Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 11:36 PM

45 posts, read 56,476 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved from the East Coast to San Diego 5 years ago. We love the weather in our new location. However, I worry about being exposed to smoke from fires that might occur in the future, especially since I have asthma. Does anyone have recommendations for small or large cities in the Southwest with cultural offerings and low fire/smoke risk? Seems like every desirable place is near a high fire risk zone. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2021, 12:03 AM

3,841 posts, read 4,491,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernglobal View Post
My husband and I moved from the East Coast to San Diego 5 years ago. We love the weather in our new location. However, I worry about being exposed to smoke from fires that might occur in the future, especially since I have asthma. Does anyone have recommendations for small or large cities in the Southwest with cultural offerings and low fire/smoke risk? Seems like every desirable place is near a high fire risk zone. Thanks for your input.
Fellow asthmatic here.
Fires are more common anywhere in the west. It's unnerving for sure so best to be prepared.
I grew up in So. California, but the worst fire smoke I ever experienced was up where I live now in Vancouver, Washington. (Just north of Portland) last September 2020.
We had air quality in the deep red hazardous zone from forest Fires for nearly a week! We live in an upstairs apartment with no central air, so we have a couple of portables. However, we had to dismantle them to keep the windows shut, and we put a towel at the bottom of our front door.
We had our air purifier going, already stocked up on food anyway because of Covid, and all my medications up to date. It finally passed and the air was clear once again. Luckily, I had no big problems, but I do not have severe everyday asthma. (My biggest trigger actually is any type of virus, ug!) Again, be prepared during fire season.
Btw, hope you're enjoying San Diego! Great town, but if looking to relocate, I'm guessing the desert would be lower risk since they don't have as much to burn. Of course dust storms and extreme dry air aren't a picnic for some asthmatics either.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:19 AM

6,852 posts, read 4,334,465 times
I live in northern Nevada and have moderate asthma. Most years are fine.

Old 05-11-2021, 10:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 10,545,813 times
Here in the high desert near Albuquerque, we still get smoky days from California fires. Not many -- but it can effect some sensitive people.

Old 05-11-2021, 12:47 PM

32,497 posts, read 47,468,261 times
You can get way out into the desert and there isn't anything to burn. But you will get smoke blowing in from west of you.

If the concern is smoke and not fire, live with your toes in the sand of the Pacific. The wind blows in from the ocean and pushes any smoke away from you.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:05 PM

1,840 posts, read 1,467,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can get way out into the desert and there isn't anything to burn. But you will get smoke blowing in from west of you.

If the concern is smoke and not fire, live with your toes in the sand of the Pacific. The wind blows in from the ocean and pushes any smoke away from you.
I agree although I have not lived in an actual desert. A desert has less trees and less vegetation to burn, so wouldn't it be less scary if you are in a sparsely vegetated or treeless area that gets too hot? There would be no forests to burn and the fire would not spread.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 PM

102,076 posts, read 106,950,530 times
I live in Santa Fe, NM, which has culture on a par with much larger cities: symphony, chamber music orchestra, opera, a half dozen museums, art fairs, enormous outdoor art markets that draw an international crowd, as well as national, author lectures sponsored by a local foundation, two research institutes and think tanks that offer lectures, science lectures from Los Alamos lab, outdoor summer concerts sponsored by St. John's college, and lecture events by the same college, and many art and poetry events by the Institute of American Indian Art. And those are just the events I can think of off the top of my head. And there's skiing.

There have been very few wildfires in the last 20 years; a total of 3, as I recall, and only one was nearby. Last summer there was one about 30 miles north of us, but the smoke didn't reach us. The wind was blowing in a different direction, and it was small at the point it was 100% contained.

It depends on the desert, as to whether it has material to burn. NM's high desert has sagebrush, and in some areas, it's overgrown. Homeowners in more rural areas don't control it on their property. That could be a fire risk. But NM also has forests.

Still, Santa Fe has been pretty fortunate so far...

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-11-2021 at 08:48 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 07:36 PM

45 posts, read 56,476 times
Default Santa Fe forecasted for higher fire risk in the future?

Thank you everyone, for your suggestions. Sorry for the late reply, but I was not informed in my email that I had any replies, for some reason. Ruth, we love Santa Fe, but doesn't it have significant fire risk going forward? I read a report online that seemed to suggest this, and I know it has a lot of forests around it.
MG

Old 05-18-2021, 08:48 PM

26,851 posts, read 43,334,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernglobal View Post
You might consider Flagstaff AZ.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:19 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,729,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might consider Flagstaff AZ.
Higher fire risk than any of the desert cities. A lot more plant life. Where do you think the fires happen? It's certainly not where there's no trees and only cacti.

Don't live somewhere arid if you want low fire risk. So throw the whole West out of your consideration, except the rainy Pacific Northwest along the I-5 and west of there until the southern Oregon border. No Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona... none of them. No Bend or Spokane either.

And like other posters said, California burns enough to impact states east of them.

Besides if you're concerned with the air quality that comes with fire... the Southwest has the worst air quality in the whole country, from cars alone. You want to live somewhere humid with a breeze that will push all that away and dilute the pollution in the air with water. Places like Florida never have bad air quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.