U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 07:54 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis isn't sunless for multiple days on end. But it's cold for 8 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 PM

157 posts, read 99,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Louisville, KY fits the bill pretty well. The biggest thing it'd be lacking is a major public transit network, although it has plenty of bus routes if that's what you're needing.

It's VERY affordable for a large metro. All four seasons, however the winters usually aren't harsh at all. Decent food scene, multiple music festivals and the KFC Yum Center brings in some major bands/concerts. The tech industry isn't huge in Louisville, yet, but Louisville, especially downtown is hugely on the rise (tons of construction going on).

Some really great, family oriented neighborhoods as well. Plenty of Catholics, Catholic Churches, schools, etc... I think it could work pretty well
Out of all of the cities people have mentioned, this is probably the best fit for you that I know of, but I can't speak for Phoenix for instance. Or what about Columbus or Indianapolis? There are some other cities like Pittsburgh that I would suggest, but I think they might be too small for you. Philadelphia is awesome, though. If I had to live in one of the cities you listed, I'd pick that one.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:24 PM

6,552 posts, read 13,748,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athrabeth View Post
So I'm mostly from Raleigh. Lived in Atlanta for ~5 years, moved back home Dec '16. I'm single, male, 30 years old, work in software development.

Without going into too much detail, moving back to Raleigh may have been the right decision at the time to deal with some things, but I don't think I can stay here permanently - being in my hometown for too long at this point just has too much baggage from various things in the past. Add in trouble reconnecting after having been away so long and it gets worse. So I am seriously thinking about moving early next year.

Here is a list of what's important:

- A somewhat large city with a variety of things to do. Like no smaller than Charlotte or Austin.
- Some arts and culture and a decent amount of young people into that sort of thing. The minimum is that there should be a professional symphony (which rules out Austin, which to be honest didn't impress me much anyway when I visited last year). Good museums and theater are nice too. This stuff doesn't need to all be top-tier, just available.
- Relatedly, should get a decent number of touring bands.
- Good tech job opportunities. I'll say that neither startup culture nor huge corporations are for me. My ideal is a stable mid-sized company, moderately professional environment but still flexible, and moderately up-to-date within a on new tech without always following the bleeding edge of the very newest.
- Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself here, but a good place to raise kids. Now I am not married yet but plan to be in the next few years, with children following eventually. Also, part of the reason I want to leave Raleigh is that I have too much baggage from my own childhood to see myself with a family here. And relatedly, somewhere it wouldn't be too hard to find someone to match with and marry (yes, I realize modern dating is hard everywhere).
- Good weather. I can deal with heat or cold, but can't deal with lots of sunless days at a time. This probably rules out Chicago, Minneapolis, and Seattle.
- Not super expensive. There is some flexibility here because IT pays well, but certainly not New York or San Francisco level. (This probably rules out all of California).
- A variety of good food, especially at the cheap-to-medium end.

Secondarily, these are nice but less essential:

- Diverse, not overly segregated.
- A cultural change from the southeast.
- Decent local music scene, particularly jazz. I am a bit of a musician myself (not jazz), though just as a hobby and I mostly only do open mics.
- Politically center-ish.
- Decent public transit.
- A city with some history.
- A large number of Catholics. I am one and practice it seriously. Can live with a smaller number, but wouldn't hurt (would help with the getting married thing too).
- A good airport.
- Some level of outdoor stuff, if not in the city then a reasonable drive. I am not super outdoorsy (though in good shape) so it's not essential, but it's nice to have the option when the mood strikes.

So here is what I'm looking at right now:

- Charlotte - Main advantage here is within a few hours of family, both immediate and extended.
- Denver - Also have family near here, though some may move in a year or two.
- Dallas/Fort Worth - Meets most of my criteria. It does have a reputation for ostentatious materialism, but if I put up with it in Atlanta I can do it here right?
- Philly - I like this city but am worried about job prospects.
- Back to Atlanta - A little leery about this after the difficult experience of returning to my hometown after being away, but won't rule it out.

Anywhere else I should consider?

Louisville especially for history and Catholics! Don't write it off, and it is really growing. 11 billion now in construction in last 3 years. Louisville has a great new Jazz club, lots of local music, and this year alone we have hosted every big name act imaginable....I have seen Ed Sheeran, ColdPlay, U2, and Eddie Vedder, Band of Horses, Stevie Nicks, etc. Louisville is easily entering the upper echelon of music cities.

It's also an artsy and liberal city...a different feel from Raleigh.

Please read this....if you can get past the PR vibe, it really highlights some of what is going on in the city. There are so many open jobs that there aren't enough people to fill them. The problem, is people stereotype KY. You even see it on these boards. However, anyone who truly spends time in Louisville either falls in love, or at least they "get" why people love it so.

:

https://louisvilleky.gov/sites/defau...ovate_2017.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or