Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 PM

650 posts, read 867,608 times

Advertisements

Do you think it costs more to live in a warm or cold climate?

In a cold climate, you are going to need fall, spring, summer, and winter clothes. Winter clothes can get pretty expensive.

A warmer climate, you don't have to have such an extensive wardrobe for that many seasons.

Do you think you save a significant amount living in a warmer climate, not having to buy clothes for Winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 03:01 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post

In a cold climate, you are going to need fall, spring, summer, and winter clothes. Winter clothes can get pretty expensive.

A warmer climate, you don't have to have such an extensive wardrobe for that many seasons.

Do you think you save a significant amount living in a warmer climate, not having to buy clothes for Winter?
The cost of living in year round warm climates are significantly more expensive than those of colder/4 season climates.

For instance, I live in the Bay Area, a decent normal single family home is anywhere from $800K-$1.5 million. Where as a place like Minneapolis, which is an amazing place, I could get a similar home for $150K-$300K.

I'll buy some winter clothes anyday to avoid a ridiculous rip off such as California, hence why I'll be leaving before long.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:14 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,883,453 times
You're neglecting ancillary costs like running an air conditioner 24/7 for months on end. When we lived in Dallas our electric bill would go through the roof from late May well into September because of the AC. Altogether the AC probably cost us at close to $1000/yr in electricity.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:21 AM

30 posts, read 35,222 times
I have two places that I can relate to: metro Detroit area where I grew up and the mountains of Western North Carolina, where I currently live

It is the south. It gets really hot. But it still snows occassionally. I own just as many winter clothes here as I did there. It doesn't get much below the 30's here, regularly, but it's miserable because of the humidity.

As someone else said, the cost of living and utilities makes a difference. It is assinine how expensive it is to live where I do. Stupid, really. Wages are low, expenses quite high. It is so not worth it.

I could buy several more sets of clothing for my whole family and still have way more money if I were to move back to Michigan. I don't find winter clothes have to be that expensive, if you don't go overboard with buying things. A really good set of boots, a few really nice sweaters, a good coat, and a hat and mittens, maybe some snow pants? Those won't cost you more than the exhorbitant amount it may cost to live somewhere considered more "desirable" like WNC.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:25 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
I can't imagine anyone makes living decisions based on wardrobe costs.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Id say they're about equal. Where you'll spend less on clothes in a warm clime, you'll spend more in a/c, etc. Ive lived in both extremes and I don't see any big monetary difference between the two places.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:43 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,074,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post

It is not the wardrobe it's the utilities and maintenance costs on the property. Electric for a/c costs the equivalent or more than gas heat, so that cost trade depends on how much use is needed. I have also seen much more water and insect damage to property in southern warm climates than in cold. Can't speak for desert west.

Northern cities with cooler summers probably have the lowest costs, highest costs likely deep South like Florida that need a/c most of the year, or midwest with cold Winters and hot summers.

Old 09-14-2017, 03:05 PM

405 posts, read 476,047 times
Depends on the area of the warm/cold climate. Houston is obviously cheaper than New York and Boston, however Minneapolis is much cheaper than Los Angeles.

I find as a whole the south/most of the southwest tends to be cheaper than the northeastern states.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
You're neglecting ancillary costs like running an air conditioner 24/7 for months on end. When we lived in Dallas our electric bill would go through the roof from late May well into September because of the AC. Altogether the AC probably cost us at close to $1000/yr in electricity.
This. Here in Phoenix the A/C during summer months can easily cause over a $400/month electric bill. My friend's 900 square foot apartment near Downtown had a $200/month electric bill in July.

Some of these costs can be avoided, by picking a house with the right floor plan and construction, having a good electric company and right electric plan, and the biggest one: having a swamp cooler. But many people don't consider that when they move here. Not too mention pool maintenance, additional gas because the A/C in your car needs gas to run, etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 PM

4,397 posts, read 4,286,737 times
Cost more to heat your house than cool your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.