U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 1,299 times

Advertisements

I live in a small California community and have my entire life. I was born here, graduated from high school and university, live and got my FT benefited job, all within 20 minutes of each other. I am 24 and am feeling the need to set off on my own. I'm wanting this to happen in about a year, maybe two.

I want to get OUT of the PNW. I'm looking for a larger, but not huge metropolitan area, or just outside of a city. I would prefer a temperate climate overall. I'm mostly worried about snow, as I haven't driven in it before (we get lots of rain, but no snow here).

I have a BA in psychology and work in social services. I work directly with clients in an office setting (in person or over the phone), and a lot of computer work. I enjoy my field and would like to stay in it. I've also done personal care for disabled adults and animal care.

I am looking for a fairly liberal and LGBT friendly area. A nice Reform Jewish community would be great. And of course, who doesn't want a good cost of living? I have a dog so an area that is reasonably dog-friendly is a must. He's not a banned breed, so no worries on that front.

I really appreciate your help!

Edit: Safety is definitely a priority. I do not have any children, but I definitely want them, so good public schools are important as well.

Last edited by Maeve_; 09-30-2017 at 06:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 05:52 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Charlotte could be a good option for you as it's a larger city but not overwhelming in terms of vertical presence or traffic congestion. It's a very green city with lots of trees, greenspaces and parks plus is dog-friendly generally. Charlotte has a vibrant economy in terms of employment options, a moderate cost of living, four distinct seasons minus snowy winters, a left-leaning LGBT-friendly population and a significant presence of a Reform Jewish Community. There are many mostly safe neighborhoods to choose from and given the desire to be among or close to the Jewish community would suggest Myers Park and Southpark (south of downtown) or Ballantyne on the south end near the SC state line or the nearby suburban town of Matthews. All have very good to excellent schools.

Old 10-01-2017, 08:29 AM

56,502 posts, read 80,803,243 times
To be honest, the areas that are good fits socially are likely areas that get a visible degree of snow. Places that get snow tend to clear it in a timely manner due to having the proper equipment to clear it. With that said, places in the lower Northeast/Midwest/upper South like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati and St. Louis may be happy mediums in terms of weather. Atlanta may be another choice.

With that said and while it is an incomplete list, this may help: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewi...opolitan_areas

More: Largest Jewish Populated Metropolitan Areas, United States

Jewish Population in the United States, by State

U.S. Jewish Population Substantially Larger Than Previously Estimated

Old 10-01-2017, 03:15 PM

Thank you! I have already been suggested NC, and I'm strongly considering it. I will look more into the other cities suggested, soon?

Old 10-01-2017, 04:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
I think you should investigate the job options first. Most social service positions in greater metro areas are filled by masters degree prepared candidates. Then evaluate potential salaries, which will need to be much higher to compensate for the increased COL you'll no doubt encounter.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:47 PM

Yes, jobs are important! I have looked, and while there aren't any current openings for *exactly* what I do, there is an opening for a supervisor position, which just requires experience, although a degree can be substituted for experience. I'm not a social worker, but I'm in the same field. To be more precise, I help people get medicaid and snap benefits.

I will obviously have to do some math in regards to affording apartments and such, but from browsing CL it looks like housing there is about 30% cheaper than it is here.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:57 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve_ View Post
Yes, jobs are important! I have looked, and while there aren't any current openings for *exactly* what I do, there is an opening for a supervisor position, which just requires experience, although a degree can be substituted for experience. I'm not a social worker, but I'm in the same field. To be more precise, I help people get medicaid and snap benefits.

I will obviously have to do some math in regards to affording apartments and such, but from browsing CL it looks like housing there is about 30% cheaper than it is here.
If looking for more affordable cities where perhaps there isn't lots of competition for suitable jobs you might consider other NC cities like Greensboro or Winston Salem which are routinely ranked among the few least expensive larger cities to live in. While overlooked often by those checking out NC cities like Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte they have quietly grown into sizable cities with a combined metro population of 1.7 million, with Greensboro slightly larger than Winston Salem. Both have growing downtown areas with new amenities opening constantly and plenty of safe, desirable places to live along with quite a bit to do. Of the two Greensboro could be a better fit with it's younger vibe from having four colleges in/around it's downtown area, though Winston Salem could be more your speed if your prefer a more artsy, slightly "granola" feel. Both cities have sizable Jewish Reform synagogues as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.