U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 06:09 AM

13,266 posts, read 10,413,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It looks like Godzilla ripped open that one building. I don't like the look of a few of these. Are they trying to turn us into Dubai?

And this picture let's me see more of the Spire's positioning and I don't like where it is going to be.

The renderings of those buildings are pretty bad, but where could the spire be placed that would be better than its current location? Have you driven past the location in person yet?

The spire is being built right smack in the center of the skyline. You'll have the Hancock and Sears holding up the outsides, while the Trump and Spire support the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM

595 posts, read 2,533,451 times
Sooner or later, they will eventually build up the area surrounding the Spire and put taller building there so it dosen't look so funny. That picture is pretty old, too. There are several buildings in that picture that have been completed for a long time now. (for example, the two buildings next to the Aon Center)

I don't think we're goning to end up looking like Dubai at all. We have many projects going on right now, but they are still very unique from each other.

Check out some of these pages from SkyscraperPage.

CHICAGO | Chicago Spire | 2,000 FT / 610 M | 150 FLOORS | NO OBS DECK SO DON'T ASK - SkyscraperPage Forum

CHICAGO | Trump Tower | 1,362' Official / 1,171' Roof | 96 FLOORS v3 - SkyscraperPage Forum

CHICAGO | Waterview Tower | 1,047' Official / 1,035' Roof | 89 FLOORS - SkyscraperPage Forum

CHICAGO | Aqua | 822 FT / 251 M | 83 FLOORS - SkyscraperPage Forum

CHICAGO | The Elysian | 686 FT / 209 M | 60 FLOORS - SkyscraperPage Forum

CHICAGO | Legacy at Millennium Park | 819 FT / 250 M | 73 FLOORS - SkyscraperPage Forum

Also, Waldorf-Astoria - SkyscraperPage.com

Chicago currently has four supertalls (over 1,000 ft) under construction!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:12 AM

4,382 posts, read 15,337,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisboy View Post
Sooner or later, they will eventually build up the area surrounding the Spire and put taller building there so it dosen't look so funny. That picture is pretty old, too. There are several buildings in that picture that have been completed for a long time now. (for example, the two buildings next to the Aon Center)

Chicago currently has four supertalls (over 1,000 ft) under construction!
I know of The Spire, Waterview, and trump, but whats the fourth?

what two are you referring to btw? the only building in that rendering that i know of that is under construction or drawn in the photo completed next to Aon center is 340 on the park. Aqua is still under construction, a little less than half way, and the BSBC building's expansion isn't even close to toping out.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:30 AM

The Waldorf-Astoria has recently been aproved to be built, and it will be 1,200 feet tall, and be 107 stories tall. Here is the Wikipedia page.

The Blue Cross Blue Shield building (the first one to the right of the Aon) is currently in the process of adding 24 more floors to the top. In that picture, construction had not even started yet, but now they are around the 8th floor. The condos next to that had been completed for a while now. (In the picture it looks like they were half way done)

Old BCBS building...

New BCBS building...

The Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and Residence Tower

Chicago has some pretty neat projects going up. I can't wait to see them in person!
Attached Thumbnails
Are New York and Chicago becoming America's most Futuristic Cities?-bcbs.jpg   Are New York and Chicago becoming America's most Futuristic Cities?-bcbs2.jpg   Are New York and Chicago becoming America's most Futuristic Cities?-w-h-r-t.jpg  

Old 06-25-2008, 10:40 AM

^^ No, i knew about the Waldorf=Astoria (its actually an equal sign in between) project. But you incorrectly stated it was under construction. its approved, which doesn't mean under construction. And you also said there were 2 buildings next to the Aon. I already mentioned BCBC vertical expansion. so whats the next one?

Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
^^ No, i knew about the Waldorf=Astoria (its actually an equal sign in between) project. But you incorrectly stated it was under construction. its approved, which doesn't mean under construction. And you also said there were 2 buildings next to the Aon. I already mentioned BCBC vertical expansion. so whats the next one?
Oh, you did? Sorry. I must have read over that. I guess theres not four supertalls under construction, but they have been aproved, which is just as exciting. It is only a matter of time until they break ground.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:49 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,407,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The renderings of those buildings are pretty bad, but where could the spire be placed that would be better than its current location? Have you driven past the location in person yet?

The spire is being built right smack in the center of the skyline. You'll have the Hancock and Sears holding up the outsides, while the Trump and Spire support the middle.
Yeah, I've gone past the location. I just wish they had enough room to move it a little further back from LSD so that there would be some green space.

Quote:

I don't think we're goning to end up looking like Dubai at all. We have many projects going on right now, but they are still very unique from each other.
With all the project Chicago constantly has lined up you have to be right about the new buildings filling in the skyline. I still think that after the Aqua building is complete it will look like it's meant for Miami.

As for the proposed buildings, I like most of them other than Aqua and The Elysian which I'm not sure what to think.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Oh, you did? Sorry. I must have read over that. I guess theres not four supertalls under construction, but they have been aproved, which is just as exciting. It is only a matter of time until they break ground.
True True!!! Chicago will be amazing! The Waldorf=Astoria is one of my favorite projects! Trump looks amazing! I can't wait till Waterview resumes construction in July Beacuse that's simply a classy project. and The Spire!! i can't wait till we see it rise! The skyline will just be incredible!

Old 06-25-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:

With all the project Chicago constantly has lined up you have to be right about the new buildings filling in the skyline. I still think that after the Aqua building is complete it will look like it's meant for Miami.

As for the proposed buildings, I like most of them other than Aqua and The Elysian which I'm not sure what to think.
Both Aqua and The Elysian are under construction

Aqua

By I_am_hydrogen at skyscrapercity.com

The Elysian

By I_am_hydrogen at skyscrapercity.com

Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Yep, I understand what you're saying. Aqua does look like it would look better in a place like Miami, but it is different than anything else we've seen, so it should be interesting...

As for The Elysian, I think it will look OK. It's nice to see something other than all these modern-looking buildings being developed. It looks more like it was built 100 years ago, so it should fit in fine with many of our buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or