U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:21 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,737,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Yeah, that article about MTL being forgotten is full of crap. We're a famous city known for our worlds largest festivals, world-class art and food scene and high QOL.

I agree with you, Buffalo is a good contender. You hardly ever hear anything about that city honestly. I'd even mention Detroit, and I do know it's mentioned often, but people don't know about how the city is making a comeback and slowly cleaning up. Detroit would be "forgotten" due to ignorance.
I just read that article. I have to agree with you. Talk about over exaggerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 02:27 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,737,253 times
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Forgotten assumes that the city was well known at one time, and now people don't think about it or know much about it.

If we are talking about Canada, the US and Mexico, well how many Canadians and American really know all the Mexican cities to have forgotten them, rather than never knowing them?

How many Americans have never heard of Saskatoon...so how could they forget it?

Old 10-08-2017, 02:30 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
In America, most people, especially on the Coasts and Chicago, look down on cities like Detroit and Cleveland. They're used as America's whipping boys everybody considers any Midwest city outside of Chicago "Flyover Country" thanks to a lot of stand up comics and YouTube. Detroit has a little more notoriety because of Motown while Cleveland is known for the river catching on fire in the 1960s.

When LeBron left Cleveland for Miami everybody kept saying he left because Cleveland sucked. It was relentless jokes When he came back to Cleveland it messed up their narrative; a lot of the national media didn't want him coming back to Cleveland because they know they would have to come up here to cover him. Now, that he's won a title in Cleveland they want him to go to L.A. A lot of the national media also feels that cities like Cleveland or Detroit deserve to have anything nice, or Cleveland don't deserve LeBron or a player of his caliber. The only reason San Jose doesn't get trashed is because it's a Bay Area city.
Yeah, and those Cleveland Indians aren't half bad either.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 PM

390 posts, read 231,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
In America, most people, especially on the Coasts and Chicago, look down on cities like Detroit and Cleveland.
I think you are confusing "most people" with the people on this forum. Most people rarely think of other cities and rarely have an opinion.

Last edited by ms12345; 10-08-2017 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 PM

1,234 posts, read 635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
I think you are confusing "most people" with the people on this forum. Most people rarely think of other cities and rarely have an opinion.
It's not just limited to City Data, it's on other social media platforms as well. When most people on other social media platforms hear Cleveland or any other Midwest city outside of Chicago is mentioned, nine times out of ten it's negative (i.e. river catching fire in the '60s, snow, bad sports losses, "Hastily Cleveland Tourism" YouTube videos). They bash them almost every chance they get.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:35 PM

1,234 posts, read 635,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, and those Cleveland Indians aren't half bad either.
True but people on social media love to throw the 3-1 lead jokes. Oh, and everybody loves to talk about the racist logo.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:21 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Milwaukee.

Its metropolitan area is larger than Memphis, Buffalo and Rochester, but it's located in the shadow of Chicago, which dominates the region. Even among Wisconsin cities, Madison and Green Bay get more national attention than Milwaukee does.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:16 AM

10,674 posts, read 8,179,948 times
Salt Lake City, Milwaukee, Buffalo, NY, Rochester, NY, Louisville, Lexington, KY, Knoxville Chattanooga
Oklahoma City
Tulsa,
Little Rock
Tucson,
Scottsdale
Mesa
Fargo ND
Sioux Falls
Boise
Billings, Montana
Omaha

Old 10-11-2017, 08:16 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Sacramento. It hasn't even been mentioned yet.

If it weren't in California and overshadowed by LA, the Bay Area, and San Diego, it would get a lot more exposure.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:39 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times
Rochester, NY
Buffalo, NY
Cleveland, OH
Akron, OH
Dayton, OH
Charleston, WV
Duluth, MM
Wichita, KS
Tulsa, OK
Birmingham, AB
Albuquerque, NM
Reno, NV
Sacramento, CA
Lubbock, TX
Mobile, AB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.