U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:15 PM

9,055 posts, read 4,127,366 times

Advertisements

Portland, Seattle, Denver, Austin, or the Bay Area all fit your criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 05:27 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,228,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Like any city there are good and bad areas. The OP could afford a perfectly safe area on his budget. California is somewhat unique in how pervasive the homeless population is. In LA in particular many areas are truly block by block, from really nice areas to drug infested cesspools. And even the crappy and unsafe areas are expensive. I'd also note that was just one of many factors that he mentioned.
The block by block thing can be said about a lot of major cities though. I could imagine the homeless situation being worse in LA than in Atlanta as it's pretty bad in most West Coast cities, but Atlanta currently has something like 4 or 5x LA's homicide rate. It's more comparable to Chicago than it is LA in that regard, and it was frankly higher than Chicago's up until 2016.

You are right though that his budget would make a lot of difference. If that's what he was paying in LA, then that would indeed go a lot further in Atlanta.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:17 AM

13,421 posts, read 16,973,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The OP is concerned about crime in Los Angeles and people are suggesting Atlanta?
... says someone from Chicago

Old 09-28-2017, 01:53 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,388,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
... says someone from Chicago
What about that person's location makes their comment false? Hell Atlanta always had higher homicide rates than Chicago until Chicago's fairly unique spike during 2016.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:45 PM

1,567 posts, read 749,380 times
One reason why Atlanta often doesn't look so great regarding crime statistics is that the city limits are a very small part of the metro area, as around 90% of the population is in the suburbs. The crime rate is also based on the residential population, but Atlanta has a large influx of workers and visitors on a daily basis who live outside the city. Crime is not especially pervasive outside of certain specific areas.

As far as the weather, summers are moderately warm and humid for a few months with occasional heat waves and some milder periods as well. Outdoor activities are more impacted by the weather on some days than others, but this part of the South has one of the most moderate climates in the eastern two-thirds of the country. I've lived in southern California previously and don't miss the excessive concrete, brown natural scenery, congestion and high cost of living at all.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:01 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,373,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Portland, Seattle, Denver, Austin, or the Bay Area all fit your criteria.
Um Bay Area with a dog is out on that budget unless he wants roomies or to live alone in Tracy.

I was a bit confused because he thought Seattle and Portland would be a good fit but doesn't like endless rainy days. Seattle and Portland are damp and rainy at least six months out of the year.

Austin is an okay suggestion but he doesn't like endless heat.

Denver - okay but Denver does get bitterly cold. 50 degrees one day next day 5 degrees. Snow melts fast but Denver gets over 50 inches a year.

I'm not sure what he is looking for exists outside of California and Hawaii or very isolated climates in the Southeast.

Maybe Sacramento or Reno because while it's hot "it's a dry heat." Otherwise he will need to relax the weather expectations.

Last edited by Bluefox; 09-28-2017 at 11:14 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 AM

1,521 posts, read 684,541 times
Default Denver, perhaps?

The Bay Area has become horrifically expensive, as you probably know already... I've been in my SF apartment for many years, so the rent is "only" $1,300, thanks to rent control. A new tenant would pay about $4,000 (for a studio!).

I don't know what the housing situation is like, but Denver might meet your requirement for an active gay community. And a guy I used to know here in SF moved to Albuquerque and, at last report, loved it there... he said it was much friendlier than SF. But I'm guessing the nightlife would seem small-townish compared to LA, or even Denver.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Um Bay Area with a dog is out on that budget unless he wants roomies or to live alone in Tracy.

I was a bit confused because he thought Seattle and Portland would be a good fit but doesn't like endless rainy days. Seattle and Portland are damp and rainy at least six months out of the year.

Austin is an okay suggestion but he doesn't like endless heat.

Denver - okay but Denver does get bitterly cold. 50 degrees one day next day 5 degrees. Snow melts fast but Denver gets over 50 inches a year.

I'm not sure what he is looking for exists outside of California and Hawaii or very isolated climates in the Southeast.

Maybe Sacramento or Reno because while it's hot "it's a dry heat." Otherwise he will need to relax the weather expectations.
Ignore Bawac. He spouts off the same list of cities like a robot, regardless of the OP's criteria.

e.g. OP prefers low COL

Bawac -- San Fran!

Old 09-29-2017, 10:32 AM

1,562 posts, read 2,396,261 times
To the OP

Your list should include:

Denver- They do have some weather extremes but it's a fair trade with the mountains so close. It is getting pricey unfortunately.

Atlanta- A well rounded city and the northern burbs are gorgeous. Summers are a tad humid and warm but it's not unbearable. and hey more pool parties.

Charlotte and Raleigh NC- These two up and coming cities have all the good things cities offer and not a lot of the bad. Not too much concrete and crime. Especially Raleigh it's hella safe. Mountains and Beach quite close.

Richmond, VA- Not my favorite city just because I don't like Virginia's old fashioned politics. However. This city hits all the nails on the head minus maybe the gay scene?

Sacramento- Near perfect?

San Diego- Near perfect? but pricey.

Minneapolis/St. Paul- Horrid winters but otherwise a great choice.

Pittsburgh- See Minneapolis.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:29 PM

540 posts, read 261,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Tap the brakes. Here are the average monthly highs and lows for the coldest three months of the year for Denver and Anchorage. Which is which?

A) 23.8/13.3, 22.7/11.8, 27.1/14.0
B) 42.8/17.1, 44.0/17.9, 46.2/18.9...
i bet Anchorage has a huge gay scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.