Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 10:26 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Cairo, IL. It lost 85% of its population and looks like it got frozen in time since its heyday in the 1920's. Despite nobody caring about Cairo, I find myself exploring it a lot on streetview and youtube recently.

Paducah, KY. In fact I hadn't even heard about it since last week. It's somewhere in the middle of nowhere and nobody seems to talk or care about it.
Been to Cairo twice in the past 10 years to photograph it. Unfortunately, it is literally fading fast. Between my first and second times there, many of the old 3 story commercial buildings downtown were reduced to piles of rubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 09:54 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Peoria, Illinois. Does anyone still use "will it play in Peoria" anymore?
The irony of this is it might be the most stabled city in America, population wise. The problem is it's too stabled because the city has been at its current population for last 70-90 years, give or take about 10,000 people every other decade. After goggling a bit of history about the place, I bet most don't know it was a bigger city than Phoenix less than 70 years ago and Peoria,AZ(a suburb of Phoenix) was even named after it. It's early growth alluded to it having potential to become one of the major cities of the country, but never took off. It "matured" early, while its former peer had grown way passed it.

The most forgotten cities are probably Gary, IN, East St. Louis, and Cairo(can't even be considered a city anymore) in no order. I've never been to the latter two, but I was in Gary last week for a job orientation, and man is that town dead looking. If not for Miller Beach neighborhood, the decline probably would have been more severe than it is now.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,439,991 times
I say Cleveland is definitely forgotten as well as Detroit, Buffalo and St. Louis. But, in my opinion everybody chose to forget about those cities because of national media, hearsay, social media and society at large.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:45 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Definitely not!

In North Carolina, Greensboro's profile is right behind Charlotte and Raleigh.....as it should be. Greensboro has the most well-known HBCU in the Carolinas, is known as a college town, is the heart Tobacco Road, etc etc. It is not forgotten about in-state. If any in-state city were a candidate for that it would be Winston...

The real forgotten cities are those sizable cities that could anchor their own metros were they not overshadowed by larger cities (Newark, Fort Worth, Oakland); those cities that had a larger reputation and influence in decades or centuries past that is now shrunken (Norfolk, Hartford, Rochester); those "new" cities over 1 million that are overshadowed within their own states (Grand Rapids, Tucson, Tulsa). And this is just for cities over 1 million...
The fact that you are the only person in the thread that even mention Fort Worth speaks volumes, that even in a thread about forgotten cities Fort Worth is still largely forgotten.

In North Texas the region is never refer to as the Dallas metropolitan area it's always branded as The DFW area in North Texas. It's people outside of Texas calling the region the Dallas region. While being completely oblivious to Fort Worth even existing most of the time.

Due to there being super suburbs like Mesa AZ, Arlington TX, and Anaheim CA confuse things. Because people know of Dallas, and don't know of Fort Worth they assume that it's Anaheim to LA large suburb situation rather than a Oakland to SF, twin major cities situation.

They started independent of each other, then grow up parallel to each other, then crash together now there two major sunbelt cities.

Dallas 92,104
FW 73,312

----------

In 1920
Dallas 158,976
FW 106,482

Dallas 294,734
Fort Worth 177,662

From 60's - 90's Dallas hit a boom and Started to double FW, but in 2000 FW was the fastest growing city in Texas, now there back to a 2/3 relations.

Now Dallas is 1,317,929
Fort Worth is 854,113

Fort Worth 1920

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2488/3...effea73f_b.jpg
Also FW 1920

http://www.shsu.edu/~his_rtc/TexasPh...s/image005.jpg

Old 11-02-2017, 08:04 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Toledo, Baltimore, Reno, Ft. Wayne.

Old 11-02-2017, 09:37 PM

19 posts, read 29,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Toledo, Baltimore, Reno, Ft. Wayne.
Baltimore has definitely been somewhat forgotten, it's never talked about other than when riots happen.

St. Louis is in the same boat.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I say Cleveland is definitely forgotten as well as Detroit, Buffalo and St. Louis. But, in my opinion everybody chose to forget about those cities because of national media, hearsay, social media and society at large.
Detroit is far from forgotten, it's the automotive capital of the nation and probably the planet as well. The amount of investment and positive recognition it has received in recent years has been huge!

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...ons/797027001/

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...imes/96164332/

Old 11-03-2017, 08:58 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
I know that this thread has been exclusively about US cities..........but

In northern British Columbia there is a town that sits empty, with every thing in place, houses, a mall, public buildings, apartment buildings, schools, a airport and a deep water harbour. It was built in 1971. The main industry was a mine that produced molybednium. The market value of that material crashed and the mining company closed the mine. Within 4 months, every one left, all 14,000 people.

The entire town was bought * for 3 million dollars * about 5 years ago, by a man from India, as a potential retirement town. He maintains the town, and has year round caretaker couple, plus a small summer work crew who keep things in repair.

The buildings still contain all of the contents, like the hospital and the dental clinic. The Sears store still has all of the counters and the café in the mall still has the tables and chairs. The library still has books and kids games on the shelves. The curling rink is clean and so is the swimming pool.

The houses are sitting silently, and the street lights are still functional.

A place frozen in the mid 70's.

link Two B.C. ghost towns have sat empty for decades, but owners have a plan to bring them back to life | National Post

Guess what ? That most current news story says that a new company wants to reopen the Kitsault mine, and the BC Government has approved it.

link to BC ghost town video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX2MvCnyRTo

A rebirth ? Lets hope so.

XXXX.

Old 11-04-2017, 06:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsettler View Post
Baltimore has definitely been somewhat forgotten, it's never talked about other than when riots happen.

With the other four major cities (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington) in the Northeast Corridor having such great importance, they pretty well suck the oxygen out of the air for Baltimore and hide its presence.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:09 AM

690 posts, read 1,006,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsettler View Post

The only thing forgotten about Baltimore is its positive attributes, anything negative sticks in the minds of people for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
With the other four major cities (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Washington) in the Northeast Corridor having such great importance, they pretty well suck the oxygen out of the air for Baltimore and hide its presence.
Baltimore is still important with great institutions and a significant port. However, I do understand what you mean really all 4 cities (you could even include Richmond) tugs and pulls one another. The good thing is that being so close if one place lacks something, there is another city including Baltimore that can make up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.