U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:08 PM

425 posts, read 293,818 times

Advertisements

Indiana. General American accents, relatively flat outside of the Southern portion of the State. Indiana is considered flyover territory and is what most people think of when they think Mainstream America. If you have watched the Netflix series, "Stranger Things" (setting in Indiana), you can pick up on the Mainstream America vibes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 01:19 PM

16 posts, read 9,324 times
I'll second Illinois.

NPR actually did a piece last year on states that trend closer to what one thinks of as "America" via statistics, and Illinois came on top as a near perfect microcosm of the U.S.

It has a major population center in a city of Chicago, racial demographics on par with the nation, about 60% of the state lives near cook county, its land mass is predominantly suburb/rural, and it trends democratic as a result of its city.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 PM

791 posts, read 1,052,558 times
Ohio - there's a good demographic mix, different regions/cultures. Yes, there is some post industrial, but there's also a lot growth and development in the area. (Just like America in a lot of other places too).

It's really rural in some areas and still has city life. It doesn't have a super huge city like Chicago, New York (etc) that just take over the political/state landscape. (In my state, there's the "Detroit vs the rest of the state" mentality that just hangs over everything and a lot of people just can't seem to move beyond that talking point).

Indiana is just way too conservative in many respects and Michigan, WI, IL are a bit too liberal to be mainstream in a few areas, but Ohio I think has a better balance. Right wing in some ways, but Left in others.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:59 PM

3,507 posts, read 7,314,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
The only reason Illinois is the closest demographically to the U.S. is Chicago. Drive from Evansville, In to Davenport, Ia and tell me Illinois represents the demographics of the US.

The Quad Cities(at least the Illinois side) demographically itself is not too far off from Illinois or the U.S.

East Moline, IL

White non-hispanic- 59.7%
Hispanic- 19.6%
Black- 13.1%
Asian- 5.3%
Mixed race- 2.8%

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 09-17-2017 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 03:44 PM

905 posts, read 913,125 times
Virginia

Old 09-19-2017, 10:40 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,581,240 times
I always think of Ohio as being the most generically American state

Old 09-20-2017, 01:48 AM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
For entire states, I would say North Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Missouri. All these states have a mix of white collar and blue collar industries and economically thriving and depressed areas though Pennsylvania is increasingly more Rust Belt. Texas has too much illegal immigration and too many non-English speakers/foreign born residents to be mainstream. Chicago is also non-mainstream with its far left politics and crime.

Individual cities I would have Baton Rouge, Charlotte, Dallas, Orlando, and Colorado Springs on the list.

West Virginia best represents mainstream America as it was in the good ol' days.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:29 PM

601 posts, read 711,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Watch View Post
I think Michigan. Its suburbs are modernized, it's politics are in the middle and chain restaurants are a very common sight.
One could say Nebraska, as the state is dead-smack in the middle of the country (geographically speaking), but I found Nebraska to be a little behind-the-times in many regards. That is not a bad thing IMO.
So what state do you consider to represent mainstream, modern America the most?

Ohio.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:10 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Illinois. Its in the Midwest and stretches far from north to south so its northern but the bottom of the state has southern influences.

It has a Great Lake coastline which even looks like the ocean. It has a huge major city and some decently sized ones.

It has lots of small towns and farms. Typical American landscape, nothing too dramatic like mountains or desert.

It has the Mississippi River. Can you get anymore American than that?

It's got its share of prosperous suburbs and neighbourhoods as well as urban blight and crime.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
I think Texas represents America well.....bigoted. Florida isn't far behind.....racism and bigotry run rampant in the two states.

California is also a Top 5. Sorry, but being "liberal" and "blue" means nothing if your state is built upon gentrifying areas to the max.

I'm guessing you haven't actually been to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.