Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:58 PM

12 posts, read 7,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by respect100 View Post
You are not going to find that the "grass might be greener" somewhere else, ATL has it going on in a huge way. I was there last week and was literally blown away at all of the development everywhere, it was amazing.
Yeah ATL is great. My friend was telling me it's a shame I started here in ATL because this is where most people want to move to. It's just time for me a change. I may come back to GA in the future, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 11:31 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,393 times
Jean5 - I personally would never live in Richmond. I think if you're a young professional you should be in a larger city. Philadelphia's winters aren't too bad and the young professional group is pretty big there. Plus you're a short distance away from NYC and the winters aren't as bad as further north.

I live in Raleigh, NC and I love it. It has direct flights to ATL for cheap. It's a less flashy and less busy ATL. Come and check it out!

Old 09-28-2017, 04:22 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Jean5 - I personally would never live in Richmond. I think if you're a young professional you should be in a larger city. Philadelphia's winters aren't too bad and the young professional group is pretty big there. Plus you're a short distance away from NYC and the winters aren't as bad as further north.

I live in Raleigh, NC and I love it. It has direct flights to ATL for cheap. It's a less flashy and less busy ATL. Come and check it out!
Reading your first sentence and then reading your last few is contradictory, or is Raleigh that much better than Richmond?

Old 09-28-2017, 04:28 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Chicago
Philly
Baltimore

Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Another place based upon the insurance industry and having areas of diversity, Hartford CT may work. Not sure about classes or educational opportunities in regards to sign language interpreters though.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 PM

12 posts, read 7,485 times
Default Which of these three cities should i move to?

I think I have narrowed it down to three places. I am planning to move sometime late next year from Georgia.

Georgia is fine but I'm 24yo and want to experience living in another state while I'm young and single. The only things I'm looking for is a city with a good nightlife, plenty of other black young professionals, and jobs. I currently work in insurance and will be looking for a new job in the insurance industry. All three of these cities seem to have plenty of job opportunities in insurance. I prob won't start applying for jobs until sometime next year. Also, my max rent would be $1300 if possible. I am extremely picky about where I live so I don't want to live in some crummy apartment :/.

My top three places ( for now )

no particular order

Chicago, IL - i have family here; also there's plenty of insurance companies in the downtown area, I'll be going back possibly for thanksgiving with the family to tour downtown again ( and see my grandma ). My mom doesn't want me to live here bc of crime but there's crime in ATL so... (my parents were born and raised here)

Charlotte, NC - i've heard great things about Charlotte that there are a lot of young professionals in the area, it's down in the south so the apartment prices aren't as bad. I'll be visiting at the beginning of December

Philadelphia, PA - young professionals, nightlife; I keep reading that it's dirty in Philly though.. I plan to visit sometime early last year.

I would like to hear what you all think of the three places above - pros and cons, and areas of each city that are best to live. Thank you!!

Last edited by JMT; 10-02-2017 at 05:33 AM..

Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean5 View Post
I think I have narrowed it down to three places. I am planning to move sometime late next year from Georgia.

Georgia is fine but I'm 24yo and want to experience living in another state while I'm young and single. The only things I'm looking for is a city with a good nightlife, plenty of other black young professionals, and jobs. I currently work in insurance and will be looking for a new job in the insurance industry. All three of these cities seem to have plenty of job opportunities in insurance. I prob won't start applying for jobs until sometime next year. Also, my max rent would be $1300 if possible. I am extremely picky about where I live so I don't want to live in some crummy apartment :/.

no particular order

Chicago, IL - i have family here; also there's plenty of insurance companies in the downtown area, I'll be going back possibly for thanksgiving with the family to tour downtown again ( and see my grandma ). My mom doesn't want me to live here bc of crime but there's crime in ATL so... (my parents were born and raised here)

Charlotte, NC - i've heard great things about Charlotte that there are a lot of young professionals in the area, it's down in the south so the apartment prices aren't as bad. I'll be visiting at the beginning of December

Philadelphia, PA - young professionals, nightlife; I keep reading that it's dirty in Philly though.. I plan to visit sometime early last year.

I would like to hear what you all think of the three places above - pros and cons, and areas of each city that are best to live. Thank you!!
Chicago could be a good option for you with family in town in my opinion and with your budget should be able to find a nice apartment in an area where crime isn't a big concern. A very desirable neighborhood like Lakeview has over 100 apartments in your price bracket. https://www.zillow.com/homes/lakeview-chicago-il_rb/

Charlotte is a clean, thriving city with lots of young professionals and mild winters too, so that could be appealing to you. In your price bracket you could be within the very best neighborhoods in/around downtown with very nice apartments to choose from. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...79_rect/13_zm/

Philadelphia will be similar to Chicago and is quite dirty/grimy. Also $1300 a month won't go as far there in terms of apartment quality. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...93_rect/14_zm/

Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean5 View Post

no particular order

I would say Chicago due to not only family nearby, but it is an area with multiple options within and outside of the city proper. As mentioned before, some places outside of Chicago that could/would work like Evanston, Oak Park, Aurora, Joliet and Elgin may be worth a look due to being diverse cities with their own scene within the metro area. For instance, say you get a job at corporate with a company in Northbrook, Evanston would be a good option due to being closer than Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.