Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,472 times

Advertisements

Important to note that while big cities are more diverse they are also more segregated. In the south for example you will find blacks and whites living amongst each other it is common place to have a black land owner and a white land owner living in their double wides side by side. Where as in major cities they are all segregated by race/ethnicity so one can make the case that rural areas are more diverse. Also there are more blacks in the south than the north, the north just has more of an international flavor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 08:33 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Important to note that while big cities are more diverse they are also more segregated. In the south for example you will find blacks and whites living amongst each other it is common place to have a black land owner and a white land owner living in their double wides side by side. Where as in major cities they are all segregated by race/ethnicity so one can make the case that rural areas are more diverse. Also there are more blacks in the south than the north, the north just has more of an international flavor.
It depends on the neighborhood and rural area as well. It isn't odd to find some neighborhoods in some of the cities mentioned where there is no predominant group and there is a substantial amount of multiple groups as well.

Even in the South, there are rural areas that are homogeneous or are overwhelmingly of one group.

As a specific area in regards to the thread, this area of Syracuse fits for sure: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY It is where you can find refugees from SE and South Asia, East and West Africa and the Middle East, some old/die hard Italians, Germans, Irish, along with African Americans and Hispanics. There are tracts where there isn't a predominant group on this side of town and you can find a range of places of worship, as well as some restaurants/markets(Asian, Middle Eastern, Italian, etc.). This neighborhood has also seen some gentrification from some in the local LGBTQ community: Hawley-Green Neighbors
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawley...toric_District

More: City of Syracuse -> TNT Tomorrow's Neighborhoods Today

https://youtu.be/o0Zm8Z8ZffA

It also has a range of neighborhoods from lower income to upper middle class.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-03-2017 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 08:52 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Minneapolis-Saint Paul.

Saint Paul is 15% Asian, many are Hmong.
I know it’s not fair, but I tend to discount the diversity of cities that achieved diversity through refugee resettlement.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:16 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Most people know that Orlando has a large Black and Hispanic population. Now, the metro to the west of there though, people are surprised it has sizable black population and that's Tampa Bay. I remember when I lived in Miami, people thought Tampa was redneck city with barely any Black people. A visit there shows that is not true.

Sounds like Nashville, seems like that's what every one expects of Nashville, to be mostly all white until they take a visit or trip there to show that definitely not true!!

Old 10-03-2017, 11:18 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Isn't SA majority Hispanic? I'm pretty sure nobody thinks it's lily white.

I have always expected San Antonio to be Majority Hispanic.. No surprise there

Old 10-03-2017, 01:11 PM

343 posts, read 306,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I have always expected San Antonio to be Majority Hispanic.. No surprise there
I didn't think people outside of the area were aware of this.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Of all the places that surprised me on how diverse they were, the main one is Garden City, KS. The Hispanic, Asian, and black communities are very visible.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Of all the places that surprised me on how diverse they were, the main one is Garden City, KS. The Hispanic, Asian, and black communities are very visible.
I guess Liberal a little further south is similar in terms of demographics.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
What are some Major US Cities that have high numbers of Blacks, Hispanics, and Foreign born or Immigrant Populations/ High level diversity that you would never expect? We all expect our New York's, Chicago's and Miami's to run high numbers. What are some US cities over 100,000 that would provide this Culture Shock, "Diversity" that you would least expect?
Any college university city that is also a smaller major city would fit that bill......

Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I didn't know that and the city is already about 35% Black as well. It likely already had a visible Puerto Rican population, as the city is about 22% Hispanic/Latino(2014 info). From 2010: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3659641 It appears that about 10% of its residents are Mexican and 5% are PR, according to 2014 info.

Newburgh is a smaller city that is similar, as 19% of its residents are of Mexican descent and 10% are of PR descent: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3650034

Same with Middletown, where 13% of its residents are Mexican and about the same percentage are of PR descent: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3647042

The thing with that Dutchess and Orange counties area(formerly the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area), it was one of the most integrated top 100 metros before it was gobbled up into the NYC metro area. So, you can find visible to high percentages of Black and Hispanic folks throughout that area and both groups had/have median household incomes in the mid to high 50,000's in that area. Hence, why it had the smallest per capita income gap between Whites and those groups, with Asians actually having an even high PCI in the area. It also has rail service into NYC, as some in that area commute to the city.

Another city in that area: https://s4.ad.brown.edu/projects/div...cityid=3605100
I think there might also be a sizable Mexican population in rural Ulster and Dutchess counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.