Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:41 AM

48 posts, read 64,716 times

Advertisements

I would like to know which city would be more suited to a liberal who is ready to relocate. Also I would like to know the cultural amenities in each city and how well educated the populace is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 AM

93,226 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Ann Arbor...

Old 09-14-2017, 09:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,175,525 times
Ann Arbor. And it's not even close.

Old 09-14-2017, 01:48 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Suited to a liberal? Almost no question, Ann Arbor. Though, even being in the south, I would imagine as a major state university, Fayetteville would have a reasonably liberal populace as well, at least to the point where you probably wouldn't be frowned upon for NOT being conservative, not sure about that though.

Other advantages for Fayetteville would be that it has a lower COL, has better access to hiking opportunities (or at very least, mountains), and it has what I would say is one of the most balanced/pleasant year round climates not in the west, due to it's position in the Ozarks. For example, summer is hot at times but reasonable, and winter is relatively mild as well, with 6-7 gorgeous months in between.

Advantages for Ann Arbor would be the increased level of prestige in the university (probably, overall better culture scene as well, even if comparable, Greater Detroit's cultural scene would just be far larger than anything NW Arkansas would have to offer (though it isn't because NWA is that bad, just that SWMI is that strong). Ann Arbor is also situated within the Detroit Metro area, and it is an easy drive to Canada, and even weekend trips to Chicago or Toronto are not especially difficult, plus, with the Detroit airport, you have far more options for going many places around the world. Ann Arbor has an especially vibrant/walkable downtown, I believe Fayetteville's is quite good too, but not quite as strong. Of course, Fayetteville has Bentonville and Springdale at it's disposal too, but... Ann Arbor has Detroit (many neat areas to explore), Royal Oak, Dearborn, Bloomfield Hills, etc.

For what you're looking for, it sounds like almost no question that this one goes to AA, but, I could see a reasonably liberal person with a penchant for mild 4 season weather, affordable low stress living, fantastic hiking, and a not half bad cultural scene doing well in Fayetteville too. It's just in what you're prioritizing.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Suited to a liberal? Almost no question, Ann Arbor. Though, even being in the south, I would imagine as a major state university, Fayetteville would have a reasonably liberal populace as well, at least to the point where you probably wouldn't be frowned upon for NOT being conservative, not sure about that though.

Other advantages for Fayetteville would be that it has a lower COL, has better access to hiking opportunities (or at very least, mountains), and it has what I would say is one of the most balanced/pleasant year round climates not in the west, due to it's position in the Ozarks. For example, summer is hot at times but reasonable, and winter is relatively mild as well, with 6-7 gorgeous months in between.

Advantages for Ann Arbor would be the increased level of prestige in the university (probably, overall better culture scene as well, even if comparable, Greater Detroit's cultural scene would just be far larger than anything NW Arkansas would have to offer (though it isn't because NWA is that bad, just that SWMI is that strong). Ann Arbor is also situated within the Detroit Metro area, and it is an easy drive to Canada, and even weekend trips to Chicago or Toronto are not especially difficult, plus, with the Detroit airport, you have far more options for going many places around the world. Ann Arbor has an especially vibrant/walkable downtown, I believe Fayetteville's is quite good too, but not quite as strong. Of course, Fayetteville has Bentonville and Springdale at it's disposal too, but... Ann Arbor has Detroit (many neat areas to explore), Royal Oak, Dearborn, Bloomfield Hills, etc.

For what you're looking for, it sounds like almost no question that this one goes to AA, but, I could see a reasonably liberal person with a penchant for mild 4 season weather, affordable low stress living, fantastic hiking, and a not half bad cultural scene doing well in Fayetteville too. It's just in what you're prioritizing.
I can put up with the higher cost of living in AA.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:25 AM

69 posts, read 95,310 times
Fayetteville city politics are surprisingly liberal (especially considering the towns and area surrounding it). I imagine Ann Arbor is more left leaning though

Old 09-16-2017, 06:06 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Ann Arbor by a mile in this instance.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:02 PM

9,469 posts, read 10,796,574 times
I would say Ann Arbor as well, bigger university and it has proximity to a much larger city in Detroit. The OP however should not expect the liberal culture of the college town in either place to extend all that far from the college town itself. Everyone knows Arkansas is a religious conservative state, no brained. Michigan however may surprise the liberal OP, outside college towns and minority dominated cities Michigan tends to be very conservative as well. Ann Arbor is an island of millenials and hippies surrounded by deer hunters in pickup trucks on one side and to its east is a sea of white suburbanites. Don't expect a liberal culture outside of Ann Arbor. If you want a true liberal culture look to the northeast or the pacific coast. The Midwest and even more so the South are conservative, college towns in these two regions are islands of liberals surrounded by an ocean of red state conservatives.

Old 09-17-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would say Ann Arbor as well, bigger university and it has proximity to a much larger city in Detroit. The OP however should not expect the liberal culture of the college town in either place to extend all that far from the college town itself. Everyone knows Arkansas is a religious conservative state, no brained. Michigan however may surprise the liberal OP, outside college towns and minority dominated cities Michigan tends to be very conservative as well. Ann Arbor is an island of millenials and hippies surrounded by deer hunters in pickup trucks on one side and to its east is a sea of white suburbanites. Don't expect a liberal culture outside of Ann Arbor. If you want a true liberal culture look to the northeast or the pacific coast. The Midwest and even more so the South are conservative, college towns in these two regions are islands of liberals surrounded by an ocean of red state conservatives.
I did and I find Midwestern states to be quite moderate.
http://content.gallup.com/origin/gal...ov36quzfiq.png

Last edited by AnimeKing5; 09-17-2017 at 03:20 PM..

Old 09-17-2017, 04:47 PM

93,226 posts, read 123,819,554 times
What people may not realize with Ann Arbor or its metro is that a smaller city by the name of Ypsilanti also has a good sized state university in Eastern Michigan University and is quite diverse as well. Even some of the rural/suburban areas in that part of Washtenaw County and even nearby Wayne County can be more diverse than people expect them to be. I'm thinking of places like Van Buren, Sumpter, Ypsilanti Charter and Superior Charter townships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.