U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 03:59 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You don't get deliveries? No fire or police protection?

Roads predate the automobile by millennia. They are basic infrastructure. Yes they are enhanced for the automobile...but the automobile user pays a good part of the additional cost. Maybe all of it.

So there is actually no real evidence that the automobile receives a subsidy

The autonomous vehicles coming offer the opportunity to provide a vastly more flexible system with vastly greater capability. And well integratable into walkable neighborhood and such. All of a sudden you need vastly less parking space and most of it can be remote.

So we are on the edge of a monumental breakthrough and some of you want another useless trolley.
Oh brother. I barely trust human beings to know how to drive, and soon I'll have to try to trust machines which are prone to unpredictable system errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 01:10 AM

459 posts, read 341,012 times
Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) should be properly funded and maintained in every city with over 100,000 in population. It's less expensive and CAN BE highly efficient. Proper funding for Public Tranportation would help areas such as the "Black Belt" tremendously.

Most people enjoy money and will work for it. People shouldn't be unemployed because of the lack of transit options due to the fact that this country would rather fight wars for oil.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:03 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,001,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This is something that drives me nuts in these conversations in the UP forum. "Freedom" is synonymous with the automobile. I'm sorry, when did freedom require that you drop thousands of dollars as an entry fee to participate in access to jobs, groceries and other basic necessities? And why does freedom require me to pilot a hugely expensive, dangerous machine in complicated traffic both ways to work?

IMO, freedom includes walking out my door and having the option to drive, ride or walk to the things that I need to access in order to live life. Luckily I have "freedom" where I live now. But there aren't a lot of places like this in our country.
Most Americans prefer to drive and the fact that they are willing to pay more to drive is evidence of the value that they give to the ability to drive somewhere.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:07 PM

12,847 posts, read 4,860,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Oh brother. I barely trust human beings to know how to drive, and soon I'll have to try to trust machines which are prone to unpredictable system errors.
Not uncommon. Low visibility airplane landings are done only by machine as a for instance.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Most Americans prefer to drive and the fact that they are willing to pay more to drive is evidence of the value that they give to the ability to drive somewhere.
Most Americans born into and living in the 21st century have never experienced any sort of decent public transit, unlike the generation from the 1930s, 40s, and 50s when we boasted some of the largest and most technologically advanced public transit systems in the world (did you know that Detroit before 1950 boasted the largest urban tramway and streetcar system in North America?)

Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Streetcars were not popular, which is why they were replaced by buses. If streetcars were so popular, they would still exist.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:05 PM

977 posts, read 635,627 times
Quote:
Streetcars were not popular, which is why they were replaced by buses. If streetcars were so popular, they would still exist.
You also forgot to mention how the auto industry killed off streetcars at a faster rate as well. For your second part, they're slowly making a comeback/other transit systems are in the process of being built for cities.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:11 PM

"Killed off' in the sense that most people prefer to drive cars.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, have you been on an actual Light Rail System in a large metro area? Or ever been a frequent user of a well-maintained and well-functioning public transit system for your daily commutes, either in America or other parts of the world?

Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM

929 posts, read 844,064 times
a bendy bus is like a train but it gets stuck in traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or