U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:04 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,601,876 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing you haven't spent a whole lot of time in Fayetteville. Thats ok, you're loss not mine Plus let people think that...maybe people will stop flocking in. On the other hand, i was never able to find any good neighborhoods in Little rock that weren't new, notice i said GOOD, i know there is old neighborhoods and some nice newer ones (similar to NWA) but as far as safe, nice, historic neightborhoods, LR seems to lack in that department too IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 05:24 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,086,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I'm guessing you haven't spent a whole lot of time in Fayetteville. Thats ok, you're loss not mine Plus let people think that...maybe people will stop flocking in. On the other hand, i was never able to find any good neighborhoods in Little rock that weren't new, notice i said GOOD, i know there is old neighborhoods and some nice newer ones (similar to NWA) but as far as safe, nice, historic neightborhoods, LR seems to lack in that department too IMO.
I used to live in Fort Smith and would go to NWA everytime I wanted decent dining and shopping, so I have spent some time there. I will say the downtown area of Fayetteville and the area near the college is very charming, but that is an exception for NWA rather than the rule. Everywhere from north Fayetteville above the Fulbright Expwy up to the Missouri border is cookie cutter hell.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:30 PM

I know a lot of areas that are not, of course i lived there for 18 years lol, so I probably am more familiar with it. Also a problem is that it is growing so fast. When an area grows so fast, new houses must be built and fast. By cookie cutter it seems many people mean new homes in new neighborhoods, and of course that is unavoidable in areas that grow quickly. But i could show you many areas that are awesome, You didn't even mention Mt Seqouyah on the areas that are not cookie cutter! A simply beautiful area, and if I ever move back i hope to have a house on it!!

Old 03-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
I know a lot of areas that are not, of course i lived there for 18 years lol, so I probably am more familiar with it. Also a problem is that it is growing so fast. When an area grows so fast, new houses must be built and fast. By cookie cutter it seems many people mean new homes in new neighborhoods, and of course that is unavoidable in areas that grow quickly. But i could show you many areas that are awesome, You didn't even mention Mt Seqouyah on the areas that are not cookie cutter! A simply beautiful area, and if I ever move back i hope to have a house on it!!
By cookie cutter, I mean subdivisions with McMansions and cul-de-sacs, strip malls, big box stores, chain restaurants, etc. New growth isn't always cookie cutter. Many cities are seeing downtown renaissances with new condo towers and mixed-use higher-density projects being constructed. New growth is good if its smart growth.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:43 PM

Those things are new to Fayetteville though. And are still the minority compared to the older neighborhoods in Fay. I found many of the same things in Little Rock when i have visited, and have never been impressed with its downtown Hopefully they will make some improvements, and hopefully get the crime down, it still is rediculous for a city its size. Someone needs to do something!

Old 03-15-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Those things are new to Fayetteville though. And are still the minority compared to the older neighborhoods in Fay. I found many of the same things in Little Rock when i have visited, and have never been impressed with its downtown Hopefully they will make some improvements, and hopefully get the crime down, it still is rediculous for a city its size. Someone needs to do something!
Amazing how all NWA people continually bash Little Rock. This thread isn't about Little Rock yet you bash it in all of your posts. It does have its problems, but comparing Little Rock to NWA is like comparing apples and oranges. They are different types of metro areas.

Have you spent much time in Little Rock or is your perception based entirely on that 1994 HBO documetary?

Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 PM

30,297 posts, read 67,508,590 times
I'll use my own area of Scranton (pop. 72,000), Wilkes-Barre (pop. 41,000), and Hazleton (pop. 24,000) as an example of three medium-sized cities that are strung together with varying suburban networks nearby. The problem here is that all three cities have declined considerably since their heydays, and now all three are competing AGAINST one another for new economic development. Scranton is obviously winning this hands down while Hazleton continues to wither, but Wilkes-Barre is picking up steam as of late. Urban sprawl here is horrid as well; Wilkes-Barre's two major suburban networks of the Back Mountain (pop. 30,000) and Mountain Top (pop. 20,000) are now more populous combined than the city proper. I think having a network of small cities is worse than having just one primary city because no true "core" can ever develop and thrive.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM

I belive you mentioned NWA first. You said it was a bunch of sprawl, Mcmansions, etc. If you look on the first page of this thread you will see that. That was i guess uninformed, and is untrue. So you were the first to comment, i replied, it went from there. If you think I am being unfair to LR, say that instead. I think you have the wrong impression of NWA, apparently you think i have the wrong impression of LR. I wasn't bashing I was being honest. Your response seems to speak a lot of LR. Of course, many people see LR negatively...guess i'm just one of the majority If LR was awesome, you would respond with how it was, not all this "you're bashing"etc etc. I was being honest, and if you must resort to simply saying i'm bashing, there must not be much to say about LR And for the record, this thread is not about any city in perticular. LR isn't a big city either, therefore could qualify for this topic.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
I belive you mentioned NWA first. You said it was a bunch of sprawl, Mcmansions, etc. If you look on the first page of this thread you will see that. That was i guess uninformed, and is untrue. So you were the first to comment, i replied, it went from there. If you think I am being unfair to LR, say that instead. I think you have the wrong impression of NWA, apparently you think i have the wrong impression of LR. I wasn't bashing I was being honest. Your response seems to speak a lot of LR. Of course, many people see LR negatively...guess i'm just one of the majority If LR was awesome, you would respond with how it was, not all this "you're bashing"etc etc. I was being honest, and if you must resort to simply saying i'm bashing, there must not be much to say about LR And for the record, this thread is not about any city in perticular. LR isn't a big city either, therefore could qualify for this topic.
The two metros are different because Little Rock has a dense core city and the infrastructure is in place to support the population. NWA has no core city but has 4 cities around the same size sprawled up I-540. Little Rock, like all cities has suburban sprawl problems too. There is a ton of "white flight" in the Little Rock suburbs. There is plenty I don't like about Little Rock but I will take it over NWA any day. That said, I would take a real big city like Dallas or Austin over both of them any day.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM

30,297 posts, read 67,508,590 times
You both realize that NWA gave us Wal-Mart and Little Rock gave us Mike Huckabee, right? Just checking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or