U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:15 PM
_OT

2,143 posts, read 1,518,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I think Texas, California, Florida, and Hawaii are the most biodiverse states. They also have a variety of geography, with tropics, beaches, deserts, canyons, forests, and prairie.
Other sources say it's California, Hawaii, Texas, and Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 08:08 AM

44,684 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Ok I'm not being scientific but as a casual observer, I found NC and VA and MD to be very pleasantly diverse - four distinct and fairly evenly spaced seasons, coast lines, plateaus and farmland, and mountains and not too far a drive from one type of terrain to the other.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:48 PM
BMI

7,261 posts, read 4,492,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Other sources say it's California, Hawaii, Texas, and Alabama.
California is tops.

Suprisingly New Mexico is up there too.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:12 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,640,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Suprisingly New Mexico is up there too.
Not for plant diversity it does not. There's more diversity in 1 acre in Alabama than there is in the entire state of NM.

Plant diversity =/= climate diversity. But an area with a lot of plants and no climate diversity can start to look all the same... a big forest

Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
I remembered to Google this finally. Anyway, I was wrong, it is California, Texas, large gap, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Oregon, and North Carolina. Hawaii surprisingly, for me, ranks last despite its tropical climate, behind Alaska, Delaware, Rhode Island, and basically the single municipality of DC.

https://www.thoughtco.com/top-states...ersity-1203613

Also, New Mexico seems to have Alabama beat when it comes to plant diversity.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:57 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,997 times
Quote:
I remembered to Google this finally. Anyway, I was wrong, it is California, Texas, large gap, Arizona, New Mexico, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Oregon, and North Carolina. Hawaii surprisingly, for me, ranks last despite its tropical climate, behind Alaska, Delaware, Rhode Island, and basically the single municipality of DC.
Not really a surprise, as it's an isolated archipelago, reached only by few species. It won't score the highest on biodiversity, but it certainly will rank high on endemism.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:59 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,272,542 times
Quote:

https://www.thoughtco.com/top-states...ersity-1203613

Also, New Mexico seems to have Alabama beat when it comes to plant diversity.
Alabama is still impressive though given its location and relative size. Thats one of the few states that actually impressed me when I visited it.

California and Texas are massive, so that's a no brainer.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:37 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,211,473 times
Alabama/south east has the most diverse biomes meaning that a single parcel of forest will have many species, where as California has the most amount of biomes but not necessarily the most diverse ones, so when counting all the species by state, California will have the most because of all the unique biomes that it contains. Alabama is very impressive given that it has so few biomes.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:37 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,997 times
Alabama does well due to geologic diversity afforded to it by variations that come from being along the Appalachian mountain corridor. Although that would also suggest that Georgia and the Carolinas are states of high biodiversity as well.

Then again, the factor of discovery must be taken into account; scientists make new discoveries every day, so many of these states have biodiversity that is yet to be found (especially in the Southern US, where geography makes the area look unpromising at first glance). After all, it took all the way until just last year just to class the North American Coastal Plain as a biodiversity hotspot.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 AM

2,321 posts, read 3,000,991 times
I would think the large states, such as Alaska, California, Texas, Colorado, Montana, North Carolina, etc.. would be obvious examples of being diverse but don't forget the smaller ones as well, if you are looking at staying in one particular state. Personally, I think of regions and distance so it really shouldn't matter if needing to cross state lines.

From my own corner of the world, right on the mid-Atlantic coast in the heart of Delmarva, I am 4 hours away from all sorts of different types of zones and nature. Near me is all bays and salt marsh with cypress swamps and farm land thrown in the mix. I'm 20 minutes from an undeveloped national seashore with wild pony's. 1 hour from blackwater, a large wildlife refuge right on the Atlantic flyway with all sorts of hawks and nesting bald eagles. We even have a few of the goldens which visit every year. About an hour away are the Va barrier islands and most of the Chesapeake.

Then the diversity really starts as I'm 4 hours to NC's outer banks, West VA's Appalachians, VA's skyline drive along the blue ridge and Western MD's Deep creek lake. Not to mention the Amish in PA as well the rest of southern PA.

4 hours covers hardly any snow and moderate winters on the coast to several thousand feet in elevation with snowy and cold winters.

I'd say overall it is a very bio diverse area with all sorts of outdoor activities for everyone. But,I do bring a few other states into the mix to even compare with one larger state, but 4 hours driving (about max IMO for a day trip) is 4 hours driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or