U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 01:40 PM

789 posts, read 371,179 times

Advertisements

Well I'm going to throw Wyoming into the mix because Kipling rated it most tax friendly for retirees. It's safe and the schools get a lot of money that go towards the students as we've already discussed. It also has no state income tax, another bonus. Depending on where you live there is a lot of snow and/or wind with can be a downside, but recreational activities abound, especially winter sports, which help make the winter months bearable. Another downside is there is only one University, The University of Wyoming, but you get a lot of bang for your buck there because it is not super expensive, they offer great schlorships for Wyoming residents, and they have small class sizes so lots of one on one attention.

Other places that could suit your needs is Colorado, Utah, or maybe Idaho? We looked into Colorado both in the Fort Collins area, and also the Loveland area. In Idaho Boise is a big, fun University town that has tons of outdoor amenities, and usually not too much snow. Last year was a fluke I'm told. The Salt Lake City region of Utah is full of opportunities and growth, but I also really liked the smaller town of St.George which has hotter summers, but milder winters.

So many people have offered you good advice. Talk with your family and pick out your favorite areas and hit the road. Rent a car and try and see as many places as you are interested as you can. Get a feel for the towns, the people there. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 02:33 PM

82 posts, read 53,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
Well I'm going to throw Wyoming into the mix because Kipling rated it most tax friendly for retirees. It's safe and the schools get a lot of money that go towards the students as we've already discussed. It also has no state income tax, another bonus. Depending on where you live there is a lot of snow and/or wind with can be a downside, but recreational activities abound, especially winter sports, which help make the winter months bearable. Another downside is there is only one University, The University of Wyoming, but you get a lot of bang for your buck there because it is not super expensive, they offer great schlorships for Wyoming residents, and they have small class sizes so lots of one on one attention.

Other places that could suit your needs is Colorado, Utah, or maybe Idaho? We looked into Colorado both in the Fort Collins area, and also the Loveland area. In Idaho Boise is a big, fun University town that has tons of outdoor amenities, and usually not too much snow. Last year was a fluke I'm told. The Salt Lake City region of Utah is full of opportunities and growth, but I also really liked the smaller town of St.George which has hotter summers, but milder winters.

So many people have offered you good advice. Talk with your family and pick out your favorite areas and hit the road. Rent a car and try and see as many places as you are interested as you can. Get a feel for the towns, the people there. It's a lot of fun and you'll learn a lot too.
Colorado and Utah have been at the top of my list to look into, but then learned my in laws have some interest in Indiana, so I started looking into the more central states as well. They actually got pretty excited at the thought of a move up there (also sick of heat, traffic and hurricanes). But after talking to my husband the past couple days we've realized he isn't bothered enough here to want to leave his career of 12 years and look somewhere else. Which I can understand, but I am disappointed.

I want so much to be somewhere that we can throw on backpacks and go hiking through hills / mountains on weekends, our boys can experience things like sledding & skiing, we can enjoy camping or just plain sitting outside in the evening without being consumed by mosquitoes, where schools aren't in debt and there aren't accidents on the roads every day. I would love to take a road trip and explore the possibilities (my kids would like new scenery too), but my husband is thinking more along the lines of "If it's ain't broke, don't fix it". :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or