U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,257 posts, read 1,482,224 times
Reputation: 1738

Advertisements

Don't sleep on Fayetteville. Forbes named Fayetteville Arkansas (metro) the #3 Best Place to Live in 2016 and #5 in 2017.

Fayetteville is surprisingly liberal. It functions as the liberal haven in a growing metro of 530,000 people. The town itself has great cultural amenities, and the broader metro will also surprise you. If outdoors activities or cycling are something that interest you, Fayetteville and the metro have mountain biking and city cycling amenities that are as good as anywhere.

Cultural amenities in Fayetteville:

Walton Arts Center

Walton Arts Center

Theatre Squared

https://www.theatre2.org/

Botanical Garden of the Ozarks

Botanical Garden of the Ozarks

Artists Laboratory Theatre

Artists Laboratory Theatre Home - Artists Laboratory Theatre

Culture in the broader metro:

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (Bentonville)

https://crystalbridges.org/

8th Street Market

8th. Street Market

A lot is happening here, all the time. Take a trip down here and you will be surprised. The national rankings among "Best Places" are no fluke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2017, 07:10 AM
 
Location: Juneau
601 posts, read 714,157 times
Reputation: 2277
Fayetteville is an up and coming region and has something for everyone. I'm not sure what "liberal" ideals you're looking for but it's where the U. of Arkansas is located so I'm sure you can find a bubble that fits you well there. The region is becoming more like Asheville NC which has a lot of arts and cultural variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 09:31 AM
 
2,158 posts, read 2,670,541 times
Reputation: 2609
I can't think of many college towns that are soooo different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,094 posts, read 3,410,813 times
Reputation: 7765
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would say Ann Arbor as well, bigger university and it has proximity to a much larger city in Detroit. The OP however should not expect the liberal culture of the college town in either place to extend all that far from the college town itself. Everyone knows Arkansas is a religious conservative state, no brained. Michigan however may surprise the liberal OP, outside college towns and minority dominated cities Michigan tends to be very conservative as well. Ann Arbor is an island of millenials and hippies surrounded by deer hunters in pickup trucks on one side and to its east is a sea of white suburbanites. Don't expect a liberal culture outside of Ann Arbor. If you want a true liberal culture look to the northeast or the pacific coast. The Midwest and even more so the South are conservative, college towns in these two regions are islands of liberals surrounded by an ocean of red state conservatives.


Being surrounded by conservatives should be no problem for tolerant liberals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,094 posts, read 3,410,813 times
Reputation: 7765
Ann Arbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas via ATX
1,257 posts, read 1,482,224 times
Reputation: 1738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I can't think of many college towns that are soooo different.
Have you visited both cities?

Ann Arbor and Fayetteville actually remind me of one another. Both have a picturesque, cosmopolitan downtown near campus where you are constantly aware of the big state university's presence right next door.

Ann Arbor is a little bit larger and has more old buildings. Fayetteville has mountain views and attracts people who want an outdoors lifestyle. You can mountain bike and hike in the city limits.

Every single ward in Fayetteville went for Hillary in the past election.

Anyway, a review of OP's post history shows an interesting pattern of similar questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 06:18 PM
sub
Status: "Feeling suspicious" (set 12 days ago)
 
822 posts, read 420,248 times
Reputation: 1393
Ann Arbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
43 posts, read 39,845 times
Reputation: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Don't sleep on Fayetteville. Forbes named Fayetteville Arkansas (metro) the #3 Best Place to Live in 2016 and #5 in 2017.

Fayetteville is surprisingly liberal. It functions as the liberal haven in a growing metro of 530,000 people. The town itself has great cultural amenities, and the broader metro will also surprise you. If outdoors activities or cycling are something that interest you, Fayetteville and the metro have mountain biking and city cycling amenities that are as good as anywhere.

Cultural amenities in Fayetteville:

Walton Arts Center

Walton Arts Center

Theatre Squared

https://www.theatre2.org/

Botanical Garden of the Ozarks

Botanical Garden of the Ozarks

Artists Laboratory Theatre

Artists Laboratory Theatre Home - Artists Laboratory Theatre

Culture in the broader metro:

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art (Bentonville)

https://crystalbridges.org/

8th Street Market

8th. Street Market

A lot is happening here, all the time. Take a trip down here and you will be surprised. The national rankings among "Best Places" are no fluke.
Still not at Ann Arbor's level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 AM
 
3,974 posts, read 3,508,685 times
Reputation: 6405
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeKing5 View Post
Still not at Ann Arbor's level.
I don't think it's a fair comparison in that regard. Even though Ann Arbor is considered a statistically separate metro area, it really functions as part of a 4.5 million person metro area with Greater Detroit. It has access to cultural amenities and resources not available in the blossoming NW Arkansas region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM
 
2,158 posts, read 2,670,541 times
Reputation: 2609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Have you visited both cities?

Ann Arbor and Fayetteville actually remind me of one another. Both have a picturesque, cosmopolitan downtown near campus where you are constantly aware of the big state university's presence right next door.

Ann Arbor is a little bit larger and has more old buildings. Fayetteville has mountain views and attracts people who want an outdoors lifestyle. You can mountain bike and hike in the city limits.

Every single ward in Fayetteville went for Hillary in the past election.

Anyway, a review of OP's post history shows an interesting pattern of similar questions.

Yes. I have.


Went to Michigan and worked as a consultant to Walmart, and visited Fayetteville on a couple of occasions (I admit, do not have a thorough knowledge of Fayetteville but a passing understanding). Other than they are both large schools and have students coursing through them, I see very little similarity, at least when you compare Michigan to BigTen schools. Ann Arbor has very little in common, physically or culturally , with Fayetteville. That said, I do think Fayetteville does have charms and seems pretty interesting.


And -- is this directed at me? Anyway, a review of OP's post history shows an interesting pattern of similar questions. If so, you better explain yourself.

Last edited by BigLake; 09-19-2017 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top