U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 07:01 AM

5,716 posts, read 5,108,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Florida View Post
There are many places in Pennsylvania that I keep finding on searches for great schools, best places to live, etc, BUT I have neighbors that told me a funny story about living in PA and it was so cold that the husband would put on these footie pajamas (that were originally given as a gag gift), and would curl up under a blanket and not want to get off the couch that they finally decided to move to Florida. So every time I think of PA I just see a man in footie pajamas huddled under a blanket too miserably cold to function. LOL
That might be true for Northern PA, but Philadelphia is Southeastern PA, far warmer then Boston, and even NYC. The Philadelphia area weather closely resembles DC, we get snow and cold, but its pretty tame compared to Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

I'd still keep it on your radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 AM

82 posts, read 53,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That might be true for Northern PA, but Philadelphia is Southeastern PA, far warmer then Boston, and even NYC. The Philadelphia area weather closely resembles DC, we get snow and cold, but its pretty tame compared to Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

I'd still keep it on your radar.
That's helpful to know. Thank you.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:27 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,612,363 times
Restless, you aren't leaving much of the country left.

How about the " middle state's "?
You know Tennessee, Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas etc.

If southern PA is too cold, so will Indiana, unless you stay strictly to the southern part.
Any area is going to be "cold" that's north of say the Georgia northern line. South carolina may not be too bad, but if you're used to 70s in winter, 50s is going to be a real shocker for you! And if it gets lower, you'll be curled up in footy PJ's under a woolen blanky as well!!

I'd go visit the "middle states" in February before I made a move. Take a trip for a,week or two and see what you think in FEBRUARY when it's the COLDEST. And possibly the snowiest.

We have a RETIREMENT spot in Georgia picked out. That's where we'll be heading, even though I have a property in Florida already. It will be sold and invested in Georgia.
We don't like Florida for exactly some of the reasons you mentioned.

Best of luck in relocating and being HAPPY once you get there.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:57 AM

497 posts, read 272,662 times
Indiana does not get a lot of sun and it gets cold. PA property taxes can be high,IMO. If you want to avoid mosquitoes and humidity and have sun, you are going to want to look to the west.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 PM

Galaxy: LOL, I know I don't leave myself with many choices. I want to be careful that we're not moving from something unpleasant into something just as, or even more, unpleasant. And quite honestly, having spent almost my entire life in FL, I only have my own generalizations about these other places to go by (along with statistical research), not actual experience.

Not to offend any state, but for giggles I'm going to explain my generalizations and how they factor into my thinking (these may well be misconceptions, I'm not sure):

The Deep South (AL, GA, MS, LA, SC)- Not a healthy population (all except GA are among worst for health risk factors). Also: gators, mosquitos, humidity and stupid hurricanes.

TN, AR, KY- Not "deep" south, but same problems, minus hurricanes.

New England States (ME, RI, MA, CT, VT, NH) - Footie pajamas or no, they're TOO COLD!!! They're also far more densely populated than Florida is at this point.

MD, DE, NY, NH, PA- Not technically New England states, but still too cold and crowded.

Michigan- Summers are beautiful, but winters are too cold and gray. My husband's family moved to FL after just 6 months there.

Minnesota- It would be colder than Michigan.

Texas- In addition to being one of the 2 most at-risk states for disasters (next to Florida), I'm sorry, but I always think of big hats, boots and guns, and we have enough of that in Florida. :-)

California- Maybe it's because it seems too much like Florida. Or maybe it's because we're expecting it to break off and fall into the ocean at some point. (I'm still scoping it out, though).

Pacific Northwest- Washington & Oregon have just about everything we want- mountains, water, climate, schools, quick hike to Canada when govt drives us to the brink of insanity.... But not enough sun! Constant gray skies with little sun have a really negative affect on me (and my husband's family too).

Idaho / Montana / North Dakota- Kind of the opposite of New England b/c there's barely anyone there. Still cold, though.

Tornado Alley (OK, KS, NE)- The name says it all.

Illinois- I keep hearing the whole state being described as "corrupt". I don't know why that is, but I think we'll avoid it.

So of what little is left, we're weighing our options. I love parts of the West / Midwest, but the crime is concerning. And in-laws are hesitant to go that far (rest of the family is still over here). Not sure about Ohio or Indiana. I've heard nothing good about Missouri or Iowa. We're not going to find a place that's 100% what each of us would like, but we've got to get our facts straight and then decide what's most important.

I do like your idea of trying on a winter to see how it feels! Once we've narrowed things down somewhat we'll probably do that.

Thank you, and I hope you enjoy your Georgia retirement!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Indiana does not get a lot of sun and it gets cold. PA property taxes can be high,IMO. If you want to avoid mosquitoes and humidity and have sun, you are going to want to look to the west.
Indiana is where in-laws are really enthusiastic about looking, but I'm not sure about it.
I love the idea of something out west, but they don't really want to go that far b/c the rest of our family is still over here on the east coast. It's challenging to find an option that works well for all of us, but feedback from everyone here helps a lot.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:15 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,803,577 times
I would say Arizona, but the in-laws want to stay east. Northern Arizona (Prescott, Flagstaff) may fit your weather requirement.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I would say Arizona, but the in-laws want to stay east. Northern Arizona (Prescott, Flagstaff) may fit your weather requirement.
There's a lot that I love about Arizona. I am a little concerned about their roads and education system (research consistently shows unfavorable marks for these). But it IS beautiful and has a lot to offer. Are there any areas with a bit of natural greenery?

Old 10-06-2017, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 2,550 times
I live in Minnesota the schools are top of the line. Their is tons to do and I have lived here all my life. Good quality of life. Winters are Brrrrr!

Old 10-06-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise old owl 1955 View Post
I live in Minnesota the schools are top of the line. Their is tons to do and I have lived here all my life. Good quality of life. Winters are Brrrrr!
Where in Minnesota are you? I imagine "Brrrr!" is an understatement. Lol. But someone on another thread was describing how Minneapolis winters are so amazing. Has that been your experience too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or