Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 12:08 PM

64 posts, read 49,024 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

My partner and I are going to spend a super romantic Christmas / New years road trip (December 21th- January 6th ) I live in Colorado, We arent sure if taking a flight to either San Francisco and spend Chrismas around Sonoma / Napa Valley and continue our drive down to San Diego and drive back to Colorado from there.

OR Drive from Denver towards Utah, Nevada, San Francisco and celebrate Christmas there in Napa? or somewhere on the way? then drive all the way down stopping somewhere in Carmel, Los Angeles and finish our trip in San Diego maybe celebrate New Years in San Diego or around that area and either drive back from san Diego or fly.

Another option, drive from Denver towards New Mexico and celebrate Christmas in the heat of Arizona, I heard there are some nice resorts that focus on outdoor activities, we could also visit the Grand Canyon and other areas that arent that commercial? neither of us have never been to that area.

Bottom line we arent sure where to celebrate Christmas or New Years, If you could please make suggestions? and recommend nice romantic areas, outdoor activities, hotels or resorts, we love good food, wine, animals, nature, hiking, forests, springs, water, yoga, mixed with nice bars and yummy food.

Sorry If It sounds confusing, but I am really confuse lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:04 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloaloha View Post
Hey there,

My partner and I are going to spend a super romantic Christmas / New years road trip (December 21th- January 6th ) I live in Colorado, We arent sure if taking a flight to either San Francisco and spend Chrismas around Sonoma / Napa Valley and continue our drive down to San Diego and drive back to Colorado from there.

OR Drive from Denver towards Utah, Nevada, San Francisco and celebrate Christmas there in Napa? or somewhere on the way? then drive all the way down stopping somewhere in Carmel, Los Angeles and finish our trip in San Diego maybe celebrate New Years in San Diego or around that area and either drive back from san Diego or fly.

Another option, drive from Denver towards New Mexico and celebrate Christmas in the heat of Arizona, I heard there are some nice resorts that focus on outdoor activities, we could also visit the Grand Canyon and other areas that arent that commercial? neither of us have never been to that area.

Bottom line we arent sure where to celebrate Christmas or New Years, If you could please make suggestions? and recommend nice romantic areas, outdoor activities, hotels or resorts, we love good food, wine, animals, nature, hiking, forests, springs, water, yoga, mixed with nice bars and yummy food.

Sorry If It sounds confusing, but I am really confuse lol
I don't know if you're aware, but the water in the Bay Area is freezing year round, especially December/January. So the water activities probably should be avoided.

That being said, Northern California is full of romantic & intimate B&B's, small inns, etc... A little research will go a long way!

Old 09-13-2017, 03:20 PM

64 posts, read 49,024 times
When you say Northern Cali you mean Oregon, Washington too? isnt the weather terrible in that area in december?

Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
When you say Northern Cali you mean Oregon, Washington too? isnt the weather terrible in that area in december?
When I say Northern California, I mean Northern California, considering Oregon & Washington aren't California...

Weather in the Bay Area, Napa, etc...will be fine, with a chance of rain

Old 09-14-2017, 12:32 AM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Hey there,

How do you drive back to Colorado if you fly to SF first? Out of state car rental drop offs are really expensive. I would skip overrated San Francisco and fly to LA. For the first part of the trip I would drive up the coast to Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo.

I would skip Napa in December unless you do not mind the potential for cold rainy days. For wineries in December I would visit the Paso Robles wine country and maybe some wineries in Santa Barbara County.

Paso Robles | California Wines

https://pasowine.com/

best lodging in santa barbara wine country

You might also enjoy visiting the famous Hearst Castle on the Central California coast.

For the second part of the trip I would head south to San Diego area. I would stop in places like Malibu, Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, Palos Verde, Newport Beach and Laguna Beach on the way down to San Diego. I would stay in La Jolla or Coronado and visit the many San Diego area attractions.

Maybe for the third part of the trip I would head out to the desert for the Palm Springs aerial tramway. This is a good thing to do in December but not in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.