U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:15 PM

4,403 posts, read 4,609,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I'm not sure that they took the last part of their methodology very seriously: "We eliminated any place that had more than double the national crime risk, less than 85% of its state’s median household income, or a lack of ethnic diversity."

There are their top ten:

1. Fishers, Indiana
2. Allen, Texas
3. Monterey Park, California
4. Franklin, Tennessee
5. Olive Branch, Mississippi
6. Dickinson, North Dakota
7. Lone Tree, Colorado
8. North Arlington, New Jersey
9. Schaumburg, Illinois
10. Bozeman, Montana

Some of those places lack ethnic diversity by pretty much anyone's definition: Fishers, Dickinson, Bozeman, and Lone Tree are all 85% to 90% white (2010 census), yet they made the list. Montery Park is about 70% Asian. While some of the others are more diverse to be sure, like Olive Branch or Allen, it makes me think that they only paid lip service to finding diverse places, giving diversity very little weight in their rankings.

It is difficult to find places that are both ethnically diverse and have low crime. NYC is diverse and has a low crime rate at this time but it certainly doesn't meet the affordable criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 07:29 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
3 cities in North Dakota?

Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,680,269 times
North Arlington, NJ ?! aaahhhhhaaaaahahaha. What a joke this list is. I can name 100 places in NJ alone nicer than N Arlington...

Old 09-19-2017, 09:09 PM

2,094 posts, read 766,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
It is difficult to find places that are both ethnically diverse and have low crime. NYC is diverse and has a low crime rate at this time but it certainly doesn't meet the affordable criteria.
A lot of people would make the argument that on a micro level NYC is not diverse per se. Everyone has self segregated by race/ethnicity into certain areas of the city. Wouldn't a diverse place be where all the races live around each other. Like we see in areas of San Francisco or Atlanta? Also, is there any evidence that being a diverse place is even a positive attribute? Isn't the natural human instinct to gravitate towards other people who look/think like themselves?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:32 PM

406 posts, read 288,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
North Arlington, NJ ?! aaahhhhhaaaaahahaha. What a joke this list is. I can name 100 places in NJ alone nicer than N Arlington...
Thought that too! Also was surprised to see Saddle Brook. Both are fine middle class areas, however there are others that are much nicer/not as congested in Bergen County/Jersey itself (Paramus and New Milford in Bergen for example, Manalapan East Hanover and Middletown in Central, and Swedesboro/other Philly suburbs in South Jersey.)

Old 09-19-2017, 11:02 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,477,905 times
There are four cities in the Northwest Arkansas metropolitan area on that list. Not bad, considering they left off Bentonville, which might be the best overall town in the metro.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
A lot of people would make the argument that on a micro level NYC is not diverse per se. Everyone has self segregated by race/ethnicity into certain areas of the city. Wouldn't a diverse place be where all the races live around each other. Like we see in areas of San Francisco or Atlanta? Also, is there any evidence that being a diverse place is even a positive attribute? Isn't the natural human instinct to gravitate towards other people who look/think like themselves?
Technically you are correct, but this is not the lived reality of NYC. Obviously there are neighborhoods here dominated by one or another group, although there are indeed ethnically mixed ones too. But because we are the densest city in the country, many neighborhoods of different ethnicities are pretty much jammed up against each other making interaction inevitable. So the folks just across the street can be far different than you are. And secondly, because most of us ride the bus or subway (the great equalizer), we are jammed together every day with tons of folks far different that us. I'd argue that that makes the lived reality of diversity here equal, if not greater than anything you find in less dense, car-centric parts of the country.

As to whether ethnic diversity is a positive attribute, I think it is, if for no other reason that the entire country is becoming more multi-cultural day by day, and certainly already is in many metros. The quicker we accept and learn to respect that, the better off the nation will be. IMHO a lot of the fear of ethnic diversity and the rationalization that "people just want to be around their own kind" just comes from white Americans who fear that they'll no longer be the dominant group in U.S. society any more. (Hear me Donald?)

Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 PM

406 posts, read 288,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Technically you are correct, but this is not the lived reality of NYC. Obviously there are neighborhoods here dominated by one or another group, although there are indeed ethnically mixed ones too. But because we are the densest city in the country, many neighborhoods of different ethnicities are pretty much jammed up against each other making interaction inevitable. So the folks just across the street can be far different than you are. And secondly, because most of us ride the bus or subway (the great equalizer), we are jammed together every day with tons of folks far different that us. I'd argue that that makes the lived reality of diversity here equal, if not greater than anything you find in less dense, car-centric parts of the country.

As to whether ethnic diversity is a positive attribute, I think it is, if for no other reason that the entire country is becoming more multi-cultural day by day, and certainly already is in many metros. The quicker we accept and learn to respect that, the better off the nation will be. IMHO a lot of the fear of ethnic diversity and the rationalization that "people just want to be around their own kind" just comes from white Americans who fear that they'll no longer be the dominant group in U.S. society any more. (Hear me Donald?)
Not to make this a political thing/go off topic, but I don't see anything wrong with wanting to be around your own kind. Most people don't feel like that because of fear, but just the simple comfort of being around your own people. I myself do not mind a diverse area, but, lets be real here, some "white people" may feel uncomfortable or scared because most of the "safest" or "least troubled" parts of most metropolitan areas are predominantly white. For example, Chicago may be segregated because the troubled parts of town are not white, therefore causing the white folk to not want anything to do with it. And quite frankly if I lived in Chicago, I'd feel the same way.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:11 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,807,465 times
This is Money's audience....suburban professionals with kids in school.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:47 PM

989 posts, read 595,645 times
Des Plaines, IL is not desirable at all. I'd say it's in the bottom half of Chicago's suburbs. Surely on the list because of its proximity to O'Hare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or