity so Charleston and Savannah are out. Also, Greenville is getting a lot of love so I will have to add that to the list as well as Knoxville and Chatanooga.

I've decided I will focus on starting an online business during the break so that means a lot of time working at coffee shops and hopefully networking with other people doing the same thing. Gotta keep the mental energy up!

Also, to clear some things up: I'm into road biking not mountain, but I don't race, it's just casual for fun.

So here's my updated list:

Asheville, NC
Greenville, SC
Chatanooga, TN
Knoxville, TN
Nashville, TN

Old 11-21-2017, 05:09 PM

3,599 posts, read 1,527,009 times
Charleston, Nashville, Asheville and I'd throw in Fayetteville, AR. An underrated pretty, outdoorsy area.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 AM

721 posts, read 299,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northplussouth View Post
I hate my job. I'm thinking of quitting and moving while I study to get myself on a new career path. Financially, I can easily afford this, but of course it will be a bit of a set back. I'm planning a break of about 6 months.

I'd like to stay in the southeast since that's where my family is and it's a pretty affordable region. I'm not exactly sure what I will do on this break since my work life over the last 5 years has led to me losing interest in everything. I will definitely want to get outdoors and do things like hike and ride my bike, though. I would like a walkable downtown, good cafes to hang out at, hiking and cycling trails.

I haven't been to any of these cities, but based on reputation I came up with a few ideas:

- Charleston, SC - (good live music and downtown I hear, not so keen on the beach and humidity though)
- Savannah, GA
- Nashville, TN
- Asheville, NC (really like the mountain location)

Appreciate any advice on this.
Charleston and Savannah are both good choices. I'd lean towards Charleston.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:36 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
I'd pick Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or