U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2017, 12:01 AM

86 posts, read 37,447 times

Advertisements

I'm not going into major detail with this, but I will give you a little background info about myself.

I would consider myself to be kind, but reserved. I would definitely not describe myself as "friendly". I am close to 30, and I do not have children-nor do I want any in the future. I do not dislike children though! I am not too social. Mostly by choice. I don't drink, or do the whole clubbing scene. I appreciate nature and also love animals. I would love to volunteer somewhere too-with children or with animals.

I need a slow-paced city, not fast!

It is very important for me to live in a safe, low-crime city/town. Maybe that is too much to ask these days..

I am working/going to school, but I have not obtained my degree at this time to start my actual career. In about 5 years I hope to be making around 50,000+ annually.

Here is the thing. I've mentioned this in the title, but I'll mention it again. I am a single, introverted black woman. If race wasn't so relevant in America then I wouldn't have mentioned my race to begin with. My race may influence the suggestions I might get. I need to be cognizant of the fact that some people in some regions aren't color-blind. I do not want to move into a town where most of the residents look at me as a parasite.

Diversity and integration can be two different things. It would be great if I lived in an integrated community. A "diverse" city means nothing to me. I've been to diverse cities and they are very segregated.

I've lived in predominately white towns for the majority of my life. There would be no culture shock on my part if I were to move to another town like that. The funny thing is that whether I am in a white or black community I still get treated a little like an outsider. Maybe for different reasons..hah.. I have..quirks

So, I guess you can consider my race when giving me suggestions on where to live but consider my other characteristics(?) as well.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 12:25 AM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Seattle seems like a candidate. We're often introverted, quirky people can do well here, and ethnic groups tend to mix more than usual. I mean by geography and with a large percentage of mixed-race kids etc.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:57 AM

459 posts, read 341,012 times
Birmingham, Montgomery, Huntsville, Raleigh, Nashville, Dallas, and/or Atlanta. Wherever you move make sure the people aren't masking their ridiculous amounts of racism behind the term "liberal".

Old 10-03-2017, 08:29 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
I'd say that a place like East Lansing MI may work in that it is a pretty diverse and integrated area that has a lower cost of living and isn't fast paced. You have a big community college and a huge high level state university. It is a walkable city that is safe and actually has a decent bus system, with good coverage within East Lansing itself. I'd say that outside of the university, the NW portion of the city is the most diverse/integrated. Plenty of lakes within a reasonable distance as well. https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/
https://www.cityofeastlansing.com/721/Downtown

https://www.cata.org/Routes-Schedule...1/10-03-2017/0

Hope this helps.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:59 PM

Ok. I'll consider all these options

Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderLipstickBlues View Post
It would be great if I lived in an integrated community. A "diverse" city means nothing to me. I've been to diverse cities and they are very segregated.
There's a distinct difference between what you have mentioned and what has been suggested so far with the exception perhaps of Atlanta, as well as being safe/low crime as that goes out the window with pretty much all of the of the options provided so far. You might take a look at Shaker Heights OH, an established inner-ring suburb of Cleveland. It's very diverse (53% White, 33% Black, 6% Asian, 3% Hispanic) and not segregated with a history as such. The cost of living is below the national average, it has a low crime rate, has a fairly walkable layout and is connected via Cleveland's surprisingly good rail transit system to downtown and other points of interest/job centers in the metro area.

City of Shaker Heights - About

Old 10-04-2017, 08:09 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Along with the good suggestion above, major college towns may also fit. They are generally integrated and diverse, with low crime rates. They have quite a bit to do for their size, while being slower in pace.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:31 AM

22,145 posts, read 23,656,611 times
Honolulu

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Along with the good suggestion above, major college towns may also fit. They are generally integrated and diverse, with low crime rates. They have quite a bit to do for their size, while being slower in pace.
That is a creative suggestion! That gives me different options to look around at different regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.