U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 AM
 
84 posts, read 73,023 times
Reputation: 100

Advertisements

Thank you all so very much for your kind and thoughtful responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2017, 07:46 AM
 
21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Reputation: 19635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
Ok I am guessing OP stands for , original poster??

My ideal place:
Medium sized town
All 4 seasons, including snow
Lots of parks and trails
Newish schools and housing
Not too ultra conservative(i respect all views, these just are not mine)
An active culture(runners, mtn bikers, or just all around active people)
Not a large retirement community(where i am now in fl, going out to dinner is like visiting a nursing home)
Not insane housing prices like SF
And anything not similar to Florida
Fort Collins CO fulfills all of that.
https://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
5,616 posts, read 3,946,923 times
Reputation: 7917
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Agreed when I lived in Chicago area people just stayed inside and complained. Kids hardly went outside sledding. Very few people seemed to enjoy winter.

Back now in the Twin Cities - we have ice castles and winter festivals and pond hockey tournaments and ice fishing and cross country skiing and all the lakes are used for ice skating etc... sled hills are packed, people bike all winter long. It's just a different vibe.
Uhhh, not sure where you lived, but in the Chicago suburbs we all sled on the hills, went to the Kris Kringle Markets, ice sculpture carvings, etc. We even did the horse-drawn sleigh rides a few times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 09:43 AM
 
1,291 posts, read 1,126,863 times
Reputation: 2153
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Uhhh, not sure where you lived, but in the Chicago suburbs we all sled on the hills, went to the Kris Kringle Markets, ice sculpture carvings, etc. We even did the horse-drawn sleigh rides a few times.
Sure, most of that is entertainment built to attract crowds. I saw much less outdoor recreation/sport in the Chicago burbs. My wife grew up there and only remembers sledding. Very little ice skating. No one ice skated (unless going down to Millennium Park or indoor rinks).

In general the TCs have a much higher outdoor/sporting participation. It's just more culturally important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
760 posts, read 590,462 times
Reputation: 1482
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Sure, most of that is entertainment built to attract crowds. I saw much less outdoor recreation/sport in the Chicago burbs. My wife grew up there and only remembers sledding. Very little ice skating. No one ice skated (unless going down to Millennium Park or indoor rinks).

In general the TCs have a much higher outdoor/sporting participation. It's just more culturally important.
Totally agree.

Of course every city has stuff going on in the winter, but it's a completely different league up in the Twin Cities. It was completely normal for your groups of friends to play broom ball, pond hockey, and attendant all the winter festivals. My co workers and I once did bike bar crawl on a below zero day just for fun...I would NEVER be able to get my Chicago friends outside to do something on a cold day. We would always just take a taxi to a bar, and drink inside all day.

People in Minnesota also know how to dress properly for the cold weather. They more than likely have all the gear they need for most activity. Whenever I got my Chicago friends to go sledding, they would show up in a hoodie, jeans, thin cloth gloves, and plastic bags over their tennis shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM
 
56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fort Collins CO fulfills all of that.
https://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
Ironically and to be fair, Fort Collins HS was mentioned in one of the Cross Country articles I posted earlier. I don't know its reputation academically in comparison, but it does appear to fit. Fort Collins Cross Country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 03:10 PM
 
56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh ok...Yes, Fayetteville-Manlius has a nationally ranked girls(and boys) Cross Country program and has been ranked #1 some years. It is also one of the "best" and most affluent school districts in Upstate NY. Very nice area with 2 walkable villages and the Towne Center at Fayetteville has some shopping/restaurants, as well as a very nice YMCA. East Area Family*|*YMCA of Greater Syracuse

Towne Center at Fayetteville | COR Development Company, LLC

You also have this art cinema in the village of Manlius: Home

You also have Green Lakes State Park within the school district: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/172

In terms of a housing development, perhaps look into the Mallards Landing area: Mallards Landing

https://www.coldwellbankerprime.com/...Heritage_Homes

https://www.coldwellbankerprime.com/...Heritage_Homes

Mallards Landing (Villas at)

I would seriously suggest this area given what you are looking for in terms of criteria and for your children athletically/academically. It is only minutes from hospitals and other medical facilities as well.

Also, that housing development is only minutes from this nice, quaint and walkable lakeside village: https://villageofcazenovia.com

If you have any questions, just ask...Also, here is some more information you may be interested in: The secret to F-M cross country's success: There is no secret - Syracuse.com

F-M girls cross country wins 10th national title - Story

https://www.today.com/news/high-scho...lessness-t6026

https://www.runnersworld.com/high-sc...-xc-domination (Saratoga Springs is north of Albany and is also a very good school district that is relatively quite affluent and is a nice, walkable small city not too far from the Adirondack Mountains. So, that could be another option.)
This is another place in the F-M area: Four Seasons Golf & Ski Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 AM
 
21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Reputation: 19635
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Unless there's another level involved with "piece of crap houses" I'm not aware of, a quick search of the I-25 corridor north of Denver up toward Fort Collins turned up over 200 four bedroom homes in the 500K-600K bracket that are either new construction or a couple years old.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...256_rect/8_zm/
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Fort Collins CO fulfills all of that.
https://www.fcgov.com/visitor/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Ironically and to be fair, Fort Collins HS was mentioned in one of the Cross Country articles I posted earlier. I don't know its reputation academically in comparison, but it does appear to fit. Fort Collins Cross Country
Not that ironic since I mentioned it well before your cross country link...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 AM
 
56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not that ironic since I mentioned it well before your cross country link...
I said that it is ironic, because of the Cross Country aspect that the OP mentioned later in the thread. It looks like they are looking for a good school with a good Cross country program, but it wasn't mentioned until after Fort Collins came up.


I'm not sure if they knew that Fort Collins High has a very good Cross Country program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM
 
56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Oh ok...Yes, Fayetteville-Manlius has a nationally ranked girls(and boys) Cross Country program and has been ranked #1 some years. It is also one of the "best" and most affluent school districts in Upstate NY. Very nice area with 2 walkable villages and the Towne Center at Fayetteville has some shopping/restaurants, as well as a very nice YMCA. East Area Family*|*YMCA of Greater Syracuse

Towne Center at Fayetteville | COR Development Company, LLC

You also have this art cinema in the village of Manlius: Home

You also have Green Lakes State Park within the school district: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/172

In terms of a housing development, perhaps look into the Mallards Landing area: Mallards Landing

https://www.coldwellbankerprime.com/...Heritage_Homes

https://www.coldwellbankerprime.com/...Heritage_Homes

Mallards Landing (Villas at)

I would seriously suggest this area given what you are looking for in terms of criteria and for your children athletically/academically. It is only minutes from hospitals and other medical facilities as well.

Also, that housing development is only minutes from this nice, quaint and walkable lakeside village: https://villageofcazenovia.com

If you have any questions, just ask...Also, here is some more information you may be interested in: The secret to F-M cross country's success: There is no secret - Syracuse.com

F-M girls cross country wins 10th national title - Story

https://www.today.com/news/high-scho...lessness-t6026

https://www.runnersworld.com/high-sc...-xc-domination (Saratoga Springs is north of Albany and is also a very good school district that is relatively quite affluent and is a nice, walkable small city not too far from the Adirondack Mountains. So, that could be another option.)
Here are street views of both of these villages, Fayetteville: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0297...7i13312!8i6656


https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0298...7i13312!8i6656


Village Of Fayetteville - News & Information


Manlius: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0014...7i13312!8i6656


Recreation | Manlius Village, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top