Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,111 times

Advertisements

In the age of globalization and automation, the American economy has certainly changed within the past 20-30 years, making individuals with high-skill levels (having a bachelor's degree or higher) more likely to obtain and afford the American dream. While people with just an associates degree (there are some work fields that except this sort of degree more than others, especially in medical and automotive fields), post-high school certification, or have a high school diploma or less, usually have a lesser chance of obtaining the dream the U.S. was once known to have.

We are here to find out, if there are any cities in the U.S., where a person can work one, legal job, while having only a high school diploma or equivalency all the way up-to an associates degree, and still be able to obtain and afford the American dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:59 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Absolutely it is. But here is the caveat: Those who don't have the college degree need to have other skills, mostly in technology. That said, the combination of tech skills + a college degree would be even a better scenerio. This may sound simplistic, but I believe it to be true.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 6,865,667 times
Get into a construction union. After a couple years as a paid apprentice you'll probably earn more than the household median. Certainly in my city it works that way, in the mid-40s per hour.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,435 times
Well you'd have to start by defining a general "American dream" before we can speculate.

Is it just being able to put food on the table for your kids or even having kids? Living in a safe but modest neighborhood or something more? Going on vacation once a year? Driving a modest but efficient car? How many hours a week do you work and what type of work is it? etc.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the age of globalization and automation, the American economy has certainly changed within the past 20-30 years, making individuals with high-skill levels (having a bachelor's degree or higher) more likely to obtain and afford the American dream. While people with just an associates degree (there are some work fields that except this sort of degree more than others, especially in medical and automotive fields), post-high school certification, or have a high school diploma or less, usually have a lesser chance of obtaining the dream the U.S. was once known to have.

We are here to find out, if there are any cities in the U.S., where a person can work one, legal job, while having only a high school diploma or equivalency all the way up-to an associates degree, and still be able to obtain and afford the American dream?
Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard....

Tom Cruise is a high school drop out as is Michael J Fox.

Justin Beiber doesn't have any fancy degrees either

Old 09-15-2017, 10:47 PM

14 posts, read 10,195 times
Default Absolutely

I never got a college degree and make over 100k. But you will have to work harder and more hours than most people with a degree.

I am a 24 year veteran police officer and make 67,000 a year salary and 35,000 a year extra in part time jobs doing security off duty in uniform.
Many other trades are like this. Plumbers, construction, technology, I.T., Arts, and many more.
Whatever skills you have you can sell that work to others in need. Even dog walking and elderly care/babysitting.

Last edited by LuckyOaks; 09-15-2017 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: forgot few words

Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
What is the American Dream?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:09 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard....

Tom Cruise is a high school drop out as is Michael J Fox.

Justin Beiber doesn't have any fancy degrees either
Well they are the exception and not the norm though.

Bill Gates wasn't your typical college droupout.

Tom Cruise & Michael J. Fox had Hollywood success so a high school diploma wouldn't have mattered and Beiber became a pop star as a teen also.

Is the American dream available to those with only a HS Diploma?
( I presume the following : owning a Home, a car , paying for Health Insurance, retirement fund, yearly vacation, etc.)
I guess it depends on the occupation or career.

Most won't be able to achieve the things I mentioned above unless they advance their education. It's not like 20+ years ago where you had a Union Job and you would have guaranteed wages / health insurance & a pension.
(Exclude the Military & the police from the equation above)

Old 09-16-2017, 10:10 AM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,334 times
Why exclude military and police? Anyway, t is still possible. Besides construction and trades like plumbing, I know a lot of people with only high school education, or even lower, who worked very hard at low paying jobs,such as janitorial work, lived very frugal but satisfying lives, and used their savings to open successful businesses. I know some people doing that even now.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:17 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Since when does a degree guarantee a standard of living? Lots of people have gone on to be successful without a degree. Skills are needed though. Look at many mechanics, many of them realized when they were young they had a talent for automotive repairs. Many people have the unusual knack of finding an appropriate job suitable to support themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.