U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
83 posts, read 54,029 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Too bad you eliminated California!

Thousand Oaks has everything on your list. Top schools, family-friendly, one of the safest cities over 100k in the US, preserved open space and hiking trails, clean streets with mostly underground utilities, designated bicycle lanes, extensive food and shopping choices, a great parks and recreation dept with many activities for all ages, of course excellent climate and access to still-pristine nature, population and sprawl limits, good hospitals and medical care, no highrise buildings, no humidity, no mosquitoes, has Prop 13 property tax laws that limit increases, has a senior center and a teen center, access to Los Angeles metro with all its jobs and amenities. You can rent a 4-bd house if you push the budget up a bit: example, https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...4_rect/11_zm/?

Not perfect, earthquakes are possible, but no hurricanes, tornados, tsunamis, blizzards, and most areas are not in a wildfire zone. Things are more expensive than Florida, but salaries are higher.
That does sound pretty amazing. It's mainly the earthquake thing that I'm not crazy about, and the high cost of living, but I'll look a little closer at this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
83 posts, read 54,029 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of another area of VA, perhaps the Roanoke and nearby Blacksburg-Christiansburg-Radford areas may be worth a look. It is near mountains, has some good college/university options, has a COL that is lower than other parts of the state and it has as much sunlight as other parts of the state.
I'll check those out too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,574 posts, read 10,309,548 times
Reputation: 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
Thanks, bluescreen. I've heard about the teacher shortage too, and that school districts haven't seen any of the money that they were supposed to get from pot taxes.

Are there any nice areas outside of the Corridor (southwest or southeast) that are family-friendly but not as abundantly populated?
FWIW, the Eastern Plains may not be your cup of tea. The communities there are mostly dependent on agriculture, and the land is pretty hot, dry, treeless, and flat. Jobs and good schools could be an issue. If you're still curious about the plains, check out Lamar, Sterling, and Fort Morgan in that order.

West of the Front Range, cities like Delta, Montrose, and Durango come to mind. They're all pretty small and isolated. Montrose is the largest of the three cities, with Durango a close second. Both are about 20,000. Delta is closer to 10k. Durango probably has the best job prospects, but it's also the snowiest of the three (65"/year).

Grand Junction/Palisade/Fruita may also be possibilities. They're all in the same general area, and because they're right on I-70 they're not as isolated as Durango, Montrose, and Delta. The Grand Junction area doesn't have super harsh winters. The climate there, while still cold in the winter, is mild enough that they're able to grow peaches and other fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,747 posts, read 5,136,412 times
Reputation: 2869
The Philadelphia area has a widespread collection of pristine suburbs. Many with limited developments, lots of history and character, walkable town centers, close to major shopping centers and the city, beyond excellent public and private schools, and a lot of recreational opportunities. And relative affordability compared to its peers in NYC and DC. Also I would also say the Mid-Atlantic states have the best taste of all 4 seasons.

Montgomery County, Chester County, Delaware County, and Bucks County. All in PA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 AM
 
84 posts, read 73,354 times
Reputation: 100
We are doing the same and leaving Fl. Kids are 15, 5, and one on the way. Mostly because of humidity, lack of seasons, everything is flat, very old poplulation....

Anyhow, we are pretty sure we have decided on a suburb of Minneapolis(plymouth, eden prairie, lakeville...)

Good luck with your search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
83 posts, read 54,029 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
FWIW, the Eastern Plains may not be your cup of tea. The communities there are mostly dependent on agriculture, and the land is pretty hot, dry, treeless, and flat. Jobs and good schools could be an issue. If you're still curious about the plains, check out Lamar, Sterling, and Fort Morgan in that order.

West of the Front Range, cities like Delta, Montrose, and Durango come to mind. They're all pretty small and isolated. Montrose is the largest of the three cities, with Durango a close second. Both are about 20,000. Delta is closer to 10k. Durango probably has the best job prospects, but it's also the snowiest of the three (65"/year).

Grand Junction/Palisade/Fruita may also be possibilities. They're all in the same general area, and because they're right on I-70 they're not as isolated as Durango, Montrose, and Delta. The Grand Junction area doesn't have super harsh winters. The climate there, while still cold in the winter, is mild enough that they're able to grow peaches and other fruits.

I do prefer an area that's not totally flat (all I've ever had here in Florida and would like something else!), but I'll look at the 3 locations you mention.

Isn't Durango kind of a grittier area? It seems to me I've heard the crime's a little more of an issue there.
I have heard positive things about Grand Junction. I've never heard of Montrose or Delta, so that's a worth a look.

Thanks for the great information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
83 posts, read 54,029 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The Philadelphia area has a widespread collection of pristine suburbs. Many with limited developments, lots of history and character, walkable town centers, close to major shopping centers and the city, beyond excellent public and private schools, and a lot of recreational opportunities. And relative affordability compared to its peers in NYC and DC. Also I would also say the Mid-Atlantic states have the best taste of all 4 seasons.

Montgomery County, Chester County, Delaware County, and Bucks County. All in PA.
There are many places in Pennsylvania that I keep finding on searches for great schools, best places to live, etc, BUT I have neighbors that told me a funny story about living in PA and it was so cold that the husband would put on these footie pajamas (that were originally given as a gag gift), and would curl up under a blanket and not want to get off the couch that they finally decided to move to Florida. So every time I think of PA I just see a man in footie pajamas huddled under a blanket too miserably cold to function. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
83 posts, read 54,029 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
We are doing the same and leaving Fl. Kids are 15, 5, and one on the way. Mostly because of humidity, lack of seasons, everything is flat, very old poplulation....

Anyhow, we are pretty sure we have decided on a suburb of Minneapolis(plymouth, eden prairie, lakeville...)

Good luck with your search
Thanks, JJTT. I came across another thread on this site where someone was commenting on winters in Minneapolis- how the city is alive with activity and you can find things like heated waiting areas in public places. That's still much snow for my tastes, but it did sound amazing.

Good luck to you as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,574 posts, read 10,309,548 times
Reputation: 9848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
I do prefer an area that's not totally flat (all I've ever had here in Florida and would like something else!), but I'll look at the 3 locations you mention.

Isn't Durango kind of a grittier area? It seems to me I've heard the crime's a little more of an issue there.
I have heard positive things about Grand Junction. I've never heard of Montrose or Delta, so that's a worth a look.

Thanks for the great information!
I don't think Durango is all that gritty. It's a college town so that could skew the crime stats. Cortez, which is 45 miles west of Durango, is a lot rougher around the edges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
83 posts, read 54,029 times
Reputation: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I don't think Durango is all that gritty. It's a college town so that could skew the crime stats. Cortez, which is 45 miles west of Durango, is a lot rougher around the edges.
Good to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top