U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 AM

2,134 posts, read 1,428,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Its historical high was around 110,000 prior to suburbanization, and it still has those bones. While the metro area solely focused on Wilmington is around ~750,000, the city proper took a huge hit down to 72,000. Philadelphia's massive size and pull means the city could never be a truly major city, but it could've been akin to Providence in size and stature.
So True, I think it being so close to Philly, will always keep it in that Satellite City image Unfortunately. It's amazing how much the Suburban area has grown down towards Dover on Route 1 over the years. I still think Delaware needs Commuter rail from Rehoboth Beach up to Wilmington even though it may never happen, still kinda think it would be a Great addition. Never the less, Delaware will always be my 2nd Home and have that special place in my heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 09:40 AM

5,869 posts, read 6,528,109 times
If you could pick Madison up (lakes included) and place it in the Sun Belt, its pooupulatuon would well exceed a million.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,456,237 times
Richmond, Va.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:56 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
I think Corpus Christi, TX has the potential to be a bigger city if they can manage to attract more industry in the future

Old 09-25-2017, 11:45 AM

23,067 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Galveston, Texas was THE city in Texas, prior to the 1900 hurricane (still the deadliest natural disaster in US history). It never recovered after that and is now in Houston's orbit.
That was the first one that came to mind. It was also one of the top ports in the country.

Decatur, GA turned down the opportunity to become the southeastern hub for the Western and Atlantic Railroad in order to provide a link between the port of Savannah and the Midwest. So they created Atlanta instead. The rest is history.

Into the early 1900s, Darien, GA was one of the largest Southeastern ports for shipping lumber. When the timber was depleted, Darien became a fishing village, known primarily for Georgia wild shrimp. At one point, the local bank was the largest south of Charleston on the Eastern Seaboard.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:49 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
Charleston. It was once the 4th largest city in the country, but it mostly missed out on the booming industrial textile and agriculture industry that inland cities enjoyed. The city was hit hard by the Civil War and didn't fully recover. SC's racial political history held the state back as a whole, and a lack of focus on education and business investment didn't help.

Atlanta has GT and Emory. Raleigh Durham NC State, UNC, and Duke. Houston has Rice. Nashville has Vanderbilt. Charleston has great schools, but they're just not at that top tier level like Duke or GT that add so much to the metro. There isn't much HQ or office and lab presence either.

I think Charleston is a fine size, though I wish the metro was at least over 1 million and there was more office and lab presence and less old money.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:59 AM

296 posts, read 137,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv007 View Post
Philly could have become a much greater city both in actuality and reputation without New York hovering overhead. It's difficult to stand out with the world's greatest city less than 50 miles away.
If Philadelphia had remained the nation's capital, then it would have grown even larger than it is now. Maybe not as large as NYC or LA, but certainly rivaling Chicago.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,369,908 times
I feel like Buffalo was a city that was poised to grow very large, it's still large, but if you went back 60-100 years the city seemed like it was going to be quite the metropolis at the rate it was growing and with the waterways and transport network.

Another would be Cairo, Illinois. It boomed up to 15,000 people with steamboat travel and activity along the Mississippi. With the abandonment of steamboats and passenger shipping, the building of bridges, etc - the city shriveled away to barely a few thousand very impoverished people.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:27 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
Quote:
Galveston, Texas was THE city in Texas, prior to the 1900 hurricane (still the deadliest natural disaster in US history). It never recovered after that and is now in Houston's orbit.
People always say this about Galveston, but I mean, there's no way Galveston would have crammed Houston amounts of people onto the island. Houston was already larger than Galveston in 1900 and I feel like its inevitable that Houston would leave Galveston in the dust at some point, regardless of hurricane, for the simple fact of having no boundaries.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:02 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,279,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
People always say this about Galveston, but I mean, there's no way Galveston would have crammed Houston amounts of people onto the island.
There are two ways Galveston can handle that cramming:

- More high-rises/skyscrapers

- Expansion of city jurisdiction to a portion of the adjacent mainland. Similar to NYC with Manhattan or Long Island, or Florainopolis in Brazil:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florian%C3%B3polis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Houston was already larger than Galveston in 1900 and I feel like its inevitable that Houston would leave Galveston in the dust at some point, regardless of hurricane, for the simple fact of having no boundaries.
Houston very well was passing Galveston, but there is no doubt that the population disparity between the two would have been more equalized today had it not been for the hurricane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think Corpus Christi, TX has the potential to be a bigger city if they can manage to attract more industry in the future
What reasons in particular do you have for this (just curious).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or