U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2017, 09:58 PM
 
18 posts, read 12,631 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

The title of the question is pretty self explanatory, what are some towns or small cities that have the infrastructure to support a car free existence? As a family, more and more we have become a bit tired out of city life, but because my wife can't drive and because we belong to a minority religious group we have felt bound to large cities. However, it seems that in this day and age (certainly not when I was growing up) there are masjids pretty much everywhere especially college towns, which I assume are more walkable than average small cities and towns so that concern has become less.

We are open to living anywhere in the country, aside from Florida, Southern California, Alaska and Hawaii. We prefer cold weather to hot weather, but we are open.


Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2017, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Reputation: 35202
Pretty much anywhere in America, and especially any smaller towns, public transportation is not convenient. So, teach your wife to drive. She will enjoy the freedom. Life will be easier for both of you, and you will have many more options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 AM
 
21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Reputation: 19622
I think a college town with a much higher educated population on average will be a more comfortable fit and provide the transportation infrastructure, as well as walkability in many instances. Given my familiarity with such places i would recommend specifically Bloomington IN which is a religiously diverse small town of 85K a bit over an hour southwest of Indianapolis.

https://www.visitbloomington.com/
Islamic Center of Bloomington
https://bloomingtontransit.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM
 
56,561 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12495
East Lansing MI comes to mind: The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing
https://www.cata.org/
https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7238...7i13312!8i6656

Another college town: CIMIC – Central Illinois Mosque & Islamic Center
https://www.cumtd.com
City of Champaign - Champaign, IL official website or
https://www.urbanaillinois.us

For a non college town, this urban suburb near a state university may work: IOST Masjid
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1104...7i13312!8i6656
17 Johnson City | broomecountyny
Village of Johnson City, NY | (607)798-7861 | Home
Oakdale Mall - Welcome to Oakdale Mall - 601-635 Harry L. Drive Suite 17, Johnson City, NY 13790 (in the village)
https://www.binghamton.edu/
BC Transit Routes | broomecountyny


Another more urban suburb in NY State that may work is Lackawanna just south of Buffalo, which has a good sized Muslim population(Yemeni), Masjid Al Huda | Lackawanna Islamic Mosque It also has the Al Rasheed Academy, a private school.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-19-2017 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 AM
 
18 posts, read 12,631 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Pretty much anywhere in America, and especially any smaller towns, public transportation is not convenient. So, teach your wife to drive. She will enjoy the freedom. Life will be easier for both of you, and you will have many more options.
She's afraid to learn, so it's probably not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 03:49 PM
 
18 posts, read 12,631 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
East Lansing MI comes to mind: The Islamic Society of Greater Lansing
https://www.cata.org/
https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7238...7i13312!8i6656

Another college town: CIMIC Central Illinois Mosque & Islamic Center
https://www.cumtd.com
City of Champaign - Champaign, IL official website or
https://www.urbanaillinois.us

For a non college town, this urban suburb near a state university may work: IOST Masjid
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1104...7i13312!8i6656
17 Johnson City | broomecountyny
Village of Johnson City, NY | (607)798-7861 | Home
Oakdale Mall - Welcome to Oakdale Mall - 601-635 Harry L. Drive Suite 17, Johnson City, NY 13790 (in the village)
https://www.binghamton.edu/
BC Transit Routes | broomecountyny


Another more urban suburb in NY State that may work is Lackawanna just south of Buffalo, which has a good sized Muslim population(Yemeni), Masjid Al Huda | Lackawanna Islamic Mosque It also has the Al Rasheed Academy, a private school.
Thanks.


I wouldn't want to live in or near Buffalo, or in any suburb of a big city.


Michigan looks nice, never thought about Lansing but Ann Arbor has come up, is it walkable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 PM
 
56,561 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falsafa View Post
Thanks.


I wouldn't want to live in or near Buffalo, or in any suburb of a big city.


Michigan looks nice, never thought about Lansing but Ann Arbor has come up, is it walkable?
If you are referring to East Lansing, it is walkable and is more affordable than Ann Arbor.

Ann Arbor has over 100,000 people and it is very close to the Detroit metro. So, I don't know if it would work for those reasons.

Just to clear things up, Johnson City is in the Binghamton metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2017, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Reputation: 35202
Well, I think we need to know what it is you don't like about the city life where you live now.

If it's otherwise convenient as far as walkability, what don't you like about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 06:50 AM
 
Location: Somewhere extremely awesome
3,024 posts, read 2,462,079 times
Reputation: 2312
State College, PA would fit this criteria. With Penn State dominating the scene, busses go everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top