U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,308,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I find this ironic because on a different Thread you claimed the following:

This is pretty much coastal elitism: the smug "Some people might like this, but I as a New Yorker I am too good for it" vibe. The type of people who think "I've "Traveled" around the US before so I understand you less sophisticated people, but NYC is too much for you to understand after a week of visiting."
Wow, I have someone on here stalking my posts. I feel kind of uncomfortable. Do I have to make my profile private? You also seem to be pretty worked up over this. Why? Why are some people on this forum so weird? Do people actually use the term "coastal elite" in real life? If I heard someone say that IRL I wouldn't be able to take them seriously.

I didn't single out any State, I just described a very vague image of what I imagine to be stereotypical America. FWIW, Nevada and Arizona and others in the desert Southwest are some of my favorite States, despite the fact that they have no Coast! Actually Nevada is tied for my #1 favorite State (with Hawaii).
I've mentioned this a couple times on this forum before, so feel free to dig a little deeper if you want. Also I'd rather live in Chicago or Colorado over anywhere the Southeast coast (except Florida). A lot of projection going on here with you. and quotation marks over things I've never said.

As for the last paragraph: that's not what I said at all and you're deliberately misquoting me. I said some people may like it, and that's fine. it's just not for me, not at all. I bet most people in America probably wouldn't ever want to live in NYC, and guess what: that's fine too. I don't care. I love where I live and that's what matters to me. I'm not gonna get all offended over other people's personal opinions and preferences that are different from mine. But I guess **** me for having an opinion, right? I guess because I live on the coast and am a New Yorker, which btw I didn't even mention in either of those posts, but you decided to throw in NY stereotypes anyway (not much different than your "coastal elite", is it?), I will automatically be labeled as "smug" or "elite" for having an opinion and liking where I live.

\_(ツ)_/

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 09-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: Fixed typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 11:40 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,108,082 times
Ohio, Pennsylvania, or Virginia. These are the ones that straddle East/West or North/South divides.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:59 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Wow, I have someone on here stalking my posts. I feel kind of uncomfortable. Do I have to make my profile private? You also seem to be pretty worked up over this. Why? Why are some people on this forum so weird? Do people actually use the term "coastal elite" in real life? If I heard someone say that IRL I wouldn't be able to take them seriously.

I didn't single out any State, I just described a very vague image of what I imagine to be stereotypical America. FWIW, Nevada and Arizona and others in the desert Southwest are some of my favorite States, despite the fact that they have no Coast! Actually Nevada is tied for my #1 favorite State (with Hawaii).
I've mentioned this a couple times on this forum before, so feel free to dig a little deeper if you want. Also I'd rather live in Chicago or Colorado over anywhere the Southeast coast (except Florida). A lot of projection going on here with you. and quotation marks over things I've never said.

As for the last paragraph: that's not what I said at all and you're deliberately misquoting me. I said some people may like it, and that's fine. it's just not for me, not at all. I bet most people in America probably wouldn't ever want to live in NYC, and guess what: that's fine too. I don't care. I love where I live and that's what matters to me. I'm not gonna get all offended over other people's personal opinions and preferences that are different from mine. But I guess **** me for having an opinion, right? I guess because I live on the coast and am a New Yorker, which btw I didn't even mention in either of those posts, but you decided to throw in NY stereotypes anyway (not much different than your "coastal elite", is it?), I will automatically be labeled as "smug" or "elite" for having an opinion and liking where I live.

\_(ツ)_/
Stalking ? no you said it on a thread a few weeks ago at most. Isn't it your opinion? Myself and at least one other person disagreed with you, It is a commonly used term, and that you probably don't talk about it because you are one. The fact that you live in BROOKLYN is in all caps on everything you post.

You seem to be the one bent out of shape over this, you are after all the one saying you wouldn't take someone who has a perspective that is different from your own seriously and then try to play like you are some victim of stalking or for being from the NE or something.

Coastal elitism has nothing to do with liking Nevada. LOL

Talk about digging yourself a deeper hole stereotype wise. Geez

Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Stalking ? no you said it on a thread a few weeks ago at most. Isn't it your opinion? Myself and at least one other person disagreed with you, It is a commonly used term, and that
you probably don't talk about it because you are one. The fact that you live in BROOKLYN is in all caps on everything you post.

You seem to be the one bent out of shape over this, you are after all the one saying you wouldn't take someone who has a perspective that is different from your own seriously and then try to play like you are some victim of stalking or for being from the NE or something.

Coastal elitism has nothing to do with liking Nevada. LOL

Talk about digging yourself a deeper hole stereotype wise. Geez
It's just very strange to me. There are many posters on here that I recognize and remember. Some for good reasons, some for not-so-good reasons, and some just from seeing their name around a lot. But you... I have no recollection of ever seeing you or interacting with you. So the fact that you kinda just come at me out of nowhere with multiple posts that I made weeks ago on separate threads is very, very, strange and creepy to me. Like I have no idea who this person even is. Can you see it from my perspective? Someone I don't even know or talk to ever is monitoring my posts and keeping track of what I say weeks ago... do you not think that is a little weird?
Well, I'll surely remember you now after this... that's certain

Anyway, I think I detect inland elitism in this thread
/s
Quote:
It is a commonly used term, and that you probably don't talk about it because you are one.
Thanks for welcoming me to the "elite" club, I guess. This is the first I'm hearing of this. Does "The Coastal Elite" include everybody on the coasts, or just a select few? And serious question: people actually use this term in real life? I just can't imagine how this would come up in an actual face-to-face conversation. It's not that I don't respect people's opinions that don't like the coasts, (I don't care at all) but the term "Coastal Elite" just sounds very silly to me, and I can't imagine anyone seriously using this term in a real-life conversation.

And I don't really care if you continue to stereotype me, I'm just pointing out it's a bit hypocritical to complain about the members of the exclusive elite coastal club stereotyping the people that don't live near oceans, when you appear to be doing just the same. I do feel that if I didn't have a NYC location tag, and instead had Jacksonville for example, you wouldn't have said some of those things. Or maybe wouldn't have said anything at all.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:44 AM

7,823 posts, read 12,328,370 times
I think Tennessee is also another good cross section of America, from the small classic rural Appalachian towns that hark back to the good ol' days to cities and suburbs like Nashville and Memphis, with the poverty and blight in Memphis too. The area outside Memphis close to the Mississippi Delta, the blues, country music, etc are all quintessentially American images/aspects.

I also don't think Baton Rouge is too Deep South to qualify as mainstream America. Yes this is the South but not the classic south like Charleston SC or Savannah and its not New Orleans or Cajun country either. Here and Shreveport are probably the most mainstream American cities in Louisiana. Many people in Baton Rouge don't have a Southern accent and the landscape is dominated by freeways, strip malls, and suburban neighborhoods. There is a ghetto element in North Baton Rouge and a yuppie scene close to the LSU campus too mixed in for good measure. Politics are generally center right with a large Democrat liberal black population within the city with mostly Republican, more integrated middle class and wealthy suburbs. Most people also engage in the traditional suburb to city commute pattern with many areas of downtown getting quiet in the evening. I read that somewhere around 95% of Baton Rouge area residents drive a personal vehicle to work which is the lifestyle that sets America apart from most foreign countries.

I know its not the good ol' days of Mayberry anymore, but for me the typical "mainstream" American family speaks English as a first language, is Christian, lives in a suburban neighborhood, is middle class, travels mainly by car, eats primarily all-American food both chain restaurants and local places with some international food now and then, votes Republican, and goes to church at least twice a month. Those "new urbanist" areas with the big focus on bike lanes and mass transit isn't "mainstream" America. Super artsy or countercultural places are also not "mainstream".

Old 09-24-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
It's just very strange to me. There are many posters on here that I recognize and remember. Some for good reasons, some for not-so-good reasons, and some just from seeing their name around a lot. But you... I have no recollection of ever seeing you or interacting with you. So the fact that you kinda just come at me out of nowhere with multiple posts that I made weeks ago on separate threads is very, very, strange and creepy to me. Like I have no idea who this person even is. Can you see it from my perspective? Someone I don't even know or talk to ever is monitoring my posts and keeping track of what I say weeks ago... do you not think that is a little weird?
Well, I'll surely remember you now after this... that's certain

Anyway, I think I detect inland elitism in this thread
/s

Thanks for welcoming me to the "elite" club, I guess. This is the first I'm hearing of this. Does "The Coastal Elite" include everybody on the coasts, or just a select few? And serious question: people actually use this term in real life? I just can't imagine how this would come up in an actual face-to-face conversation. It's not that I don't respect people's opinions that don't like the coasts, (I don't care at all) but the term "Coastal Elite" just sounds very silly to me, and I can't imagine anyone seriously using this term in a real-life conversation.

And I don't really care if you continue to stereotype me, I'm just pointing out it's a bit hypocritical to complain about the members of the exclusive elite coastal club stereotyping the people that don't live near oceans, when you appear to be doing just the same. I do feel that if I didn't have a NYC location tag, and instead had Jacksonville for example, you wouldn't have said some of those things. Or maybe wouldn't have said anything at all.
I mean I can see it from your perspective, we have absolutely interacted before, but I guess you don't recall. Going by That_One_Guy and relating everything to NYC does make you pretty memorable.

Anyway, I didn't think there was some unspoken rule about keeping every thread separate from each other or interacting with someone you disagree with.

I just wanted to call you out on the irony in you saying that you don't believe in a Coastal Elite, and then later describe most of America as something you don't have a very positive view of and just offer negative stereo types.

It is one thing to love where you live, but still love the rest of the country as well. It is another thing to think where you live makes you better than everyone else or that it is the "only" place you could stand to live.

That is exactly what people are talking about when they talk about Coastal Elites. It has absolutely nothing to do with how close you live to water, Its an attitude of superiority and disdain. I don't dislike the east coast as you seem to think I do, I dislike that attitude.

Of course there are people from the country who have disdain for cities, but that isn't the same as elitism if anything it is reactionary anti-elitism.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I mean I can see it from your perspective, we have absolutely interacted before, but I guess you don't recall. Going by That_One_Guy and relating everything to NYC does make you pretty memorable.
Nope... don't remember you at all, but I will for now on. You were the one that brought up NYC though. But I'm glad you can see it from my perspective. And I'm glad I'm memorable, I guess that is a compliment. So thanks.
Quote:
Anyway, I didn't think there was some unspoken rule about keeping every thread separate from each other or interacting with someone you disagree with.

I just wanted to call you out on the irony in you saying that you don't believe in a Coastal Elite, and then later describe most of America as something you don't have a very positive view of and just offer negative stereo types.
I have a feeling that if you ask people from almost anywhere in the World about mainstream American stereotypes you will hear a lot of negative things like: fat, loud, obnoxious, ignorant about the rest of the world, etc. This is our image; it's how the rest of the world views us. That is stereotypical mainstream America, like it or not. People also still think of the Levvitown suburbs and white pickit fence suburbia, and we are notorious around the world for very poor or non-existent public transportation as well.

Quote:
It is one thing to love where you live, but still love the rest of the country as well. It is another thing to think where you live makes you better than everyone else or that it is the "only" place you could stand to live.

That is exactly what people are talking about when they talk about Coastal Elites. It has absolutely nothing to do with how close you live to water, Its an attitude of superiority and disdain. I don't dislike the east coast as you seem to think I do, I dislike that attitude.
This I disagree with. America is a very big place. I don't have to love it all equally or be happy living anywhere in this giant country. I do not really want to live anywhere else in America (except maybe Miami if I want a complete change of life), and a huge part of that is transportation and nightlife. There are many other cities over the world that I would love to have the chance to live in though, even just temporarily. I have no personal interest in living anywhere else in America, at least in this moment of my life. That should not offend anybody since it is my personal opinion. So for that I will not apologize. I'm sure many other people feel similar about wherever they live.

Quote:
Of course there are people from the country who have disdain for cities, but that isn't the same as elitism if anything it is reactionary anti-elitism.
No, that is called a double standard. What's the difference?

Old 09-24-2017, 01:54 PM

7,738 posts, read 9,030,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Yeah, old ones.
That is true. Iowa has quite a large elderly population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Scott View Post
I think Texas represents America well.....bigoted. Florida isn't far behind.....racism and bigotry run rampant in the two states. .
Stop. Just stop.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:12 PM

I never said you have to like all of America equally.

I guess you can view a large part of your fellow countrymen in a negative light if you want to, but I think that qualifies as elitism. Thinking you are better than someone because you have more money, power, education, or are more cosmopolitan (even if all of those were true) is elitism.

I've traveled abroad and while there are negative stereotypes about Americans there are plenty of good ones as well.

No one says you have to move, but I do think people who wouldn't be willing to try a new place out are limiting themselves.

I'm not offended by that, but it sort of reminds me of a kid growing up who wouldn't try new food.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Well, I've lived in New Jersey for a few years. And I don't mean Jersey City/Hoboken/right next to Manhattan New Jersey, I mean Camden County in South Jersey which is actually not in NYC area but a Philly suburb. I don't think New Jersey overall fits the bill for mainstream America, but the town I lived in was very typical American suburbia. It was not for me at all. I couldn't wait to get back to the city. I've tried that type of food and I didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.