U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2018, 07:17 AM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Id say if anything they are underrated. Many people in the northeast grovel over Floridian winters. While I admit Id love to spend at least part of the winter there to escape the dreary winter here, Id dearly miss the magic of spring as things slowly warm, bloom and green, the excitement of summertime and the glory of high fall colors. No, Id personally dislike living in a climate with two to three seasons with less dramatic shifts, such as the West Coast and South Florida. I like the intensity of the northeastern climate.

I basically simply love the CHANGE - and like you, I don't think it's overrated. I love weather patterns and shifts and I find weather in general to be fascinating. I'm also one of those geeks who stays up to watch meteor showers and buys eclipse glasses so I can watch eclipses!

I love big storms and fabulous cloud formations.

Personally though, one thing I don't care for is long, cold winters. I prefer four evenly spaced out seasons with mild winters - a couple of snowfalls but NO SNOW SHOVELING - LOL. I don't like slush or piles of dirty snow laying around - and I sure don't want it around in March or April!

And some people would rather have a tradeoff and have that rather than a long,hot summer. I get that, but being born and bred in the south, long hot summers are the norm and don't get to me.

Till September. Then I go on vacation somewhere and I'm all better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 12:01 PM

4,855 posts, read 2,982,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well could be worse lol.. 18 years in Florida.

Right now it feels like I'm in Texas with highs pushing the 90s. Its worse cuz I have no AC at home. Its so stuffy! Summer's not even here yet but I'm already looking forward to fall if this is how its gonna be this year!
Crazy, I see Chicago is 93 right now. Will see the same in Denver soon.

Old 05-27-2018, 12:38 PM

329 posts, read 202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Well could be worse lol.. 18 years in Florida.

Right now it feels like I'm in Texas with highs pushing the 90s. Its worse cuz I have no AC at home. Its so stuffy! Summer's not even here yet but I'm already looking forward to fall if this is how its gonna be this year!
It's too hot here already in Austin! Upper 90's bumping 100 now! After next week it's forcasted to be 104-105 even saw 106! Too friggin' early in the summer for that!! Heck, it's not even officially summer yet! It gets toasty by 10-11 am so I have to get out very early to get my walking done. Too hot in the evening to do much patio sitting too. Last few summers have been somewhat tolerable but from what I hear this summer might be a scorcher! Ugh!

Old 05-27-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tams here View Post
It's too hot here already in Austin! Upper 90's bumping 100 now! After next week it's forcasted to be 104-105 even saw 106! Too friggin' early in the summer for that!! Heck, it's not even officially summer yet! It gets toasty by 10-11 am so I have to get out very early to get my walking done. Too hot in the evening to do much patio sitting too. Last few summers have been somewhat tolerable but from what I hear this summer might be a scorcher! Ugh!
yeah, I looked up next week's forecast, heat index could be 107+. From my memory, September can be worse than June.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Id say if anything they are underrated. Many people in the northeast grovel over Floridian winters. While I admit Id love to spend at least part of the winter there to escape the dreary winter here, Id dearly miss the magic of spring as things slowly warm, bloom and green, the excitement of summertime and the glory of high fall colors. No, Id personally dislike living in a climate with two to three seasons with less dramatic shifts, such as the West Coast and South Florida. I like the intensity of the northeastern climate.
I can deal with a warm winter....if I'm in Florida. But every now and then, not always.

Old 05-27-2018, 05:41 PM

748 posts, read 255,620 times
I like the change that happens from April to June, but if every month was like June that'd be cool, too. I dislike fall immensely and find it to be a quite depressing time of year, mostly because I can already anticipate how tired I will be of winter by March.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:35 PM

44,758 posts, read 36,160,327 times
Quote:
My husband is working out around Hobbs, NM and he sent me a picture of his truck thermometer - it was 112 degrees. YIKES!

The last two summer really spoiled me but I have a feeling it's going to be a hot one this year.

Old 05-27-2018, 06:51 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,257,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I basically simply love the CHANGE - and like you, I don't think it's overrated. I love weather patterns and shifts and I find weather in general to be fascinating. I'm also one of those geeks who stays up to watch meteor showers and buys eclipse glasses so I can watch eclipses!

I love big storms and fabulous cloud formations.

Personally though, one thing I don't care for is long, cold winters. I prefer four evenly spaced out seasons with mild winters - a couple of snowfalls but NO SNOW SHOVELING - LOL. I don't like slush or piles of dirty snow laying around - and I sure don't want it around in March or April!

And some people would rather have a tradeoff and have that rather than a long,hot summer. I get that, but being born and bred in the south, long hot summers are the norm and don't get to me.

Till September. Then I go on vacation somewhere and I'm all better!
Change is good and I would lose my mind in a climate like Los Angeles or Hawaii where the weather pretty much is the same or is very predictable.

Big storms are one of my favorites too and last summer I got to see a gigantic thunderhead form within the space of about 10 minutes and the sky suddenly go from light grey to almost black then *BOOM* one heck of a thunderstorm. It was so close that lightening hit the transformer for the factory and set it on fire and hit the factory roof.

Ha ha we are a bit opposite on long summers vs. long winters. I am happiest when winter runs late October through mid-April and love living here in the Snowbelt March here is pretty interesting because it is a bit bipolar and prone to crazy snowstorms and I've gotten a snowstorm every year for my birthday so far.

I do remember living in *HOT* climates though and spending a lot of time in the water. DH thought that I was going to grow fins I spent so much time in the water.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:39 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Yep. Its gonna be brutal. The inside of my house is currently warmer than outside. Its just awful. If this is how hot May is... I am afraid of June and July lol. I just hope we have a nice fall this year with no early snow, and a nice snowy winter.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,384,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I can deal with a warm winter....if I'm in Florida. But every now and then, not always.
I like my warm winters to happen in September
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or