U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 11:14 AM

3,220 posts, read 1,553,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Those are virtually indistinguishable from NYC's housing projects, so, yes.

Greenpoint is really ugly, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7262...7i13312!8i6656

If you showed this streetview to anyone unfamiliar with the area, people would be shocked to learn, this is one of the most desirable areas for young people.
Well its not Brownstones or highly sought after tenements with exterior decorative facades.... I get that.

But OMG try pulling up a row-housing block in a common Philly average neighborhood (in the Philly forum) and say something similar? They would label you as a Hater and that T__ll word label. IMO..... You may be surprised at the tight row-home neighborhoods like this or with less green ..... are gentrifying outside of Center City Philly. But these look as them to me.

I still personally ..... don't see that block as anywhere near ..... ghettoish though, or a declined looking and streets look clean? Even though, Philly common row-blocks (outside of its core mainly and non-Colonial) of a tight wall-effect row-homes .... are far from my favorite. This block in NYC reminded me of Philly (that side of the street)

Then ACROSS from your street-view section? Is with a bit of a setback for green-space and tree-lined as that helps much to add to the block IMO.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7266...7i13312!8i6656

So if in Philly? I'd give it a favorable neighborhood rating there (I understand if high it crime, the bad area stigma could still stand). It just has average rows, but NOT run-down or gritty (again to me in opinion) and clean.

I dislike it most .... when rows are with NO frontage, or very little in greens or at least trees, and tight SAME STYLES making a Solid Wall. But this block is with many differing varieties (or just added exterior features) that gives it diversity and variety of housing. Just that is still all attached.

I'm not in or from Philly. But the hate ..... I or anyone would get if it was said that row-housing isn't your favorite housing ( again, in their forums especially) fagetaboutit ? Especially in a city that is 65% row-homes + more attached double-homes. This NYC BLOCK Looks fine to me overall on a scale vs many others I've seen as average.

Few here will defend Philly hoods as looking great (for a reason). Even changing gentrifying areas there extending into what were declined hood areas.... take years till all blight is gone sometimes (as the city did not really clear out blight like some others).

Chicago cleared out its worst bight in the 90s thru the past decade. That helps it having less of the worst looking (in my opinion) Ghetto's and poor neighborhoods today .... and city street-sweeping's help plus alleyways to hide trash. Unlike Philly, that has no street-sweeping outside of its core (there by a private firms paid by businesses ). So Philly suffers on that too in more debris it gets labeled for.

Last edited by DavePa; 09-26-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 11:19 AM

7,705 posts, read 4,566,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
OMG try pulling up a row-housing block in a common Philly average neighborhood (in the Philly forum) and say something similar? They would label you as a Hater and that T__ll word label.

I still personally ..... don't see that block as anywhere near ..... ghettoish though, or a declined looking and streets look clean? Even though, Philly common row-blocks (outside of its core mainly and non-Colonial) of a tight wall-effect row-homes .... are far from my favorite. This block in NYC reminded me of Philly (that side of the street)

Then ACROSS from your street-view section? Is with a bit of a setback for green-space and tree-lined as that helps much to add to the block IMO. So if in Philly? I'd give it a favorable neighborhood rating there (I understand if high it crime, the bad area stigma could still stand). It just has average rows, but NOT run-down or gritty (again to me in opinion).

I dislike it most .... when rows are with NO frontage, or very little in greens or at least trees, and tight SAME STYLES making a Solid Wall. But this block is with many differing varieties (or just added exterior features) that gives it diversity and variety of housing. Just that is still all attached.

I'm not in or from Philly. But the hate ..... I or anyone would get if it was said that row-housing isn't your favorite housing ( again, in their forums especially) fagetaboutit ? Especially in a city that is 65% row-homes + more attached double-homes. This NYC BLOCK Looks fine to me overall on a scale vs many others I've seen as average.

Few here will defend Philly hoods as looking great (for a reason). Even changing gentrifying areas there extending into what were declined hood areas.... take years till all blight is gone sometimes (as the city did not really clear out blight like some others).

Chicago cleared out its worst bight in the 90s thru the past decade. That helps it having less of the worst looking (in my opinion) Ghetto's and poor neighborhoods today .... and city street-sweeping's help plus alleyways to hide trash. Unlike Philly, that has no street-sweeping outside of its core (there by a private firms paid by businesses ). So Philly suffers on that too in more debris it gets labeled for.
I generally like row houses, but typically not frame row houses with siding. My dream home is a New York brownstone or Chicago Greystone.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I generally like row houses, but typically not frame row houses with siding. My dream home is a New York brownstone or Chicago Greystone.
Yeah I can certainly agree...

Knowing row home cities though. That street-view block looks darn good compared to many I've seen in a certain city even all gentrified. They generally remove siding and paint .... but still basic rows on the outside.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 AM

1,036 posts, read 520,485 times
I have to give it to Xenia, Ohio. It has the most beautiful little Victorian row houses and bungalows hiding a heavy drug trade and all the accompanying blight.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:31 AM

1,954 posts, read 1,945,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Interesting link of Chicago's WORST HOODS by crime and income. Some are part of its bungalow-belt too where all have a front-lawns.

Also with the city having removed the worst blight in the 90s. Most hoods do not look too bad at all. They receive at least bi-monthly street-sweeping and 90% of the city has alleyways behind homes to hide trash better. But it left some areas with grass lots and even blocks ..... returned to prairie till new infill in renewal can come. Also its power-lines grid runs down the alleys, freeing them from those ugly poles in front of homes in some cities that can ruin a nice home.
I wouldn't say Chicago's hoods or their houses look that good. They look worse than former middle class or even upper middle class neighborhoods in Detroit that declined into hoods when the city declined. They don't exactly look third world either like some hoods in the south but there are much better looking hoods out there than Chicago's hoods.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I wouldn't say Chicago's hoods or their houses look that good. They look worse than former middle class or even upper middle class neighborhoods in Detroit that declined into hoods when the city declined. They don't exactly look third world either like some hoods in the south but there are much better looking hoods out there than Chicago's hoods.
With our history of me not agreeing with you on your love/interest in American de-industrial areas and ghetto's...... even trying to interject western NY and city Buffalo's and Detroit into Canadian forums to gain negative American comments. They generally saw intent and more defending their American neighbors overall, when another tries to portray the US negatively more.

I choose not to reply anymore to your interest from afar in Germany that ends being negative toward the US in general. You surely can enjoy continued viewing US street-views of inner-city ghetto neighborhoods and rusting old industrial sights also.

Perhaps another will reply on post on which US ghetto's might look a bit better. I'm sure by street-views ..... you know southern and northern multiple cities? Better then me. I gave my Chicago ghetto neighborhood comments and youtube link already.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:08 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
I think Philly's are just gorgeous, don't you?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9364...7i13312!8i6656

Old 09-26-2017, 03:09 PM

35 posts, read 28,954 times
San Bernardino, California.

You have some of the most ghetto people on Earth living next to the most sceneic mountains in the Greater LA area with Palm Trees taller than even those in Beverly Hills

Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,456,217 times
The "tumbled-down structures almost covered with over grown trees and vines throughout many struggling southern urban neighborhoods DO look semi-rural in a "Tobacco Road" way. They also look MUCH better than crumbling tenements amidst littered concrete jungles covered with graffiti IN MY OPINION. I REALLY do feel blessed to live in an area that you can go to the most economically depressed and down trodden community and STILL find something GREEN growing. Concrete jungles with NO visible nature are soul crushing in my opinion.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:57 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,584,119 times
Quote:
Those are virtually indistinguishable from NYC's housing projects, so, yes.

Greenpoint is really ugly, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7262...7i13312!8i6656

If you showed this streetview to anyone unfamiliar with the area, people would be shocked to learn, this is one of the most desirable areas for young people.

The projects IMO are well built and not ugly. The ugliest parts of NYC imo are the ones dominated with ugly 2 family houses, like you find in much of Southeast Queens.

And 3 story buildings with vinyl siding are ugly too, like the ones found in Sunset Park and Bushwick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or