U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2017, 03:33 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing people throw around the term "Legacy city". I'm wondering what a true legacy city is. Obviously NYC and Chicago are, I think Boston and Philadelphia would qualify, Detroit probably still would. What about Baltiomre, Cleveland and Pittsburgh . Heck for that matter what about D.C? I've always thought of legacy cities as being densely populated old cities in the N.E region of the U.S, with an impressive skyline and current or former industry. Obviously D.C doesn't meat some of those requirements but it sure gets treated like a legacy city on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:35 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I keep hearing people throw around the term "Legacy city". I'm wondering what a true legacy city is. Obviously NYC and Chicago are, I think Boston and Philadelphia would qualify, Detroit probably still would. What about Baltiomre, Cleveland and Pittsburgh . Heck for that matter what about D.C? I've always thought of legacy cities as being densely populated old cities in the N.E region of the U.S, with an impressive skyline and current or former industry. Obviously D.C doesn't meat some of those requirements but it sure gets treated like a legacy city on here.
Baltimore has the "old" and densely populated part right.

Old 09-27-2017, 03:41 PM

19 posts, read 15,560 times
Great history/architecture.

It had to have had a significant role in building the country.

Old 09-27-2017, 04:26 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,749,193 times
I would consider so the cities you listed as legacy cities.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,102 times
Legacy Cities are cities that have experienced profound social and economic disruption as a result of fundamental shifts of the global economy in recent decades, and policy decisions made at the local, state, and federal level.

Legacy cities have lost between 20–70% of residents since their mid-century population peak, but are still vibrant, mid-sized cities home to around 50,000 to 1.5 million people each.

Legacy cities are also not confined to the Northeast or Great Lakes. There are a few well known Southern legacy cities.

So basically, Boston, New York, Chicago, etc. wouldn't qualify as legacy cities. Those cities are way too global and way too economically diverse to be considered "legacy cities". Legacy cities are cities that are not as "great" as they used to be. You could easily argue that New York, Boston, Chicago are as vibrant as they have ever been with booming skylines, super diverse populations and economies, and global connectivity.

The most prominent legacy cities by region would be.

Northeast: Baltimore, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington D.C. (???), Newark, Providence
Midwest: Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, Minneapolis (???), Milwaukee, Cincinnati
South: Birmingham, New Orleans, Louisville, Norfolk, Richmond

Legacy Cities Partnership Blog

Old 09-27-2017, 09:53 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
I have never heard this term...

Old 09-27-2017, 10:57 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,661,399 times
Someone uses a term in a book with one definition, and others piggyback on that, with the definition adapting or taking on entirely new meanings over time...that's how the language works.

I'd consider a legacy city anything that was really big before a certain time. But the definition of big and the timing are vague ideas in my mind, and can vary.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:48 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
A legacy city is not simply an old city. It's an old city that entered a period of population and job decline in the mid 20th century which it has yet to recover from. Basically it's a rebranding of the term "rust belt" which is inclusive of cities like New Orleans or Birmingham which are outside of the Rust Belt proper.

Older cities which have an urban core which has recovered, like NYC, Boston, and Chicago, are almost universally not considered legacy cities. Baltimore and Philly traditionally are still considered as such, because even though they have healthy metros the urban core still has big problems.

Check out the official website. And here's the study which invented the term.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:56 AM

23,044 posts, read 35,003,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A legacy city is not simply an old city. It's an old city that entered a period of population and job decline in the mid 20th century which it has yet to recover from. Basically it's a rebranding of the term "rust belt" which is inclusive of cities like New Orleans or Birmingham which are outside of the Rust Belt proper.

Older cities which have an urban core which has recovered, like NYC, Boston, and Chicago, are almost universally not considered legacy cities. Baltimore and Philly traditionally are still considered as such, because even though they have healthy metros the urban core still has big problems.

Check out the official website. And here's the study which invented the term.
This.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:09 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This.
Yeah. To some degree the rebranding is arbitrary, but the idea of the "legacy" title is basically that since they used to be much larger cities (both in absolute population and in terms of their national ranking) they have a lot of historic infrastructure which newer cities anchoring metros of the same size don't have (historic districts, museums, concert halls, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or