Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 02:03 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I don't know why but I just cant seem to get it out of my mind but I just see DC and B-More area as one huge Metropolis.. As much as I try to separate the two... Baltimore being the more Dirtier, Industrial side of the Two and DC being Federal Govt. offices, etc. Everything else to me is just suburbia in between the two in Virginia and Maryland... Don't even mention the Traffic, its a beast driving through the DMV every time I go up that way... I just cant separate them, but again, that's just me...
What areas are you considering the DMV? Not the Baltimore area I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 02:05 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,550,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
That's what I mean. Some people on this site from the "DC MSA" like to go by CSA, likely because they feel it makes their home seem more important. But then you have people in Baltimore who argue otherwise.
Please provide examples and who does this?

DC by economy and by population is the 2nd largest MSA on the East Coast and 3rd largest East of the Mississippi, even with a cutoff to it's MSA on it's northern and eastern edges 18-20 miles from the city line.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know why but I just cant seem to get it out of my mind but I just see DC and B-More area as one huge Metropolis.. As much as I try to separate the two... Baltimore being the more Dirtier, Industrial side of the Two and DC being Federal Govt. offices, etc. Everything else to me is just suburbia in between the two in Virginia and Maryland... Don't even mention the Traffic, its a beast driving through the DMV every time I go up that way... I just cant separate them, but again, that's just me...
The majority of out of towners and non C-D posters see this. Although there is still much that can be distinct about both parts of the CSA that will not change. It's really us locals, who notice the differences that much more.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:09 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I bet, always that way when you do... Same can be said about say City of Chicago vs. Suburbs and say NY/Long Island and Burbs... Or on the flip side of that Miami-Dade all the way up to West Palm Beach.. Driving through feels like one big urban-suburban glob while locals have a totally different mind frame, different set of rules and in many cases see them as Totally different area's all together and some times in there minds seems like different regions as if the other cities are the plague.
I can definitely make the distinction between NYC and its 'burbs. The locals will definitely remind you if nothing else, and that huge separation between Jersey and NYC known as the Hudson River helps too.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:15 PM

1,021 posts, read 909,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I know Richmond very well, and I have to say it’s complicated. You can make a reasonable argument that all of Henrico County is part of Richmond. I don’t think all of Chesterfield County is Richmond, very little of Hanover would qualify, and NOTHING outside of those counties.
I agree. Parts of Chesterfield can definitely be associated more with Petersburg, Colonial Heights and Hopewell than with Richmond, for example: Matoaca, Ettrick, Woods Edge ect. There are also areas that are literally just Chesterfield, like Centralia. On the flip side, "North Chesterfield" is literally just an extension of South Richmond.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Please provide examples and who does this?

DC by economy and by population is the 2nd largest MSA on the East Coast and 3rd largest East of the Mississippi, even with a cutoff to it's MSA on it's northern and eastern edges 18-20 miles from the city line.

You.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:22 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
The majority of out of towners and non C-D posters see this. Although there is still much that can be distinct about both parts of the CSA that will not change. It's really us locals, who notice the differences that much more.
Even before I moved here, I saw both metro areas as distinct. I do not consider DC/Baltimore to be one entity in the same way as the Bay Area or the NC Triangle and never have.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post

You.
How so?

Proof...

Old 09-26-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Even before I moved here, I saw both metro areas as distinct. I do not consider DC/Baltimore to be one entity in the same way as the Bay Area or the NC Triangle and never have.
Yea most people that are familiar with the area do, but I've heard NY'ers and people from other places that like to lump them into being the same, and have to step in and correct them on it.

Someone from DC will get hot real fast if you liken them to being from Baltimore, lol. And vice versa.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
How so?

Proof...
How many do you want? Shall I start off with, let's say, five for now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.