U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 PM

1,964 posts, read 1,458,978 times

Advertisements

Without our four seasons here in South Metro Atlanta, I would not get my three seasons of flower differentations:
1. Spring- Atlanta favorites of azaleas and dogwoods peppered with bearded irises.
2. late spring/ and all through the summer, gladiolas, day lilies, roses, and hydrageas.
3. late summer into early fall rose of Sharon, sun flowers, piedmont azaleas, and crepe myrtles.
4. fall chrysanthemums, confederate roses, and of course our lovely fall foliage!

Without the change of seasons, my garden seasons would be non-existent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 AM

44,953 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Without our four seasons here in South Metro Atlanta, I would not get my three seasons of flower differentations:
1. Spring- Atlanta favorites of azaleas and dogwoods peppered with bearded irises.
2. late spring/ and all through the summer, gladiolas, day lilies, roses, and hydrageas.
3. late summer into early fall rose of Sharon, sun flowers, piedmont azaleas, and crepe myrtles.
4. fall chrysanthemums, confederate roses, and of course our lovely fall foliage!

Without the change of seasons, my garden seasons would be non-existent!
I totally agree - I much prefer seasonal changes (though I also much prefer a long growing season) for gardening and changes in the landscape.

Here in NE Texas, we have weather similar to that of Atlanta, and I love the plants you mentioned - all of them are active and flourishing in this area as well, though dogwoods aren't nearly as common here as they are in Georgia. But we have tons of azaleas, irises, glads, day lilies, hydrangeas, rose of Sharon, roses in general, sun flowers, all sorts of annual flowers, elephant ears, hostas, and crepe myrtles that bloom from June through October. We have a ton of native grasses which bloom and attract butterflies too. We live west of the "Pine Curtain" a bit so we have a lot of hardwoods and get fall color too. We have ferns but Georgia seems to have more of them.

It's very green and verdant here in NE Texas but my husband does a lot of work in the Midland area and it's the stereotypical flat Texas desert out there. He hates it out there. I have to admit - it's ugly as heck and I can't stand that weather. Thank God it's a six hour drive from here!

My daughter used to live in Guam, where it's always - ALWAYS - in the 80s during the day and the 70s during the night. All day, all week, all month, all year. They do have a rainy season and a non rainy season. Things grow like crazy there - all year. It rains a little almost every day, even when it's not the rainy season. She was so bored she could hardly stand it!

Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 3,395,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I totally agree - I much prefer seasonal changes (though I also much prefer a long growing season) for gardening and changes in the landscape.

Here in NE Texas, we have weather similar to that of Atlanta, and I love the plants you mentioned - all of them are active and flourishing in this area as well, though dogwoods aren't nearly as common here as they are in Georgia. But we have tons of azaleas, irises, glads, day lilies, hydrangeas, rose of Sharon, roses in general, sun flowers, all sorts of annual flowers, elephant ears, hostas, and crepe myrtles that bloom from June through October. We have a ton of native grasses which bloom and attract butterflies too. We live west of the "Pine Curtain" a bit so we have a lot of hardwoods and get fall color too. We have ferns but Georgia seems to have more of them.

It's very green and verdant here in NE Texas but my husband does a lot of work in the Midland area and it's the stereotypical flat Texas desert out there. He hates it out there. I have to admit - it's ugly as heck and I can't stand that weather. Thank God it's a six hour drive from here!

My daughter used to live in Guam, where it's always - ALWAYS - in the 80s during the day and the 70s during the night. All day, all week, all month, all year. They do have a rainy season and a non rainy season. Things grow like crazy there - all year. It rains a little almost every day, even when it's not the rainy season. She was so bored she could hardly stand it!

I love gardening and seeing how my garden changes in the year. For garden purposes I prefer spring, for backyard purposes I prefer summer (bonfires), for holiday decorations, I prefer fall and winter (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) It really is something to make the year more interesting. And gives you an incredible sense of time.

Even though I much prefer the Upper Midwest's climate, when I first moved to Texas from Florida one of my favourite things is that compared to Florida, Texas DOES have seasons. I loved fall, winter and spring in Texas. Even summer wasn't bad when I lived further west, but it feels so humid in the DFW area. But when comparing Texas to Minnesota, I'd pick Minnesota My personal bias but I prefer the weather and vegetation. Texas does have the blue bonnets, which is my partner's favourite flower, but MN is full of tulips, which are my favourite! Oh, and the lilacs! I guess lilacs are to the north as magnolias to the south, but I just adore lilacs. My aunt in Florida, who has never even heard of lilacs until I showed photos and videos of them, is now crazy to grow a lilac bush down there. Too bad Florida's climate isn't suitable for them.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:22 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I love gardening and seeing how my garden changes in the year. For garden purposes I prefer spring, for backyard purposes I prefer summer (bonfires), for holiday decorations, I prefer fall and winter (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) It really is something to make the year more interesting. And gives you an incredible sense of time.

Even though I much prefer the Upper Midwest's climate, when I first moved to Texas from Florida one of my favourite things is that compared to Florida, Texas DOES have seasons. I loved fall, winter and spring in Texas. Even summer wasn't bad when I lived further west, but it feels so humid in the DFW area. But when comparing Texas to Minnesota, I'd pick Minnesota My personal bias but I prefer the weather and vegetation. Texas does have the blue bonnets, which is my partner's favourite flower, but MN is full of tulips, which are my favourite! Oh, and the lilacs! I guess lilacs are to the north as magnolias to the south, but I just adore lilacs. My aunt in Florida, who has never even heard of lilacs until I showed photos and videos of them, is now crazy to grow a lilac bush down there. Too bad Florida's climate isn't suitable for them.
Yes, like someone said 9 pages ago, you even eat differently during the seasonal changes.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yes, like someone said 9 pages ago, you even eat differently during the seasonal changes.

Yes, oh my God, yes. And Thanksgiving food is the effing BOMB! I make a mean butternut squash soup and a Yorkshire pudding. And girl, don't even get me starting on that pumpkin and pecan pie!

And in the summer there's nothing like grilling outside smoking some chicken or steak or making hamburgers and having a cold one.

Also home made hot chocolate in the winter is incredible, especially on a snowy day.

Old 06-01-2018, 08:52 AM

4,857 posts, read 2,993,379 times
Quote:
Yes, oh my God, yes. And Thanksgiving food is the effing BOMB! I make a mean butternut squash soup and a Yorkshire pudding. And girl, don't even get me starting on that pumpkin and pecan pie!

And in the summer there's nothing like grilling outside smoking some chicken or steak or making hamburgers and having a cold one.

Also home made hot chocolate in the winter is incredible, especially on a snowy day.
I'm a man. Don't forget the pumpkin latte.

Yep, it's like ingrained into our culture I guess. Not sure if you're a sports fan, but I think that is intertwined as well. Especially football.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 AM

949 posts, read 613,308 times
Quote:

One of my most powerful memories tied to smells other than foods, is of lilacs in full bloom in MN. Vast bushes of purple and white ones, heavily perfuming the air as I walked through my neighborhood in St. Paul.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:23 AM

44,953 posts, read 36,253,688 times
Yep, we revel in the changes of season here in Texas as well - that's one reason why we built our outdoor living area, grilling area, and fire pit, because we use it at least nine months out of the year (and I personally sit outside on the patio just about all year in the mornings and evenings - drinking coffee in the morning and a glass or wine in the evenings - my husband calls me a "porch sitter!"). We have a pergola and hot tub we use from about October through April, and we're about to put in a pool which we'll use from April through October.

Like others have said, foods change throughout the seasons too, which is nice. As you can probably guess, FOOTBALL is big around here, so we really use that outdoor TV and fire pit especially during football season. Lots of grilling going on then. March through October is our fresh produce extravaganza so we have tons of fresh fruits and veggies then. Of course, like most regions, Thanksgiving and especially Christmas the focus is more on baking (though we still have some fresh produce around Thanksgiving). Then there's Mardi Gras season with it's Cajun influences and the start of crawfish season! And then we're back to the fresh local produce - tons of tomatoes, squash, melons, sweet onions, peppers, peas, etc. Meat is an afterthought during the summer around here! But definitely not in the fall and winter!

I have a whole closet downstairs full of seasonal decor and since we have a neutral leather sofa and colorful area rugs, I pull out different colors with throw pillows and afghans throughout the year - greens and purples for Mardi Gras and spring, oranges and cobalt blue for summer, orange and green and brown for fall, and then a riot of jewel tones for Christmas (no red and green traditional stuff here, I have a big collection of vintage glass ornaments and so the emphasis is sparkly color!). We have about 8 different wreaths and flags for outside for various seasons and holidays.

I love garlands for the mantel. In fact, since our house is a traditional Low Country style, it's very symmetrical and there are two main focal points - the mantel and the dining room table. So I love decorating both those areas for various seasons. I have slip covers for the dining room chairs that I change out as well as the seasons shift.

I am big into fresh flowers so we have fresh flowers from the yard in vases from about March through October. Oh, and camellias in the winter time! Right now I have a big vase full of daylilies, with roses in several smaller vases - those and gerber and shasta daisies will be the main cuttings through the summer. In the spring we have glads and irises and azaleas. I could have hydrangeas in the mix most of the summer but I hate cutting those blooms because I love seeing them outside so much!

I can't wait to put in the pool because then we will have a truly 12 month outdoor living area/backyard and we will really enjoy that. From October through April we will have the fire pit and hot tub, and then from April or May through September we'll have the pool. We're going to put in a heater too but I hear it's expensive to heat the pool in the winter so we'll probably just heat it up when grandkids are here for Thanksgiving or Christmas. We plan to put the pool in this fall. WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

So errrr, no - changes of seasons are definitely NOT overrated!

Old 06-02-2018, 07:40 AM

6,865 posts, read 7,813,769 times
We have a local videographer who beautifully captures all things Philadelphia. In his latest 2 minute release, he compares the city landscape in winter v spring. Which is your favorite?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XpSgtopQLWA

Old 06-02-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm a man. Don't forget the pumpkin latte.

Yep, it's like ingrained into our culture I guess. Not sure if you're a sports fan, but I think that is intertwined as well. Especially football.
Playing touch football on a cool fall day is also great. I like football enough but not too a "fan" status. Now, my man is a Cowboys fan through and through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or