U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 03:43 PM

93 posts, read 315,999 times

Advertisements

I am planning on going to law school in fall 2009. Now I am in the process of trying to choose where. I absolutely love NYC, and would love to live there. The only thing is that the cost of living is so high, that I don't know if I would want to do that forever. I haven't been to many other cities, except Washington DC which I liked, but it's not my top choice to live. What I'm looking for is somewhere that is a large safe city, with a subway system preferably, and hopefully a little less costly than NYC. I am more interested in going northeast than anywhere else, closer to NYC if not there. Any suggestions on where to go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 03:53 PM

5,812 posts, read 15,951,471 times
Cost of living is generally best in the midwest and midsouth. The northeast and west coast will generally cost you more.

How do you define large city? What kind of weather do you want?

St. Louis has one of the top schools in the country, Washington University St. Louis, and cost of living is low, but St. Louis has a reputation of violence (although mostly in pockets in the city, the city is generally safe), and St. Louis does not have Subway, but it does have MetroLink and a bus system. Weather varies a lot from Winter to summer.

Some more details on what you want would be nice. Chicago might be doable, too, though it is more expensive than most of the rest of the midwest.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:56 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,463,209 times
Can you get a scholarship at Columbia University in NYC? Get a free dorm room, etc. Ivy League and probably has the best law school in the country.

Old 03-15-2008, 03:58 PM

93 posts, read 315,999 times
As for weather, I'm mostly looking for warm in summer, and snow in winter. Where I am not, it is all humid and very very little snow. How expensive compared to NYC is Chicago? Also, what about Boston? I've looked at a few schools in Philadelphia also, but have heard the crime rate there is bad.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:05 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,463,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laf10 View Post
As for weather, I'm mostly looking for warm in summer, and snow in winter. Where I am not, it is all humid and very very little snow. How expensive compared to NYC is Chicago? Also, what about Boston? I've looked at a few schools in Philadelphia also, but have heard the crime rate there is bad.
Boston is also extremely expensive, even more so than Chicago. But in Boston you may get a small place in a good area. There aren't too many neighborhoods in Boston that are "ghetto." If you're looking in NYC, Philly, or Chicago, cheaper places will usually be in more dangerous places... But in Boston, the cheaper place is usually smaller, in a good neighborhood, and of course less desirable than neighborhoods like Beacon Hill or Back Bay.

But even in NYC, Philly, and Chicago, you can find cheap places in good neighborhoods. The apartment will just be smaller and won't have granite countertops or a fireplace.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:21 PM

I've heard the Boston is nearly as expensive as New York and that Chicago would be less expensive, Philadelphia probably least.

Try surfing around craigslist looking at apartments, that'll probably give you an idea.

In St. Louis you can usually get a decent 1 BR less than 3 miles from Washington University for $600-$700/month or less. Although there's also St. Louis University nearby and University Missouri of St. Louis in North city (sounds scary but I wouldn't worry about it).

Just searching Philadelphia Craigslist, 1 BR apartments can range from $700-$900 a month (seems to be about middle of the road)

Most Boston apartments seemed to run between $1100-$1500/month, but go as cheap as $800/month.

Chicago's middle rates seem to be $800-$1200/month.

New York's cheapest seem to be about $1200/month for a 1BR running up to $4700/month.

You cheapest options of your list seem to be Philadelphia, then Chicago, then Boston, then New York.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:33 PM

10,183 posts, read 24,125,244 times
A good law school today may pay off in the end. I'd factor that in when selecting where I wanted to go not the COL in any particular city. And of course the better the school, the more competitive.

NY law schools are ranked very well.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:46 PM

386 posts, read 1,474,959 times
Go where you'll get your best education and where you'll find the greatest proliferation of law jobs. Boston and DC are sure bets if you're insistent on staying northeast. Atlanta is also a very good market with a great school--Emory University.

I'll also second the motion for Washington University in St. Louis. A JD from WashU is marketable anywhere in the country and St. Louis is a very good law job market (I can speak from experience....).

Old 03-15-2008, 07:55 PM

Guide to Law Schools
usnews.com: America's Best Graduate Schools 2008: Complete Guide to Law Schools

I hope that helps. I assume it's accurate. Maybe it'll give you ideas anyway.

Washington University is number 19 actually.

Apparently to get the full info you have to subscribe to the site. I'm not sure it's worth that much, but it's a good quick browse.

There's also a list of the most expensive and cheapest law schools. Washington University is unfortunately one of the more expensive, but if you choose to go to one of the more expensive schools I assume it would be worth it.

St. Louis University is actually one of the largest with 945 full-time or part-time students (712 full-time). Wash U has 800, but 788 are full-time. Both are private schools, and SLU (St. Louis University) is Catholic, but you don't have to be Catholic to go there.

University of Missouri Columbia is #66. Tuition is listed at $28,175 (out of state) + $7,848
SLU - $30,040 (full-time), $21,920 (part-time)
Room and board: $11,988
Wash U
Tuition: $36,380 (full-time)
Room and board: $11,000

But if you can get a decent apartment for $600/month it might be cheaper to live off-campus.

Some more about Wash U.
Washington University in St. Louis School of Law
ILRG.com - 2008 Law School Profile - Washington University in St. Louis

I hope that is helpful.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 03-15-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,310 times
i went to law school in nyc...if you're concerned about going to a school in a neighborhood that is cheaper to live in, i'd suggest looking into St. John's or CUNY law school in Queens. You might also consider Pace Law or Hofstra which are in suburbs but not far from the city by suburban rail. Another option is Seton Hall in Newark; one of my best friends goes there but lives in the Jackson Heights neighborhood in Queens, he commutes by train. his rent is around 650/mo that; he shares a 2-bedroom.

if you're more concerned with just living in a cheaper neighborhood i'd suggest living in Queens or Brooklyn and taking the subway to school. at my law school in manhattan, a large percentage of the students commuted from New Jersey, where rents are significantly cheaper. I think the best option is to live in Manhattan (or Brooklyn or Queens) and share with 2-3 roommates. Your individual rents will be lower but you'll live in a totally pimped-out place compared to living in a shoebox in manhattan by yourself with high rent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or