U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2017, 06:38 AM

773 posts, read 839,981 times

Advertisements

Sure, we've had political spectrum comparisons between cities themselves along with states, but for some reason, I can't find anything regarding city neighborhoods/wards/community board areas, and almost every city has such sections. Of course, there are different brands of each (liberatarian vs. far left vs. union liberal for instance), but what's a general idea in your city with regards to what neighborhoods are politically speaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 07:36 AM

593 posts, read 495,610 times
The west side of Cincinnati is more conservative than the rest of the city. The further west you the more conservative. Trump actually won the neighborhoods of Sayler Park and Riverside. Impressive, considering the city as whole voted as a whole 80+% for Hillary. Wealthier east side neighborhoods of Hyde Park, Mt Lookout and Columbia-Tusc are more moderate. The rest of the city is pretty much liberal, with hyper-liberal residents living in Clifton and Northside especially.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:06 AM

742 posts, read 719,655 times
I live in a precinct in central Oklahoma City that voted about 70% for Hillary, and after living here for over 2 years, I have found it to be quite liberal.

2016 Presidential election map:

Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,343,100 times
In NYC, the Bronx and Manhattan overall, are heavily Democratic and politically liberal. But each borough does have a small subset of socially conservative voters (generally a dwindling number of old-line white ethnics or minorities who attend theologically conservative churches -- like COGIC, e.g.). There are also the more affluent "Country Club" Republicans on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and parts of Riverdale. But they tend to be socially liberal.

Brooklyn is also mainly Democratic and liberal. But Borough Park, parts of Crown Heights, and some other areas with big ultra-orthodox Jewish populations usually vote Republican and are both socially and politically conservative. Historically, south Brooklyn neighborhoods like Bay Ridge and Fort Hamilton, though not Jewish, have also been very Republican and relatively conservative white ethnic neighborhoods, though that may be changing a bit with a new influx of non-European immigrants.

Staten Island,overall, is very Republican and conservative. The heavily Italian-American south part of the smallest borough generally provides enough sure Republican votes to negate the more Democratic areas near the Ferry and North Shore.

Queens votes Democratic on the whole, though it has notable pockets of Republican voters in some affluent neighborhoods that are near the Nassau Country border like Douglaston and Jamaica Estates, and Middle Village, a conservative white ethnic area in central Queens. (Queens has so many neighborhoods, however, and I only know a few.) Socially, however, Queens is a real mixed bag. While most voters there are pretty live and let live in my experience, depending on the neighborhood you can find a wide variety of opinion on hot-button racial, sexual, and social issues. Which is what you might expect in the most diverse county in the U.S.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:17 PM

204 posts, read 162,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Sure, we've had political spectrum comparisons between cities themselves along with states, but for some reason, I can't find anything regarding city neighborhoods/wards/community board areas, and almost every city has such sections. Of course, there are different brands of each (liberatarian vs. far left vs. union liberal for instance), but what's a general idea in your city with regards to what neighborhoods are politically speaking?
Speaking only for Jackson (MS) in the city proper, the city is a democrat stronghold in a county that voted 71% for Hilary Clinton in the 2016 election.

Generally, the South and West sides of Jackson (Everywhere west of the Canadian National (formerly Mississippi Central) railway that runs north to south through the city and south of Fortification Street (an east-west street in Central Jackson) is almost solidly democrat, with certain exceptions throughout that area of the city. Most people also vote democrat between the CN Railroad and State Street (AKA U.S. Highway 51), a North-South Street in Jackson.

East of North State Street and West of I-55, in what is considered to be Central Jackson, are two rather moderate areas, Fondren and Belhaven. With the exception of the Woodland Hills (Woodland Hills Being everywhere from Lakeland Drive to Meadowbrook Road between I-55 and Old Canton Road) and North Fondren areas (North Fondren being everywhere North of Duling Ave. and South of Meadowbrook Road and between Old Canton Road and State Street), Everywhere in Fondren is very moderate or democrat and everywhere in Belhaven is mixed.

Fondren would be defined as being everywhere between I-55 and the CN (formerly Mississippi Central) railway and between Woodrow Wilson Drive (AKA Alt. U.S. Highway 49) and Northside Drive. Belhaven would be everywhere between I-55 and State Street and between Fortification Street and Woodrow Wilson. Between State Street, the CN railroad, Woodrow Wilson, and Fortification street is the Midtown neighborhood, which votes almost solidly democrat, with some exceptions.

Areas of Fondren that are North of Meadowbrook Road usually have voters that vote overwhelmingly democrat, with exceptions.

North of Northside Drive and South of County Line Road(City Limits shared with Ridgeland) and between the Illinois Central Railroad and I-55 are solidly very democrat, with exceptions.

In Northeast Jackson, North of Lakeland Drive and East of I-55, it really depends on the specific neighborhood, but, as a generalization Northeast Jackson, in the majority of neighborhoods, votes mostly republican, with exceptions.

Many Neighborhoods north of Canton Mart Road/Old Canton Road in NE Jackson and around areas that were originally built more towards a middle class clientelle and now have areas with more renters tend to vote more democrat, but with moderates, republicans and libertarians mixed in there somewhat.

The most exclusive areas in Jackson usually tend to vote republican or libertarian, but mostly republican, and most are either conservative or moderate or conservative moderate. Usually not very liberal. Exceptions to that would be transients from more democrat areas or elitists who went to leftist, non-christian liberal arts or Ivy League colleges, especially the ones that are significantly richer than everyone else and are members of Mainline Protestant denominations and churches, such as Episcopalian, Disciples of Christ (not Churches of Christ), United Methodist, and Presbyterian Church USA (not EPC or PCA, which are conservative Presbyterian Denominations.)

It all really depends on the person, in the end, and their background, and their own experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or