U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:49 PM

17,739 posts, read 4,104,090 times

Advertisements

work in the oil field in Texas like Midland/Odessa or work a trade or start your own company.maybe join military,first responders or law enforcement. or videos like other people said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 11:50 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,834,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the age of globalization and automation, the American economy has certainly changed within the past 20-30 years, making individuals with high-skill levels (having a bachelor's degree or higher) more likely to obtain and afford the American dream. While people with just an associates degree (there are some work fields that except this sort of degree more than others, especially in medical and automotive fields), post-high school certification, or have a high school diploma or less, usually have a lesser chance of obtaining the dream the U.S. was once known to have.
You have fallen under the liberal brainwashing that has led millions of kids to average salaries and huge debt all for a piece of paper. Go work for the government, US postal service, or get a mechanical/construction job. No college degree is needed and you will make more than most.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:35 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
What is the American Dream?

This!!! One has to narrow this down for themselves. Many especially the millennial generation and down could care less about a home, and large family and a house in suburbia. Instead opting to travel, live in cities/urban villages, and be a bit more carefree. The american dream went away in 2008 with the recession.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:37 AM

2,129 posts, read 775,667 times
Absolutely! Most small business owners I know do not have a degree. Just very skilled in one particular area.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:27 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,259,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
This!!! One has to narrow this down for themselves. Many especially the millennial generation and down could care less about a home, and large family and a house in suburbia. Instead opting to travel, live in cities/urban villages, and be a bit more carefree. The american dream went away in 2008 with the recession.
That isn't true. Surveys show that the majority of millennial still want homes and about the same number of children as previous generations.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:10 PM

5,494 posts, read 2,320,856 times
Sure. Community college teaches you hugely important skills that are in demand.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:21 AM

3,511 posts, read 7,324,098 times
You can always( as long as you have good driving record and is 21 years old or over) become a truck driver and start off making the same salary as a school teacher, which requires a 4 year degree.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM

1,236 posts, read 1,429,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
i definitely think so.

I only have an associates degree and a couple years ago got an with an amazing company. This year, I should bring in right around $90K-$100K AFTER taxes. I've worked hard, paid dues, blah blah blah but I'm doing well.

Another thing to keep in mind, "It's not always what you know; but who you know".
Nice!

Old 09-21-2017, 03:38 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,328,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Get into a construction union. After a couple years as a paid apprentice you'll probably earn more than the household median. Certainly in my city it works that way, in the mid-40s per hour.
What if he/she gets hurt or sick, AND it's unrelated to the job? That's the problem with labor-intensive industries like construction or landscaping -- they're not quite as amenable to the 50 and 60 somethings of the world. This was true for some people I know, anyways.

To answer the question: yes, you can probably find a way to live the American Dream without getting a Bachelors or Associates (or masters or PhD, etc.), but it's just going to be a LOT harder than it would be if you did. It's kind of like asking "can I join the college football team as a walk-on?". It probably happens, but it's not the best route to take.

Still, there's SO MUCH you can do in this country without having to join the rat race and continue on with advanced education. But like I said, it's just a little harder. In the end it's all about your connections and who you know anyways. My degree does practically nothing for me at this point in my career, aside from being able to say I got one like almost everybody else. If I got my foot in the right doors and became great at something, people would find me regardless of my education. It's all about getting those opportunities, or making them happen.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:50 PM

14,154 posts, read 19,792,852 times
This needs to be for bachelor's degrees now. Most people I know who have them are waiting tables and only one has a stupid major. Most are engineering degrees from LSU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or