U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 12:40 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I've lived in Phoenix for 17 years now (originally from New York) and still don't miss seasons or cold; 4 seasons isn't for everyone. In fact the majority of the worlds population lives in the tropics and subtropics
Yea... the wonderful tropical third world where disease runs rampant and clean water is a luxury. There's not a tropical country I would want to live in, and I was BORN in one. I guess the Polynesian ones seem nicer, though. And if I didn't mind the weather or the isolation, I might love to live in Hawaii but the rest of the tropical world? Yea, right. Live in Venezuela? Cuba? (again?) Uganda? I'll pass.

A good chunk of those tropical places are run by dictators too. Maybe its the constant heat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I'm not cherry picking. The winter in NYC is milder than that of Ann Arbor MI (a wild guess as to where you went to college).
https://weatherspark.com/y/16511/Ave...tes-Year-Round (Ann Arbor) Coldest January day High/Low-31/17 Cold season: Dec. 1-March 8
https://weatherspark.com/y/23912/Ave...tes-Year-Round
More mid-Atlantic cities: 39/28 Cold season: Dec. 3-March 12
Pittsburgh: https://weatherspark.com/y/19773/Ave...tes-Year-Round 37/23 Cold season: Dec. 2-March 3
Philadelphia: https://weatherspark.com/y/22721/Ave...tes-Year-Round
40/26, Dec. 2-March 7
Baltimore: https://weatherspark.com/y/21918/Ave...tes-Year-Round 43/30 (barely below freezing), Dec. 1-March 8.

AA is considerably colder than these mid-Atlantic cities. Length of winter similar for all, about 3 months, not 5.

Some people don't think everything looks dead after the leaves fall. I don't think there are any stats for when the last leaves fall off the trees. In Pittsburgh, where I grew up, it was generally around Halloween. Interestingly, in Champaign, IL, same latitude and in the midwest, it is often into November until the trees are bare (what trees there are there).

Agree, just because the leaves are gone doesn't mean its "dead looking." (not that there's anything wrong with things looking dead, provided its the appropriate season) I mean for one thing, once the snows come then its bright and pretty outside. And in spring, things get green pretty quickly. Even in a cold spring the grass doesn't take long to get green and once those buds open its all uphill from there. The only "dead" month here IMO is November, and we still have some fall colour in the first week or so of that month. In a typical year, the end of April is already colourful and springy. This year was delayed but again, snow keeps it from looking drabby.

Real "dead" looking places IMO are places like Arizona or the interior of southern California, where its just sand and rocks and spiky plants. A beauty of its own but less life than a deciduous wooded zone.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:16 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
One time I was in Colorado in June and it snowed - c'mon, man. Have mercy! (This was in Colorado Springs.)
For the record, measurable snow in June in Colorado Springs is exceedingly rare. In fact, over the last 70 years it's happened a grand total of twice. The last time was 43 years ago today (6/10/1975). The city got 1.1" of snow on that day. Two days later it was 77 degrees.

Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
I've lived in Phoenix for 17 years now (originally from New York) and still don't miss seasons or cold; 4 seasons isn't for everyone. In fact the majority of the worlds population lives in the tropics and subtropics
FWIW, places like DFW and Phoenix would likely still be inconsequential map dots had air conditioning never been invented.

Old 06-10-2018, 02:19 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
FWIW, places like DFW and Phoenix would likely still be inconsequential map dots had air conditioning never been invented.
Woulda coulda shoulda, always fun to speculate what if to try to make your point; but in the real world, AC was invented and Dallas and Phoenix are both in the Top 15 metros in the country

Old 06-10-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea... the wonderful tropical third world where disease runs rampant and clean water is a luxury. There's not a tropical country I would want to live in, and I was BORN in one. I guess the Polynesian ones seem nicer, though. And if I didn't mind the weather or the isolation, I might love to live in Hawaii but the rest of the tropical world? Yea, right. Live in Venezuela? Cuba? (again?) Uganda? I'll pass.

A good chunk of those tropical places are run by dictators too. Maybe its the constant heat
Singapore, South Africa and Australia aren't third world....

Old 06-10-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Singapore, South Africa and Australia aren't third world....

South Africa is not somewhere I'd wanna live... at all. Huge water issues and racial tensions that make any part of America seem like kumbayah-happy-land. Don't care for Singapore though I'm sure its not bad, Australia's nice I guess. Still not somewhere I live. But okay, Singapore and Australia... versus... pretty much most of Europe and north America and northeast Asia (South Korea, Japan) The places with the highest standards of living tend to be colder places. Maybe not because of the weather (though possibly, partly, as less diseases) but just happenstance in general. Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland are all fantastic nations with a high quality of life. Its about quality, not quantity. India has so many people, but would you really want to live there?

Old 06-10-2018, 02:45 PM

6,577 posts, read 3,667,513 times
Quote:
Today made me realise how much more I prefer shoveling snow than mowing lawns
I hate cutting grass but my old neighbors in the Midwest were addicted to it. I moved to the high desert and rarely if ever, hear a lawn mower -- wonderful. Right now it is 94 degrees, a nice breeze at 8% humidity, windows open and my swamp cooler pushing out cooler air (no AC). Very pleasant - if I'm not in the sun...which will get you in no time at over 5,000 ft. We have about six seasons if you consider the August monsoons and the April windy season. Winters are short and mild. Maybe a couple snow showers. My Goldfish pond didn't freeze the last two years. Summers are reasonable and rarely reach 100 -- and June is our hottest month. Summer nights are always cool. Fall is gorgeous. Escaping the Midwest humidity made a tremendous difference.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
South Africa is not somewhere I'd wanna live... at all. Huge water issues and racial tensions that make any part of America seem like kumbayah-happy-land. Don't care for Singapore though I'm sure its not bad, Australia's nice I guess. Still not somewhere I live. But okay, Singapore and Australia... versus... pretty much most of Europe and north America and northeast Asia (South Korea, Japan) The places with the highest standards of living tend to be colder places. Maybe not because of the weather (though possibly, partly, as less diseases) but just happenstance in general. Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland are all fantastic nations with a high quality of life. Its about quality, not quantity. India has so many people, but would you really want to live there?
I would seriously retire to either Ixtapa or Acapulco Mexico when I no longer need to work for a living

Old 06-10-2018, 06:44 PM

751 posts, read 336,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Not to say that it's wrong to like a change of seasons, but I personally don't see why people like it so much.
Living in the New York metro area, an area that gets 4 very distinct seasons, I can't stand it. Especially the change from summer to fall when it's that awkward point in late September/October and you don't know what to where because it's 40 degrees in the morning and 75 by 1 in the afternoon. Don't even get me started on winter. I'd rather have a year long summer/warm climate like So.Cal or Texas/Florida

Anyone else feel this way?
Live in CT and I couldn't agree more. What good are four seasons when 2 1/2 of them suck? I'd take "boring" California weather ANY day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or