U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 12:39 PM

4,543 posts, read 2,320,866 times

Advertisements

top ten metros. what would turn into their downtown areas if their current downtown didnt exist:

n.y.c. -> brooklyn
l.a. -> hollywood
chicago -> ?
dallas -> ?
houston -> ?
washington, d.c. -> georgetown
philadelphia -> south philly
miami -> south beach
atlanta -> buckhead
boston -> cambridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,460,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
top ten metros. what would turn into their downtown areas if their current downtown didnt exist:

n.y.c. -> brooklyn
l.a. -> hollywood
chicago -> ?
dallas -> ?
houston -> ?
miami -> south beach
atlanta -> buckhead
boston -> cambridge

For D.C. the original diamond shape of the 100 sq mi city included Arlington and Alexandria, in which case I think clearly Rosslyn/Arlington would have been the primary downtown with more people living there. As it exists today, you already have this:

https://arlingtonva.s3.dualstack.us-...e-1024x573.jpg

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/rele...-headquarters/

Last edited by JMT; 09-20-2017 at 04:45 AM..

Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,690 times
The only other place in Dallas that could function as a second Downtown would be Victory Park/Uptown, which is technically an extension of Downtown anyways. So I don't think that counts?

Other contenders in the city of Dallas includes:
*Preston Center -- needs to become more pedestrian friendly and connected via light rail
*Galleria/LBJ (new Midtown Development) -- see above

The suburbs have horrific office building sprawl, so I just can't see any of them becoming a true Downtown. The Legacy corridor so desperately needs light rail. Las Colinas is doable, but just too small.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:06 PM

8,702 posts, read 11,931,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post

n.y.c. -> brooklyn
l.a. -> hollywood
chicago -> ?
dallas -> ?
houston -> ?
miami -> south beach
atlanta -> buckhead
boston -> cambridge
I think University City would likely turn into the Downtown for Philadelphia if Center City didn't exist... certainly over South Philly I'm sure.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:03 PM

5,883 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Downtown Chicago is where the river converges with the lake. The core of downtown Chicago and what once was the totality of the city's core is, of course, the Loop. The Loop is where the skyscraper was born because, like Manhattan, topography made land values in the Loop exceedingly high. The Loop is not an island like Manhattan but a peninsula, surrounded by Lake Michigan on one side and the Chicago.

I didn't throw all that info in gratuitiously but did soo to make a point:

It would be inconceivable for downtown Chicago to be anywhere but where it is now.

You want further proof: unlike some other cities, Chicago doesn't come close to an area that could be described as a second core.

Downtown Chicago, from North Ave to Cermack, from the lake to the United Center, is the Emerald City not just for all os Chicago but all of Chicagoland.

It's a total magnet and it couldn't exist any place other than where it is.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM

4,543 posts, read 2,320,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
I think University City would likely turn into the Downtown for Philadelphia if Center City didn't exist... certainly over South Philly I'm sure.
repped, good one. i wish i could change the op -- for some reason i was thinking where the stadiums are.

now that i think of it for boston, if downtown crossing didnt exist then new downtown should be back-bay.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:08 PM

847 posts, read 1,637,156 times
New York City - Downtown Brooklyn
Los Angeles - Hollywood
Toronto - North York
Chicago - Near West Side?
Philadelphia- South Philly
Washington D.C. - Arlington
Seattle - Industrial District
Pittsburgh - Oakland
Ottawa - Gatineau
Detroit - Midtown
Buffalo - Elmwood Village
Richmond - Carytown

Old 09-19-2017, 03:10 PM

3,744 posts, read 8,689,395 times
Can't think of any area within Chicago that could double as a downtown. Probably a few suburban areas like Rosemont, Schaumburg, Oakbrook/Lombard/Downers

Old 09-19-2017, 09:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,020,375 times
Yeah, Chicagoland radiates from the core. There's a couple big spots like Oakbrook, Oak Park, Evanston, Naperville, Schamburge, etc, etc, But none are dominant over the other.

I guess the bay area is the same way with many poles.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:40 AM

7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Sometimes I think people don't understand New York City at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or