U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:16 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
The only reason Illinois is the closest demographically to the U.S. is Chicago. Drive from Evansville, In to Davenport, Ia and tell me Illinois represents the demographics of the US.
I think they do. People don't realise that middle America is demographically very very very white. Also, doesn't the Little Egypt area have a pretty decent black population? Similar to the Deep South?

Its not like non-metropolitan America has the same diversity that urban metro areas do. New York state outside the urban areas is also very white. Texas is probably the most diverse state in its rural areas as you can find huge populations of non-white people in small towns. Also any state with a pretty high percentage of Native Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 01:20 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
For entire states, I would say North Carolina, Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Missouri. All these states have a mix of white collar and blue collar industries and economically thriving and depressed areas though Pennsylvania is increasingly more Rust Belt. Texas has too much illegal immigration and too many non-English speakers/foreign born residents to be mainstream. Chicago is also non-mainstream with its far left politics and crime.

Individual cities I would have Baton Rouge, Charlotte, Dallas, Orlando, and Colorado Springs on the list.

West Virginia best represents mainstream America as it was in the good ol' days.
South Texas, sure. Not the rest of the state. West and North Texas, where I used to live, virtually all the Hispanic population speaks English and probably over half were born in the state. I don't think it represents "mainstream America" as much as Midwestern states, but only South Texas fits that description. I would not include Baton Rouge on that list, its too Deep South. I wouldn't include any Louisiana city.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,424,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I guess when I said important I meant that maybe the idea is that Iowa provides a good cross section of American voters.
Yeah, old ones.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,663,289 times
Mizzoura

Old 09-20-2017, 02:31 PM

11,435 posts, read 6,403,154 times
Illinois or Ohio. A bit southern, a bit Midwestern, very suburbanized with the exception of the big cities, kinda diverse but not really. Seems like prototypical US

Old 09-20-2017, 04:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,540,992 times
The big problem here is that when a lot of people think "mainstream America," they think "1950s America," which isn't our current reality. FiveThirtyEight did a study about exactly this last year, and the answers may surprise you.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-white-people/

According to this study, the state that's most demographically similar to the U.S. as a whole is Illinois, as a few people here have suggested. But No. 2? It's New York, and the top 10 is rounded out by a bunch of states nobody has mentioned.

1. Illinois
2. New York
3. New Jersey
4. Connecticut
5. Virginia
6. Florida
7. North Carolina
8. Delaware
9. Rhode Island
10. Massachusetts

The big takeaways here: America is more urban and more diverse than you probably think. The most typical metro area in the U.S.? Indianapolis? Columbus? Try again: It's New Haven, Connecticut.

By contrast, take a look at the states that are most similar to the demographics of 1950s America. They include a bunch of states that have been mentioned frequently in this thread:

1. Kentucky
2. West Virginia
3. Indiana
4. Tennessee
5. Arkansas
6. Missouri
7. Ohio
8. Utah
9. Idaho
10. Alabama

Old 09-20-2017, 04:45 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Midwest, Ohio, Michigan.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:48 PM

7,384 posts, read 11,551,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
The big problem here is that when a lot of people think "mainstream America," they think "1950s America," which isn't our current reality. FiveThirtyEight did a study about exactly this last year, and the answers may surprise you.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-white-people/

According to this study, the state that's most demographically similar to the U.S. as a whole is Illinois, as a few people here have suggested. But No. 2? It's New York, and the top 10 is rounded out by a bunch of states nobody has mentioned.

1. Illinois
2. New York
3. New Jersey
4. Connecticut
5. Virginia
6. Florida
7. North Carolina
8. Delaware
9. Rhode Island
10. Massachusetts

The big takeaways here: America is more urban and more diverse than you probably think. The most typical metro area in the U.S.? Indianapolis? Columbus? Try again: It's New Haven, Connecticut.

By contrast, take a look at the states that are most similar to the demographics of 1950s America. They include a bunch of states that have been mentioned frequently in this thread:

1. Kentucky
2. West Virginia
3. Indiana
4. Tennessee
5. Arkansas
6. Missouri
7. Ohio
8. Utah
9. Idaho
10. Alabama
Yea, that is weird.

I'm from NJ. I would NOT consider that mainstream America.

Anytime I meet someone who actually goes hunting on a regular basis, I'm still like ... "You're actually from NJ?"

Old 09-20-2017, 10:25 PM

2,025 posts, read 2,353,110 times
Ohio

Old 09-21-2017, 01:45 AM

571 posts, read 390,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Ohio
Why do we even consider Ohio to be a Midwestern state? Stop and think.

1. It's in the eastern third of the country, and it's not even close to being near the mid-way point to the West.

2. There isn't even anything remotely "western" about Ohio either.

I vote that we kick it out of the "Midwest category" and create a new category to describe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.